Author Topic: Do male rats have nipples?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline CaroCaro

• Posts Too Much!
Do male rats have nipples?
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:44:24 AM »
Err, I just noticed some nipples (or I think they're nipples) on Timmy, my supposedly neutered boy. He was wriggling so much I couldn't really look at his belly closely. But I'm pretty sure I saw a row of identations where the nipples should be. So did my bf...

:o  :o

Not good....

I got him from a pet store that sells females and neutered males on October. I will try to get a pic of his belly if needed.
Oh, I hope my Timmy isn't a Tina...

Offline Kitzira

• Lost and Prone to Wandering
    • CollectiveKitz
Re: Do male rats have nipples?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 01:46:18 AM »
Nope, males don't have nipples.

Do ya have any pictures of his underbelly and such?  as they say, Pictures are worth a thousand words and answers.

Offline Forensic

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:50:13 AM »
Nope...

Ruh-roh... Has she been with males?   :o

Offline CaroCaro

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Do male rats have nipples (added pic)?
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 02:00:05 AM »

Timmy has been housed with females...

However, I still feel a little unnerved because I've been trying to introduce him and my other supposedly neutered male rat, to my intact males. A good thing the intro didn't go well at all.

Offline Lucifer_Spades

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 02:40:09 AM »
 :sign10: :laughing6: That's Classic!  :laughing6: :sign10:
You just made my day!

Offline Bekah

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 03:04:26 AM »
Congratulations on your be-nippled female ratty.  That's defnitely a little girl--I can even see her little ratty hoo-ha right underneath her urethra.  Good thing those intros didn't work out!!

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:59:11 AM »
Yup, Timmy is definitely a Tina!

Offline ratlets

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kerfuffle is my heart rat!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 11:06:50 AM »
Hehehehe...

a tip for the future... my neutered boys have the remnants of their sacs just before their anus.  Very obviously boys.
Owned by: Bandit, Ushi, Sheepster, & Devil

I'll never forget my Big Boy Kerfuffle, my Scruffy Scruff, & my little Peanut.

Offline CaroCaro

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:31:54 AM »
Thanks guys,
my bf and I still feel a little distraught. We anthromorphise our rats a bit...you know. To us, Timmy is our American good ole' boy... Blue jeans, red checkered flannel shirt, and painting the fence ala Tom Sawyer...

And I've been calling him "My little baby boy" for the last 5 months! It's going to be a hard habit to break....

Not to mention I feel silly for not noticing it before....
Heh...

Offline slynx

• Posts Too Much!
    • Maya's blog
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
ROFL!!  I understand your feelings, but am giggling nonetheless.

I had the same question when we picked Bug and Sebastian up at the shelter (Pee Rag isn't spayed, and, cute as they are, baby ratlings are the last thing I want!).  Sebastian is neutered, but has those little pink sacs Ratlets mentioned.  Being paranoid, I just had to check that he wasn't hiding anything in them.  Let me tell you, it certainly raises a few eyebrows at the shelter when you grab your soon-to-be-adopted new rat by the sac, probe enthusiastically while crooning, "Just let me have a good feel...gooood boy....goooooooood boy," and then proudly turn to your SO and announce, "Nope, nothing there!  And did you see how he just went limp and let me do that!!"  Right then Bug, whose tag listed her as an "intact male rat" wandered out of her hammock and spread herself against the bars of her cage...leading me to demand a chance to feel her up also.  I am still a little surprised that I was allowed to adopt any rats at all  :yelcutelaugh:

I don't have any great photos of Sebastian's undercarriage, but here's a blurry one that shows the pink ghost of goolies past. 

He's doing his best passive resistance move...the one where he goes totally limp and his fat rolls just slither through my fingers.  Very effective!

Offline Nekonia

• i love remmy!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »
 :o OMG where's his tail???

Offline JMBIndy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
LOL!  This makes for a good argument to give rats sex-neutral names!  Pitter & Patter, Tick & Tock... etc, etc!
Owned by 2 dogs (Zane & Merlin), 2 cats (Shadow & Brightspot), 3 cockatiels (PJ, Sweetie Pie, Teddy), 1 Beta fish (Mars) and 1 Blue Dumbo rat (Rosie)

Offline slynx

• Posts Too Much!
    • Maya's blog
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »
He has it flipped up behind him!  I promise, we didn't pull it off (though Bug keeps trying...)  ;)

It's curled behind him and the base is dark, so it just kind of blends into the background.  You can see it in a bigger version of that pic, but not in the little one I have uploaded.  Well, maybe you can see the edge of it...just to the left of his bum.

Offline baileyandskye

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 12:58:57 AM »
Just curious caro, did you get your little rattie from pet house in goleta?

i ended up caving in and getting a little girl there about a month ago...
Owned by Bailey and Skye
(aka: Double Trouble)

and my new baby girl, Olive...the sneakiest little devil of the bunch...

Offline CaroCaro

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 02:18:12 AM »
Yes I did actually...I used to like the fact that they have neutered males for much cheaper than what I would pay to have them neutered myself. Lol.... and that's how I got Timmy...and Sebastian. I double, and triple checked Sebastian. I'm pretty sure he IS a neutered male.

So now you have Bailey, Skye, and who's the little girl?

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 09:54:03 AM »
You can tell when a boy's been neutered by the remainder of the goolies but you can also feel the spay scar in females.  I just checked this right now with my 17 month girl.  :) 
Tina's got a cute belly.  :D

Offline embryodb

• Posts Too Much!
  • (Cara)
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »
I'm really surprised to hear that there's a pet store that sells already neutered males.  Less surprised to hear that one was actually a female.

I mean, what's the incentive for them to do that?  It must be hard to make a profit if they really do sell neutered males for less than the cost of surgery. 

Buuut, it WOULD be profitable to pass off females as "neutered males", and sell them for more money because of this....  ::)

Offline baileyandskye

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 05:29:52 PM »
they do have a lot of very cute ratties in there! your kiddo's coloring is beautiful...im jealous!

my new little girl is named olive...i went in there one day (just to look!) and fell in love. they brought her out and she just sat up on my shoulder and starting cleaning herself...and i was a goner!

Im going to have to stop going in there!!!!
Owned by Bailey and Skye
(aka: Double Trouble)

and my new baby girl, Olive...the sneakiest little devil of the bunch...

Offline CaroCaro

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 06:13:10 PM »
We decided to keep Timmy's name but now that I found out that he's a she...I feel like I gotta go and get a real boy rat just to balance out the family census, lol. Keeping my eye on one of those BEW babies in Sacramento available in the adoption section. That would bring my total to 8, 4 boys and 4 girls. For some reason, I like things that are balanced like that  :eek:.

I'm really surprised to hear that there's a pet store that sells already neutered males.  Less surprised to hear that one was actually a female.

I mean, what's the incentive for them to do that?  It must be hard to make a profit if they really do sell neutered males for less than the cost of surgery.

Buuut, it WOULD be profitable to pass off females as "neutered males", and sell them for more money because of this....  Roll Eyes
I never really understand it either. They used to only sell neutered males and females (now for some reason they started selling intact males too). But they're all at the same price. So, no idea how they make money.