Author Topic: Ferret Nation Modification tutorial with Measurements  (Read 52539 times)

Offline munkeesmama

Ferret Nation Modification tutorial with Measurements
« on: May 20, 2007, 12:39:38 AM »
Ok, well the first night went well no escapees. Second night two of our girls got out. 3rd night my nubby girl decided she should come visit me in bed and give me snuggles 3 times before I put her in another cage. So, tonight the modification began. They chewed right through screening so back to the hardware store I went for the green pvc coated hardware mesh (1/2"x1/2"). I picked up a cheapie pair of wire cutters (like $12) and 6 rolls of the hardware mesh (I think I'll only need 5 though). So, about $60 bucks later out I walked and home I went. I also got 200 of the heavy duty 7" black zip ties, and about 100 of the tiny (for computer parts and such) zip ties. For those of you who have ordered your FN's and want to have the hardware cloth cut and ready for when your FN arrives (like I did but didn't have the correct measurements to prepare) here are the measurements you'll need and amounts.

Measurements are taken from the INSIDE of the doors and harware cloth was assembled that way as well. I did the front, back, sides, and top. I did not do the bottom as the bottom pan covers it and my girls don't move the pan. If you feel the need to than you would just make 2 pieces the size of the tops.

(4) Doors= 16" x 21"
(4) Sides= 21 1/2" x 22 1/2"
(2) Backs= 34 1/2" x 22 1/2"
(1) Top= 34 1/2" x 221/2"

Notes: The hardware cloth tends to roll since it comes in a roll. Flip it "backwards" while attaching it to the cage. You can also bend it backwards to keep it straight. It helps to have 2 people working on it. One to hold it in place and one to zip tie. It took about an hour or so to do just the top part of the cage. It's fairly easy though once you find your groove. I hope this helps somebody!

:BlueDumboSmile:

Here's the top of the cage:

And the side of the cage:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 03:28:01 AM by munkeesmama »

Elaina, owned by 11 rats, 1 dog, 3 kids

Offline twistedlittle-puppy

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Ferret Nation Modification tutorial with Measurements
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:33:03 AM »
excellent thread!! I've always wondered how others modified their FNs (though I'm still hoping Midwest comes out w/ a "rat nation"). so, did you only end up using 5 rolls?

Offline munkeesmama

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 03:37:29 AM »
Yes, we only ended up using 5 rolls. We used the 2ftx3ft rolls. they also make a 3ftx5ft roll bt i figured there would be too much cutting and alot more waste that way. I totally missed they were coming out with a rat nation before buying the FN. Oh well, i don't mind the modification. :)

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 10:58:44 AM »
Good job! I'm thinking of maybe doing that until my little Ness is bigger. She hasn't come out yet but I know she could if she really wanted to.
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline a1issa

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 01:37:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the measurements - I need to modify mine too!
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »
Wouldn't the hardware cloth get slightly less dirty if it was attached to the outside of the cage, and also be easier to scrub that way?

I'm just curious on your logic for putting it in the inside.  :)
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:44:10 PM »
I attached mine on the inside as well. At the time I did mine I figured I had seen enough cages with wire attached on the OUTSIDE and they look cheap/tacky. The wire attached on the inside looks much nicer. You still get the look of the general cage, but with added security. I figure I have to replace the wire about once a year (it chips/rusts in places)...but no biggie in my opinion.

Thanks for the measurements. I still have to do my boys cage and I do not really want to measure it all out again Hahahaha

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline munkeesmama

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:21:06 AM »
Wouldn't the hardware cloth get slightly less dirty if it was attached to the outside of the cage, and also be easier to scrub that way?

I'm just curious on your logic for putting it in the inside.  :)

It might be easier to clean on the outside, but i've found (at least with my cages) the sides really don't get THAT dirt and don't really require anything more than a wipe down everynow and then. I also know if it's on the inside than the ratties can't get stuck between the fn bars and the harware cloth, oh and it looks alot nicer as well.  :rattysmiley:

Offline munkeesmama

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 12:22:32 AM »
I attached mine on the inside as well. At the time I did mine I figured I had seen enough cages with wire attached on the OUTSIDE and they look cheap/tacky. The wire attached on the inside looks much nicer. You still get the look of the general cage, but with added security. I figure I have to replace the wire about once a year (it chips/rusts in places)...but no biggie in my opinion.

Thanks for the measurements. I still have to do my boys cage and I do not really want to measure it all out again Hahahaha

-Melina

you're welcome! Figured it would help somebody out! I know that I wanted to have everything ready and good to go by the time I got my fn but had trouble finding measurements, so thought this would help some other eager beaver like myself out.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline munkeesmama

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 02:18:55 AM »
Bump for NatalieB  :thumbsup2: :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline NatalieB

• My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 02:30:58 AM »
LOL, thanks!  I just went looking for it, too!

I'm taking notes... and will hit the hardware store tomorrow.   :thumbsup2:
~Natalie, mom to 3 little humans, 2 Great Pyrs, a hip dysplastic lab mix, a lovely black cat, and our beloved ratties: Bella, Brietta, Bianca, John, Jar-Jar NekkieButt, and Spec(tacular).  RIP James and Joel, Dec '07 (rats) and the best kitty ever, Polo ('97-'08)

Offline a1issa

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 09:23:03 PM »
I've been looking for black zip ties, and have had a hard time finding them.  Today I found them at Harbor Freight, and they're on sale for $3.99 for 100.
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »
Can someone possibly get me the measurement for the inside of the base floor pans? :)

I bought some auto floormat carpet stuff today, I am going to try to cut that to fit inside the pans.
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »
[ I also know if it's on the inside than the ratties can't get stuck between the fn bars and the harware cloth, oh and it looks alot nicer as well.  :rattysmiley:

We got our FN in october and was fine with our current 4 girls.  But in Feb or march we adopted 3 little girls and chose to modify the top of the FN only for these three and not even introduce them to the older 4 as we have an senior rat that was VERY territorial and chose not to introduce anymore to her.

We also chose to put the green pvc coated hardware cloth on it.  We put ours on the inside mostly for the safety issue...i had bad visions in my mind of one of the little ones managing to get stuck between the FN bars and the hardware cloth. 

And for a bonus i thought the look was really good with it in the inside.  I did attach mine slightly different but still with zip ties.  i did not go over the door frame itself.

I think it is imperative to use a 2nd person especially for the tops...those were a B****.
I started with the doors and got the hang of it before attempting the top and sides of the cage. 

I think that I will probably end up modifying the enitre cage at a later date if necessary.

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 12:31:13 PM »
I did the same thing. Coated hardware cloth, 1/2X1/2" black zip ties.
:)
It was a bit hard but it got done.
The only thing I didnt like is that my ratties are exceptionally dirty..then had junk caked in between the edges of the wire EVERYWHERE! I ended up removing the cloth and cleaning the whole cage and wire sheets individually. I then attempted to cover it with screen..yeah..that was WAY too hard and was not working so I put the mesh back on again.

Good thing is that it is easy to cut the zip ties and remove the sheets of cloth to clean underneath. :)
Critters, critters everywhere, we're never short on love <3
Pooches: Kole, Dally and Cheyenne
King of the household our feline friend Gibson
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.
Three rattie girls Hoodlum and the no name twins
My snazzy Betta buddy Sake
and my beloved equine friend, 1100lbs of heart Kaycejones

Offline Lilratscal

• Carole and her Lil Ratscals
    • Lil Ratscals Rattery
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 04:14:33 AM »
munkeesmama thank you for the great idea as I have been torn on getting a third FN for my babies but was trying to dream up some ideas. Looks great what you did.  :)

Offline OdysseyDesign

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattery Closed
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 07:47:42 PM »
I wanted to bump this thread up as it has important information people will benefit from.

Offline CrazyRattieMommie

• Ritten
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 03:31:44 AM »
thank you so much for this awesome thread. it helped me sooo much!!!

Offline BlueFrog

• 2nd Hand Ranch and Rescue
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »
This tutorial is superb, and has given me the confidence to go ahead and modify half of my FN so the "big girls" (especially my very dominant female Jamie) can sniff the "baby girls" for a while before they finally live together.

Given just how useful this article is, and how many of us are using FNs to house females and babies, is there any chance of getting the thread (or at least the relevant posts) stickied? People have been really good about bumping it, but maybe that's a sign it needs a permanent place above so they don't have to.
A good rat is never a bad color!

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »
This is a super great idea.  I have all giant boys now, who have no chance in heck of getting out, but after they pass, I'll surely have some babies to keep in.  Or, I could just buy a whole new RN.  Hee hee.
~Rebecca

Offline munkeesmama

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 06:45:38 PM »
This is a super great idea.  I have all giant boys now, who have no chance in heck of getting out, but after they pass, I'll surely have some babies to keep in.  Or, I could just buy a whole new RN.  Hee hee.

When I called them about the Rat nation they said that it was NOT coming out this year and may not ever come out. I called them about 2 weeks ago.  :icon_scratch:

Offline Spatx

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 07:16:45 PM »
Wish I had seen this thread before I modified! But I made out alright in the end  :rattysmiley: For the life of me I could NOT find coated hardware cloth.  :-\ I ended up buying galvanized because I was eager to get it modded. (Having a set-up FN sitting empty in your house for more than 24 hours doesn't feel right! lol). I bought the 4" electrical ties that come in packs of 100. I used both packs up  ::)

I attached the wire to the outside of the doors, mainly because I'm paranoid that the babies will somehow poke themselves on the trimmed edges. I'd rather poke myself (and did many times while cutting). I prefer the FN without wire, but for those of us who own small females (or those escape-artists), and/or babies, the modification is needed.

(Ignore the messy bedding, I have no fleece yet!)

Shelley's owned by 13 rats.
Boys: Maurice, Sparrow, Bobo & Vincent
Girls: Lily, George, Ella, Luna, Mora, Zoe, Cocoa, Tessa & Addie

Offline lucy

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »
Thanks so much for the great cutting measurements!  It made it so nice to just be able start cutting everything out,  :bow:

Offline munkeesmama

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »
Your welcome!  :thumbsup2:

Offline miz_bobbi

• Ritten
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 03:10:18 AM »
 :bow:I also want to thank you...It gives me a chance to get started while I wait for the FN to arrive! :doh: