Author Topic: Custom F-475  (Read 1165 times)

Offline *Tiana*

• SoCali Girl
Custom F-475
« on: June 22, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »
I e-mailed Martin's last night about customizing the F-475 for me but there's a couple things I'm not sure about.

The lady who replied said the wire would be 1/2 x 1". Is that too big for babies around 6-8 weeks? Also she mentioned having wire covering the floor, above the slide out pan. Now, I've never ever had a problem with my boys in the past chewing the pan, just the fabric on it. Should I go for the wire floor or not? I feel like it would be easier without since I'll be using towels and flannel as bedding.

Also, to cover the levels, how would I do that? I'm thinking that binder clips wouldn't fit through the bars and I'm not sure what else I could use to help keep it in place. Also, does the cage sit inside the pan our out? I'm wondering how I'd keep the fabric on the pan...Also is a flip top lid for that cage really necessary? I'm only 5'4 and 48" is a little awkward to work with.

And one last thing- what's better to use to put the Martin's together? The zip ties or the c rings? TIA.

~Tiana
~Tiana

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
Re: Custom F-475
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 02:27:39 PM »
The floor wire should be 1/2" x 1/2".  The outside walls should be 1/2" x 1", which is normal for a rat cage.  No worries at all about escapees.  :)  As for covering the floors, you can, but it's not necessary.  You can just put a bit of fabric through the cage and then clip it from the outside.   

Does the cage sit inside the pan? If so, just make the fabric a little bit bigger than the pan, so the cage sits on top of the fabric.  :)

I highly suggest starting off using zip ties, just incase you 1) put it together wrong, or 2) ever need to break down the cage for whatever reason.

With the larger doors on that cage, I wouldn't worry about a flip-top.  Wheels and other larger toys fit through the doors just fine, and you can easily reach in to get to any area of the cage through the doors.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:13:12 PM »
1/2"x1" spacing is fine for babies. You don't need the wire floor above the pan if they don't chew it. Since the pan is a pull-out pan, the cage sits outside the pan. The doors are huge; I can actually crawl through mine. Also, the cage is so tall you won't be able to go in through the top anyways. I cut lino (off the roll, not the sticky tiles) to fit the levels and then I just put down towels on top of that.

Apparently Martin's will do the 475 in both powder-coated and PVC-coated wire now. I have mine in PVC coated and I haven't had any issues but powder-coated makes the cage less heavy and the bars less dense-looking.

Offline *Tiana*

• SoCali Girl
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 04:57:13 PM »
Well I just ordered it. They said it should be here next week or so. Plenty of time to set it up since my babies won't be coming home until July. I got it in 1/2 x 1" wire, powder coated with an extra balcony and no wire floor. I'm so excited!!!  :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Now, do I need to get extra zip ties from Home Depot or will they have shipped enough?
~Tiana

Offline Nokithis

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:23:24 PM »
i'd seriously recommend the floor wire if you got the slide-out tray--sometimes ratties just wake up and think, "today, i shall start chewing!"  buy zip ties, like a zillion, from walmart or on ebay!  i now have several lengths 4" black to put the cage together on up to 12"  you will seriously love this cage--it's a dream!
at the bridge: rosie, lucyhoney, ms kara, rani, noki, thistle, pi, koko, teacup, miss lana, whisper, kiefer, misha, kismet, summer, lizabeth darlin, karma, ophelia, willow, daisy, clarissa, lillian, kira, sasha, yum yum, violet, codyrat, kyley, abracadabra mackenzie rat, squeekeekee, riley, & fiona.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
I disagree on the floor wire. If I'd bought it it'd have been a serious waste of money. :P Martin's only give you c-rings, so you have to buy your own zip ties from a hardware store. :)

Offline *Tiana*

• SoCali Girl
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »
Well, since I'm gonna be using towels/flannel as bedding and the cage will be directly sitting on the floor, the wire bottom really wasn't necessary. Even if they did chew, the cage is covering the pan so they wouldn't be getting out anytime soon. I really am excited though. It's gonna be sooooooo nice having those big wide doors and all that floor space!
~Tiana

Offline RompStompnBoogie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »
Hey!  I just ordered the same cage the other day!  I'm so excited about getting it!  Should be here next week sometime.  I did get the floor wire, I DO have chewers!  And they will stop at nothing to chew their way out and escape...little bratties.