Author Topic: Check out my new 15" wheel!  (Read 4694 times)

Offline a1issa

Re: Check out my new 15" wheel!
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
It's not mesh but check out the ChinSpin (below the flying saucers) http://www.qualitycage.com/exwheels.html

I have 2 flying saucers, 2 chinspins, and 1 leo braun wheel for the chins - I would take the chinspins any day of the week over the other wheels.  They are worth the money. 

The problem with chins is how fast they run on the wheels - they also don't just run, but they jump up, they do somersaults, ride the wheel around, and if you have 2 + chins in the cage they also will stop the wheel on a chin who is running.  So there is potential with some types of wheels for accidents.  The three named above are all as safe as can be expected, but for the money the chinspin is the way to go- also the durability, it's the quietest one we have. 

My rats have never shown interest in running, so no feedback as to how they work with them. 

Doesn't the wood get stinky?  I don't know if chins like to go on the run, but the rats really do.  And wood just soaks up the urine and reeks and reeks...
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline Lmbswimmer

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »
I have never had a chin pee in the wheel - so never had a stink issue with the wood.
I just took a look at one of the chinspins, and it appears that the metal is screwed onto the wood, and therefore if you could get a round piece of wood, or any other material could either repair/replace as needed. 

You could always paint the wood with kid safe/scrubbable paint so that you could at least wipe it off.  Just trying to come up with a solution - you could also call and ask them if they know of a way to modify the wheel. 

Offline Myrhme

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 10:57:58 PM »
But at that site, they show another wheel below the wooden one (15" -- $30)  -- solid galvanized metal that has been powder coated.  It's open on both sides.  I wish I knew if that one was good for rats!   Does anyone know anything about that wheel?

Offline Myrhme

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »
has anyone ever tried the saucer-wheel with rats?

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 11:59:41 PM »
i got one like that with my my first home exotic cage my boys love it.

R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline a1issa

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »
I'm sure that galvanized one would be just fine.  In fact, I think it's a very good option, and it's very well priced.  I'd go for that one if I (and the rats) didn't prefer mesh.  The powder coating does make me wonder how they get traction, though, and whether it'd be necessary to put down strips of rubber or something. 

If you type in saucer in the search field when you're in Home Squeak Home, you'll find a few threads about the flying saucer.  Some people really seem to like it, others find it hard to get clean.  It seems like most rats caught on to it pretty quickly.

I think I've figured out how to modify my big wheel to get it fixed - just make a whole new back panel, and use a buttload of epoxy to strengthen the remaining cracked plastic. 
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline Myrhme

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 08:27:45 AM »
which one, ratlovingkippy?  the open sided or the saucer wheel?

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 10:31:06 PM »
Open sided. Its big and blue goes well with the black and blue cage.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline Myrhme

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 02:20:18 AM »
with the open sided wheel, do they ever get hurt with the side rail -- especially when they're trying to enter or leave a spinning wheel?

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 05:47:45 AM »
nope, they only use it every once in a while.. its funny i have 10 rats both male and female and i have maybe seen 2 to 3 of them go on a wheel.

Offline Cryllin_Myrrh

• Posts Too Much!
  • Im exhausted from living up to your expectations..
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »
I got my girls a wheel when i got them, and they dont seem to use it at all!  :confused: