Author Topic: Feeding question  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
Feeding question
« on: June 30, 2007, 11:01:05 PM »
Aside from access to timothy hay, how many times a day do you feed your bunnies vegetables? I give mine some in the morning, and at night, but it seems he'd eat them every time I put them in there. I'm talking about romaine, bok choy, cilantro - not the treat stuff.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
Re: Feeding question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:39:13 PM »
I give Snoopy his greens once a day at night. I usually fill one of those small plates, not the tea ones, but the mid sized plates (like for cake) heaping to about 3 or 4 inches. Try Kale and curly parsley too. My Bun loves them. I also give him mint, watercress, and spinach which he seems to like. Organic flowers are also a favorite, along with watermelon.
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
Re: Feeding question
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:46:34 AM »
I think whatever timing suits you both.    I think it's useful to use the fresh veggies as training tools.  And I wouldn't worry about him snarfing them all up immediately as long as you don't give too much at once.   That's really only a problem if you have another rabbit (like I do) that can't eat quickly .

I use the fresh vegetable bowl as a way to get them to come home at night.   I also use fresh foods for the "always get a treat when they come to the magic words".

Have you seen these guidelines for feeding?
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html#mature

They also have a list of veggies:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

So glad the big guy is doing well.
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome