Author Topic: *update*science diet indoor switched to Nutro then Innova?  (Read 4706 times)

Offline tattered_teddy_bear

• Posts Too Much!
*update*science diet indoor switched to Nutro then Innova?
« on: July 21, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »
Lelu 2 years old and about 13 pounds>>"tad" overwight according to vet
Beep and Calvin 9 months old and growing, Calvin id about 10 pounds and ALL muscle. Beep is 1/3 his size and skinny (seems to be fast metabolism) but all great fur and healthy attitude.
Last but not least little GOOBER (Tucker) is about 4 months old.

I've been feeding Science Diet Indoor to all of them since i Free feed out of a food dispenser
http://www.petco.com/Shop/AlternateImages.aspx?FamilyID=9351&sku=

I change their water 3 times a day at least, and they sit in the kitchen and look at me if their water is not up to par, and is kept in a dog water dish of medium size.

I used to get a few different bags of food kitten/adult/indoor and mix it.  Is the way i'm feeding fine? i've been thinking about it even though they don't seem to care.

any comments, opinions would be great and since i don't have internet at home fast responses would be fabulous.

THANKS!! ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:41:31 PM by tattered_teddy_bear »

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: science diet indoor
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:46:44 PM »
Science Diet is actually a very poor quality food. The ingredients are as follows..

Chicken by-product meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose (10.1% source of fiber), Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Glyceryl Monostearate, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

First off, by products are the MAIN source of protein? Yuck. Now by products in their raw form like heart, kidney, liver are fine for cats when supplemented with meat and bone, but when a dry food uses the COOKED version as it's protein source.. that's not saying much for the company. Next ingredients are grain. Cats are obligate carnivores and do not need or have use for grains. Corn gluten meal and ground whole grain corn are the next 2. Corn is a major allergy for cats and when you have a cat with weight issues, cards certainly don't help with weight loss. Grains are used as cheap fillers in low quality foods. The chicken liver flavor is puzzling.. why is it even there and why just the flavor? The whole liver could not be used? Maybe it was the diseased and unfit livers that were pureed and mixed in the kibble? And the last ingredient I'm going to pick on it "animal fat." What animal is it from? Who knows? Could be roadkill, a euthanized dog or cat, a diseased pig, cow, chicken, turkey or whatever from the slaughter house that they boiled the fat off of and stuck it in the food.  At this point, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

If I were you, find a higher quality food. Even Nutro would be better, but Innova, Merrick, Chicken Soup, Wellness, Felidae or anything sold in health food stores (human and pet) would be better for your cats. I go by the rule if Petsmart/Petco, Walmart or a grocery store sells the brand, it's not a high quality food I want to be feeding my furkids.

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:28:56 PM »

If I were you, find a higher quality food. Even Nutro would be better, but Innova, Merrick, Chicken Soup, Wellness, Felidae or anything sold in health food stores (human and pet) would be better for your cats. I go by the rule if Petsmart/Petco, Walmart or a grocery store sells the brand, it's not a high quality food I want to be feeding my furkids.

I completely agree about sci di, but I wanted to just give everyone a heads up. Petsmart carries the Blue Buffalo/Spa foods and PetCO sells Natural Balance.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:04:50 PM »
Ok.  I've been surfing the net for a while now.  Since Lelu is the picky one and the chubby one, i'm going to try and switch back to innova.  I'm going to try regement their diets, maybe 2 or 3 times a day depending on my work hours and such.  Does anyone have any advice for switching from free feeding to periodic feeding throughout the day.  I'm also worried that Beep will not eat everything she's given and it will be eaten by the other ones, and become even skinnier.  She's a rather strange kitty whom eats one piece of food at a time, playing with it and then eating it.  where can i find how much to feed each of them according to their body weight? 
Lelu & Calvin 10-15lbs
Tucker & Beeo 5-10lbs

All my cats seem to be in great health, but i've been going through this need to eat healthier, of course thinking of my animals, they need to eat healthy too! SO, i'll go back to buying from a different store, but hopefully will not only even out my kitties weight, but save money, since they won't be stuffing their faces whenever they want.  I find it strange that Science Diet can be so unhealthy and my cats fur are all soft and beautiful,  I always thought if an animal(or person) wasn't getting the proper diet the first way to tell is their energy and their fur.

and just for giggles, my BOO BOO SNUGGLES!!!!!!! (LeLu)

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 02:40:52 PM »
Today i've gotten them Nutro for indoor kitties.  I'm going to start feeding them in the morning and at night since that's when they usually eat.  I'm thinking of maybe feeding the girls and boys seperately in different rooms since LeLu and Bebop aren't such piggies as the boys are, and this way i'll know that everyone is eating their own and not stealing from one another.  I was thinking of calling my vet and asking how much i should i feeding them. Though i suppose i have some idea how much each of them eats a day since i go and bug them while they eat since it usually involves them playing and knocking their water dish EVERYWHERE.  I think what i'm going to FIRST do is try the directions on the food and adjust it to what they eat out of it/if they eat it all. so on.  I will not be able to get onto the internet for a week or so after today so PLEASE post any advice.

I was going to get Innova and switch them back but there's not a place around here that sells it and will have to wait until the end of this week to make the drive to get it.

Considering that i know a lot of vets that suggest Science Diet i didn't realize it was unhealthy, plus the fact that my grammother used it for her cat whom just passed away last year at the old age of 18!  Then again i know many people that have used "Bad kinds of food" that had their cats live to almost 20!  o.O arg.

i wonder if i could get a tredmill and teach LeLu to walk on it with me, then we'd be really healthy. :cheeky: Or i could find a SUPER BIG rat wheel. :yelcutelaugh:

*edit to add*
I was using Science diet mainly because where i work is a seller of Sience Diet and he gives me awsome deals on it since it's the main brand we sell, I'll have to talk to him about ordering some other brands of food.  Does anyone one have any idea's on how to go about this?? should i make a write up about a few different brands of food he should add to his inventory that would help?  *hmm* there's a lot of changes i want to suggest but don't really feel it's my place to do so.

thanks again
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:44:58 PM by tattered_teddy_bear »

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
Re: *update*science diet indoor switched to Nutro then Innova?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 09:23:16 PM »
I have been feeding Nutro Natural Choice for the past 9 years.... along with some wet Nutro offered every day.

While it may not be up to par with a food such as Evo (only sold at one pet store in my city as well), it is still a good quality pet food.
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:12:17 AM »
Considering that i know a lot of vets that suggest Science Diet

Vet students' nutrition course in school consists of pet food reps coming in and talking about "nutrition" and their foods. I've also been told that the information in the textbooks is even written by the pet food company! Most vet ofices get kickbacks from SD as well for pushing it so I'm not at all shocked that most of the vets you know are telling you it's what's best. My vet suggested the SD Sensitive Stomach one for my beagle who vomits when he gets anything containing corn, wheat or rice. So.. with the top ingredients being corn tell me HOW this is going to work? I told her "Yea I'll check into it" because she was REALLY adamant about me getting him on the food and of course I just continued with his raw diet, which has ended his vomiting and itching from the first day he'd been on it. But that incident right there told me that when it comes to nutrition, my vet knows squat. I'll venture to say that with their training in school and their thinking inside the box mentality (as most vets rarely venture out of what they are taught to question aspects of health and wellness) most, not all, vets have no clue. I did have Noelle on Nutro dry and canned food until she refused the canned stuff and 3 mos later we found it on the recall list. Thank God she stopped eating it or she could've died. She is on EVO with our other female that vomits nearly every pet store food available. Never had a problem with EVO though.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »
thanks every one!!!! :wave2:

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 01:33:18 PM »
Just have to say - LOVE that pic!!!!   :heart: :yelcutelaugh:

Offline MsMagpie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Angle checks to see if Yoda's home.
    • Epilogue Rat Haven
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 08:03:25 PM »
I'd been feeding Nutro because it's one of the better easy to find foods, after reading the ingredients though, I've decided to switch. My mom sent me about 25 lbs of Solid Gold, and some Felidae. I'm going to try the Felidae and see how I like it, I might switch.
Adopt a rat today!
http://www.epiloguerats.com

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 01:16:33 PM »
I have tried several light foods including wellness, and Innova. I found that Chicken soup adult (not light) holistic formula is what worked for my boy to drop a few pounds to his recommended weight of 14 (from 18) we tried several foods with no luck. The problem with some light foods is they replace the fat with extra carbs which is not good for cats anyway even if they arent overweight.

Offline salmanq

• Ritten
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 07:37:48 AM »
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:01:08 AM by Marybelle »

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 10:28:10 PM »
Can you give us an idea what answers you are looking for?

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
  • How could you NOT love those furry little faces?
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 07:40:26 PM »
Innova, Innova Evo, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold, and Felidae are all excellent choices. Nutro, not so much (I'll never buy a Nutro product again). Natural Balance is good stuff, too and can, as mentioned by someone else, be purchased at Petco. When my kittens became ill from the recalled Nutro, it was (primarily) Natural Balance that brought Rachel, Allen and Meghan back to health.

Nature's Variety, while pricey, is on par with Evo.

Even better, feed your kitties a rotation of multiple brands and flavors. You get the added benefit of avoiding possible food boredom.  :)

There's lots of truly premium stuff out there. Good luck finding what works best for you and your furkids, Tattered_teddy_bear!   :thumbsup2:
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.