Author Topic: Black Claw and agression?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
Black Claw and agression?
« on: July 11, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
I have a bun who was born about 3 months ago...He's rather affectionate, though he likes to nibble clothes and sometimes nips you in the process.
ANYWAY, I have 2 major concerns...
1.) He looks to be an English spotted (white with bittersweet chocolate colored spots and ears) I've noticed that it looks like one of his claws is black while the others are pink...he's not limping, but he's not letting me look either...he doesn't like ANY of his feet touched. When you try to look, he squirms and mumbles and nudges your hand with his head.
2.) I've noticed he and the cats chase one another, but it seems that he's butting them with his head rather hard. No one gets hurt, but when the cats want to back away he keeps charging them...Is it play or is it a dominance issue?
Any advise would be appreciated!
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
Re: Black Claw and agression?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »
Some claws are just dark ( on rabs with at least some dark fur, anyway).   

Yeah the head-butting seems like dominance.  Not necessarily a bad thing if they are cats.   Might keep 'em at a paw's length. 

A bit on the language of lagomorphs:

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_intro.html
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
Re: Black Claw and agression?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:40:47 AM »
i figured out the claw thing an hour or so after my post...
looks like my bun ripped off his toenail, and tore the other one, so the black was blood inside his nails...when i let him run around, it all opened up, and he got blood EVERYWHERE...so i put peroxide on it (all i had - i know it stings, but it kept it clean) and made him stay in his pen for the rest of the day so it could lose up and not keep opening it up again and again...he wasn't happy, so i gave him a bunch of organic acarrots and a tiny bit of organic dried pineapple and by the next day it had healed up enough that he could go around the house again, so it's all ok
as long as the headbutting doesn't progress to btiting, i thikn it's ok...the cats like to chase him and have fun (they really are too lazy to hurt him) but when he starts headbutting, they don't like to play anymore and go hide on the countertops or in the kitchen where he won't go b/c of the linolium
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL