Author Topic: Let Midwest know there is interest in a "Rat Nation"  (Read 16165 times)

Offline Melissa82

• Imma get jou!
Re: Let Midwest know there is interest in a "Rat Nation"
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 01:46:20 PM »
If you can get your hands on cooling racks from the dollar store, it is way easier to put on. Luckily, if you score the thicker parts of the cooling rack, you can bend it and break it off to the size you want.

Offline Snowy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »
I sent in a request, too!  I requested smaller bar spacing and horizontal bars so the rats can climb on them.
Former slave to 9 sweet ratties in heaven.  Currently overrun by 6 adorable bunnies and 3 obnoxious cockatiels!

Offline Sweet Whispers Rattery

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 05:54:27 PM »
I sent in the email and got a phone call from Jim Wingate VP of New Products today, but unfortunately I wasn't home so he left a msn. and phone number where to reach him on Monday. He said he can answer any ques. I have and he has a few ques. he'd like to ask regarding the "Rat Nation".

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 01:14:18 AM »
YAY! KEEP US UPDATED!
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!

Offline TEK

• Posts Too Much!
  • QUACK!
    • Tekka Maki Rodentry
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »
I received an email over the weekend with some questions from midwest.  They wanted some facts about the rat community and a few items about development of the Rat Nation.  I responded with an extensive email.  Hopefully something will come of this...
Providing Companions, Not Just Pets For More Than 8 years!
www.tekkarats.com
www.dogguide.net

Offline Spatx

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 02:58:48 AM »
I really do hope something comes of all this, an RN would be amazing  :thumbsup2: Keep us updated on any advances!
Shelley's owned by 13 rats.
Boys: Maurice, Sparrow, Bobo & Vincent
Girls: Lily, George, Ella, Luna, Mora, Zoe, Cocoa, Tessa & Addie

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 02:02:24 PM »
TEK, that's great. I think the more we can inform them about the mass of rat loverz that are out in the world the better.

Jim Wingate just contacted me and their still in the process of collecting information. Their currently trying to find out how many rat groups/organizations are in the US along w/ a number of rattie owners out there to see if the demand if great enough still to make the RN. Though he said their 98% about making a RN they'd still like to collect as much info. as possible. If they can do this in a timely manner he said they'd be looking at the first quarter of the new year for the cage. He said he'd keep me updated and if I had any questions to call him and he'd be happy to answer them & left me w/ his direct number at Midwest Metal as it came up on my caller ID.

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 02:48:15 PM »
Excellent! If he would like to talk to me about number of rat owners in CO, I'm in the process of starting an association out here, so I can give him a pretty good estimate- or could send one to you to pass along to him.
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!

Offline Melissa82

• Imma get jou!
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »
It would be really cool, if they do make a RN, that I could attach to the FN for those that have already bought them.

Offline BLM

• Posts Too Much!
  • Lose your dreams, lose your mind.
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 10:18:22 AM »
I really wish it would be out sooner! That way, I wouldn't have to spend 400$+ on Martins just to get a couple RNs.  :(

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean. I'd love for it to be coming out sooner coz I'd love to get my girlies a RN coz I'm soo in love w/ my FN for my boys. It's sooo darn simple to clean. Only thing I don't like is they get Harlan crumbs all over their bedding and when I wash it the darn crumbs gets all over my dryer.. lol

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean. I'd love for it to be coming out sooner coz I'd love to get my girlies a RN coz I'm soo in love w/ my FN for my boys. It's sooo darn simple to clean. Only thing I don't like is they get Harlan crumbs all over their bedding and when I wash it the darn crumbs gets all over my dryer.. lol

I feel your pain.  I've started shaking out the bedding outside to get all the crumbs and such out.  It goes all over me  :confused: but at least it's not in my washer or dryer.  :thumbsup2:
~Rebecca

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »
as i take the bedding out of the FN, I roll the bedding up and then shake it out insdie of a kitchen sized trash bag....cuts down on the stuff in my washer and dryer.

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »
I use a little dirt devil to vacuum out crumbs before changing liners.

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »
I have a little dirt devil under the bed I'm gonna have to get out and charge to use when we're chaning bedding because the Harlan crumbs are awful.. lol I shake them, but some are stuck in the fibers of the hammocks or if they chew a hole they get stuck inside on me.. lol

Offline PirateStardust

• Dooots!
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 11:07:01 PM »
I sent them sumptin, too...

*Dreams of a Rat Nation*

Siigghhh...

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 11:10:53 PM »
I have the same issue! Vaccuuming doesn't do nearly as much as I'd like. So, instead I do a combo of what JR and Tonivan do. For the smaller stuff I empty it in the garbage can and the larger stuff (like the huge cover for the bottom floors) gets taken outside and shaken.

Just don't tell the people in the three apartments directly below me that those are rat raisins mysteriously showing up on their balcony edges! :confused: I try to dump it on mine and then sweep it off, but sometimes just dump it over. Harlan blocks make a lot of noise when they land in bushes from 4 stories up.  :yelcutelaugh:
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.

Offline pinkie1205

• Posts Too Much!
  • Jack says you don't need thumbs.
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 08:09:37 AM »
If they definitely come out with a RN I will wait and just use my crappy superpet for the time being.  My boyfriend told me today that he wanted a ferret nation, but whats the point right now if they come out with a RN?  I only have 3 rats and I dont see myself having much more then that ever.  Is it hard to littertrain older rats?  I think it would be cool if the FN or RN had a little deeper pan.  My rats arent litter trained.
It's all just bricks in the wall

Offline cassiejamie

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
I will be so happy if they come out with one.  I love my current cage, but I'll be moving in the next year or so and when I do, I want them to move up (as it were). :D  I did want an FN but given that if there's a chance they can get out, my girls will attempt it.  My boys have no interest in getting out unless there's a yogie involved but the girls would be gone in an instant.  If there were an RN with 1/2 inch bars I would dance.
Mama to:
The Rats: MacKenzie & Konstantin.
The Gerbs: Jack Karnak O'Neill & Daniel Cairo Jackson.
The Cavies: Brownie & Pig (aka Nelson).
Sister to Blouney Cat & Seven.

Rest well, Goofy, and give Crazy a love-slap from me.
I love you, Swirley. I love you, Gaia, Guinevere.

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 04:50:09 PM »
I'm gonna be trying some diff. techniques today to try and get as much Harlan crumbs out of their bedding as possible before I wash them. Also what does everyone use to wash their rattie bedding?? I use dreft detergent, but sometimes I can still smell a bit of pee afterwards. Is there something else I can wash the bedding with to get it smelling cleaner?

italianqt, that's cute the rat rasins raining down.. lol

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »
I think most people use some kind of regular or "free" detergent, and then vinegar in the rinse water (I double rinse) helps a LOT with the smell.
~Rebecca

Offline Melissa82

• Imma get jou!
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »
I think most people use some kind of regular or "free" detergent, and then vinegar in the rinse water (I double rinse) helps a LOT with the smell.
I never thought of using vinegar for the rinse! I'm going to stick in my downy ball next time, hehe.

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 06:39:24 PM »
I never thought of using vinegar for the rinse! I'm going to stick in my downy ball next time, hehe.

:doh:  Vinegar in the Downy ball!!  I just waited for the rinse cycle and poured it in.  ::)
~Rebecca

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »
wahhh... WHERE'S MY RAT NATION?? I can't wait. :P
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2007, 09:09:05 PM »
Hmmm.. that's an awesome idea Vinegar in the downy ball since I do happen to have one. I will def. be giving the vinegar a try and the double rinsing before I throw them in the dryer w/ a nice fabric softner.