Author Topic: Vaccinations..Over Vaccinating..  (Read 1724 times)

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
Vaccinations..Over Vaccinating..
« on: May 30, 2007, 01:24:43 AM »
So I've been reading things about Over vaccination in pets. I have always wondered about this since humans recieve only the equivalent, or less then, puppy/kitten shots as babies.

What do ya'all think/know about this situation?
Critters, critters everywhere, we're never short on love <3
Pooches: Kole, Dally and Cheyenne
King of the household our feline friend Gibson
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.
Three rattie girls Hoodlum and the no name twins
My snazzy Betta buddy Sake
and my beloved equine friend, 1100lbs of heart Kaycejones

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
Re: Vaccinations..Over Vaccinating..
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:00:36 PM »
You will hear different opinions from everyone.  I have heard one person say: I don't vaccinate at all for DHLPP after their first year of puppy vaccines.

Then I had someone say that her dog at 13 or so years old got lepto in the last month before she died because she did not vaccinate her at the end.

My vet has gone to every 3 yr vaccines except for lepto which has to be done yearly.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:33:32 PM »
That's kinda what I'm hearing. I think what I am going to do is cut back the vaccinations to every three years.. or so.. kinda following what this article said.
http://www.all-creatures.org/aip/nl-8oct2002-vacc.html
I dont think I am going to vaccinate any of my animals yearly anymore..I dunno...we'll see..
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:37:48 AM »
My beag was vaccinated a year ago for rabies, bordatella and DHPP (never done for lepto) because that's what the low cost program offered. This year, I ONLY vaccinated for rabies. Studies show the DOI for distemper, CAV-2 and CPV-2 is greater than or equal to 7 years, with an efficiency rate of 90% (rabies efficiency rate at 3 years is only 85%, so 90% on the others is good enough for me). Coronavirus, bordatella, parainfluenza, lepto (not even recommended because many dogs have reactions to it), giardia and lyme disease vaccinations are all considered non-core. The DOI for coronavirus is estimated lifetime, parainfluenza is greater than or equal to 3 years with only 80% efficiency rate and all others I listed have a DOI of less than or equal to a year, with an efficiency rate of 50-75%. Not worth vaccinating for in my opinion. You can read all about in on the International Veterinary Information Service website (www.ivis.org) by searching for articles by R. D. Schultz.

Editted to add: My dog is on a 3 year rabies. It's the same vaccine as the annual rabies, it's just that the vet records it effective for 3 years, not 1.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 01:39:50 AM by Heather »

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »
We rarely have dogs react to lepto here.  We never vaccinate dogs under 10# or dachshunds for it though, because they are most prone to reactions.  We did have a 2 year old Golden react to lepto, but the owners last dog died from lepto so we still vaccinate for it.  I have very much considered vaccinating my 6# yorkie for lepto because it is seen pretty readily.  I never vaccinate for Coronavirus and I started vaccinating for bordatella, but your dog can get other strains of kennel cough anyway, so I figured why bother???  My dogs have been around parvo, possible distemper, kennel cough, and all sorts of intestinal parasites & they have never caught anything.  (I cannot say that anymore I guess because my Yorkie did get KC I just cannot figure out how!! But her immune system was already weakened.)

When my Yorkie came up due for her DHPP this year I had a titer done instead.  Her parvo immunity was sky high and the distemper was adequate.  Their Rabies are every 3 years now after their first yearly one.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:54:33 PM »
We never vaccinate dogs under 10# or dachshunds for it though, because they are most prone to reactions. 

Good to know.  I was told by my breeder not to get my new pup vaccinated for lepto, and I've been meaning to do research on that (she only has one set of shots left, due in a few weeks)
She's currently 3 lbs.
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline Nokithis

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:12:30 AM »
so what do you do when you board your dog and the vet insists on yearly vacs?
at the bridge: rosie, lucyhoney, ms kara, rani, noki, thistle, pi, koko, teacup, miss lana, whisper, kiefer, misha, kismet, summer, lizabeth darlin, karma, ophelia, willow, daisy, clarissa, lillian, kira, sasha, yum yum, violet, codyrat, kyley, abracadabra mackenzie rat, squeekeekee, riley, & fiona.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 11:16:21 PM »
Find a new vet! LOL!

Offline Dogstar

• Kei
    • Chicago Canine
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »
My Golden had a reaction the last time she recieved vaccinations so I am very cautious now. I got a good lecture from my holistic vet after this happened, she is big on vaccination protocols, she wrote an article in Bark magazine a few months ago about over vaccination. Luckily my dog's reaction was not serious-- she developed a sudden limp, was treated for vaccine reaction and recovered well after treatment.

I used to get all kinds of vaccinations for my Golden because she is a therapy dog and they required everything under the sun, but now they have a new policy where they will allow titers OR vaccines.

Offline kaycejonesgrl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 12:11:27 AM »
I havent had much of a chance to do more research on this topic. I did have to get them all vaccinated for Rabies, though they all had a 3yr the year before, because I had no proof to provide the boarding facility. I ended up not even boarding them so it was uneccessary. :( But, ah well, they wont be recieveing vaxs for a few years, and I'll probably get them titered at that time before I do another round.

How much abouts does a titer cost?
aka Colonel Fluffy Bum.