Author Topic: Short Tailed Opossums  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
Short Tailed Opossums
« on: July 18, 2007, 02:07:28 PM »
I have done a search online and read information on these critters, but I'm wondering does anyone have any first hand knowledge of Short Tailed Opossums as pets?  I'm interested in first hand info especially on things like temperament and health of STO's.

There is someone breeding them in my city now, and it has peaked my curiousity.
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline Topaz

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Short Tailed Opossums
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 01:02:24 AM »
I did a lot of research on these guys a while back.  They seem to be a more "look but don't touch" animal, but some tolerate handling.  From my understanding, they're a desert animal, and their diet can be a bit tricky unless you do your research.  Google them, and I'm sure there's lots more info than what I can remember. lol

Offline KittyTango

Re: Short Tailed Opossums
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but Short tailed opossums are NOT desert animals they are Rainforest animals. (Hence the name Brazilian Short Tailed Opossum)  They need a high humidity and drink lots of water. They do not bite but have cat like teeth. you can feed them High protein cat foods mixed with a hedgehog diet or ferret diet or you can order opossum food online.  They are omnivores/insectivores.  They are the size of a large hamster or female rat.  They should be bonded to their owner using a bonding pouch and hand feeding treats they like like meal worms and fruit. They need a wheel to run on and will run for HOURS all night long.  They enjoy climbing and have a prehensile tail.  They live on average  4 years but have been said to live up 10 8 with proper care.  They are escape artist and should have a very secure cage.  They can be litter trained but many also will potty on the wheel.
They are solitary and must be kept alone.  Breeding is risky as they will fight and may be injured or even killed.