Author Topic: New Rattie Owner looking for cage info =D  (Read 986 times)

Offline FiggyT

New Rattie Owner looking for cage info =D
« on: June 24, 2007, 03:00:37 AM »
I bought my first rat a little over three weeks ago, and the second probably two weeks ago. I did absolutely *no* research on the things (yes, very bad idea on my part, but I'm such an animal lover I couldn't help the purchase  :-[) and ended up getting a smallish cage from the pet store. (Which I now know to be a bad-ish place to buy the little ones) Since getting the first, I've been spending hours with my laptop reading about rats, rat cages, rat food, rat health and all that, then I found this site (and what a great site it is).

So, to the point, really, I'd love to acquire more rats in the near future, and the cage I've got now isn't that great, even for two rats. (Some kind of 24x12x12 I think) Looking at all of the "FN" cages (still not quite sure what that stands for  :doh:) piqued my interest. I don't know exactly how old my girls are, but they're about a handful each. I wasn't sure if those cages would have spaces between the wires big enough for them to squeeze through or not, so I figured I'd ask about it. Also, any kind of helpful tidbits for a newbie rat owner would be great.  ;D

Terribly sorry for the horrible message orginization ;P

:heart: figgyT
One girly left - Shiva
Two Cats - Midnight and Tonks
and two Snakes [one unfortunately decided to get himself lost..] - Degei and Pollux

R.I.P. Pest; May 2007-August 2007

Offline Ratlover57

Re: New Rattie Owner looking for cage info =D
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 03:28:27 AM »
FN stands for Ferret Nation. they are great cages but have kinda large spaceing. if you are looking for a good cage for your girls try a Martins they are great i have 3. they are easy to clean and have tons of space. not to mention they are priced fairly.

www.martinscages.com
  [edit]
Pets name: (LOLA)
Adopted by: (Robyn)

Adopt your own!

Offline Giddy

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 07:24:55 AM »
The more space they have the better. Thats my suggestion anys.
Try to get a powder coated cage too. They are the best and last longer.

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 07:35:06 AM »
The Ferret Nation is a large ferret cage that many rat owners have modified to use with their kiddos. Unfortunately, it does have 1" bar spacing which smaller adults and young ones can get right out of. You want a cage with 1/2" bar spacing, which Martin's does provide. Martin's has some really great cages, and their prices are very reasonable.

The cage that you get now depends on how far into the future you want to plan. I would suggest getting a 695, which can house up to 5 rats. For now, with just your two small girls, they'll have tons of room to run and play. The general rule is to get the largest cage that you can afford now. it's cheaper in the end, instead of having to buy a new cage every time they grow, or you add to the colony.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:37:34 AM by javakittie »

Offline tattered_teddy_bear

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
The Ferret Nation is a large ferret cage that many rat owners have modified to use with their kiddos. Unfortunately, it does have 1" bar spacing which smaller adults and young ones can get right out of. You want a cage with 1/2" bar spacing, which Martin's does provide. Martin's has some really great cages, and their prices are very reasonable.

The cage that you get now depends on how far into the future you want to plan. I would suggest getting a 695, which can house up to 5 rats. For now, with just your two small girls, they'll have tons of room to run and play. The general rule is to get the largest cage that you can afford now. it's cheaper in the end, instead of having to buy a new cage every time they grow, or you add to the colony.

I have the Martin's 695, i love it, i got the powder-coated, flip top lid. but i wish i had gotten the pull out pan insted of the drop in pan.

Offline FiggyT

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »

I have the Martin's 695, i love it, i got the powder-coated, flip top lid. but i wish i had gotten the pull out pan insted of the drop in pan.

I didn't see the pull out tray as an ordering option. Something special I need to do to get that?
One girly left - Shiva
and two Snakes [one unfortunately decided to get himself lost..] - Degei and Pollux

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:42:34 PM »
I believe you have to e-mail them? I ended up e-mailing them a lot, they have great support.

Offline FiggyT

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »
awesome.
what did it cost you?
One girly left - Shiva

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:57:29 PM »
I have a Ferret Nation for my five girls and I love it. It really is the best cage on the market. I put hardwire mesh on  my cage to prevent  escape because my girls are very petite. It was well worth the work though. The cage is soooo easy to clean, and you can put tons of hammocks and toys in it. I would really invest in a ferret nation if I were you (sorry, don't mean to sound pushy), it's a wonderful cage.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:00:51 PM »
awesome.
what did it cost you?

$114 before shipping
$132 after shipping

Offline FiggyT

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 12:43:03 AM »
thanks for the help! ^_^
One girly left - Shiva

Offline anita1216

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Hanging out with the Fraggle Rat gang...
    • Fraggle Rats
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
Martins does make some wonderful cages, no doubt. I just prefer the FN simply because of its size and the ease of cleaning the thing. The front doors completely open to give you access to the cage. Its so simple to clean that even my ten year old daughter can have the thing clean in twenty minutes, both levels! Its easy to mod the cage with hardware cloth and then its good for bbaies and petite adults. I have my cage covered because my doberman likes rat tails a bit to much :doh:

Good luck with whatever cage you decide to go with!

Offline FiggyT

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
Martins does make some wonderful cages, no doubt. I just prefer the FN simply because of its size and the ease of cleaning the thing. The front doors completely open to give you access to the cage. Its so simple to clean that even my ten year old daughter can have the thing clean in twenty minutes, both levels! Its easy to mod the cage with hardware cloth and then its good for bbaies and petite adults. I have my cage covered because my doberman likes rat tails a bit to much :doh:

Good luck with whatever cage you decide to go with!

Thanks!
How would.. hm. I think when I got them the woman helping me said they were about 6 weeks old or so? Not too sure though, but they're both about the length of my hand. So would they be fine in there or would I have to do the hardware cloth?
One girly left - Shiva

Offline javakittie

• Posts Too Much!
    • KatsRatMats.etsy.com
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »
Girls are generally too small and will be able to get out of the FN, so you would have to modify it and use the hardware cloth.

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
If I was to start over with cages, I would get an FN, hands down, even if it required modification to the large bar spacing.
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.