Author Topic: reflexes or just affectionate?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
reflexes or just affectionate?
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:11:12 PM »
I've noticed that my bun Salvador tends to freeze when you kiss him on his head between his eyes or on his nose...he'll melt to the couch or whatever surface he's on, becoming as flat as possible, and laying his ears back, then halfway shut his eyes. if you stop it takes him about half a minute for the "daze" to wear off, and then he normally looks to get more kisses anyway. is it that he's ultra affectionate or is it a reflex thing to flatten him self and freeze?
***On a side note, because i recently found out and thought it hilarious...i listen to a lot of Hindu music and i've noticed Salvador binks A LOT more when he hears it...I guess he really likes all the drums ;D
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
Re: reflexes or just affectionate?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:02:47 AM »
I read somewhere that a gentle pressing on the top of the head is something a rabbit instinctively understands.   I forget what the article said exactly, but they went on to say that they like being groomed about the head and base of the ears, so maybe he's settling down for a good grooming   

I think dominant  rabbits sometimes lay their heads over their less-dominant friends.  So maybe he's submitting.

Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »
thanks...that's kinda funny seeing him as submissive to me, since he isn't submissive at ALL to my mom's 7 cats! *waits anxiosluy while bun charges them AGAIN* phew! they made it to the kitchen counter in time!  ;)

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 02:13:01 AM »
 :yelcutelaugh:  Poor kitties!
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:24:49 AM »
yeah, i'd feel sorry for them too, but the thing is, as soon as my bun's back is turned, they'll go for him again, so i don't think they're as annoyed as they'd like you to think  ;)

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Melissa82

• Imma get jou!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:40:20 AM »
When a bunny lays his head flat on the ground, it means he wants some nose, head, ear petting. They usually start with their head flat onteh ground with thier bum in the air. If they are especially comfortable, they will lay down.

Offline BunGirl

• WildRescue Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 10:11:22 AM »
A good rule of thumb:  if a rabbit is scared, they get ready to run.  Even if they're being really still, they'll be in a position where they can flee immediately, should they need to.  If a rabbit does something where it would take him a second to get up and run, that means he's comfortable with whatever's going on around him.
Secretary, WildRescue Inc.