Author Topic: Let Midwest know there is interest in a "Rat Nation"  (Read 16173 times)

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: Let Midwest know there is interest in a "Rat Nation"
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
Hmmm.. that's an awesome idea Vinegar in the downy ball since I do happen to have one. I will def. be giving the vinegar a try and the double rinsing before I throw them in the dryer w/ a nice fabric softner.

If you use fabric softener, get the kind with no fragrance or anything...I guess the kinds with a smell can be too much for their little lungs. (Although I like it!)
~Rebecca

Offline Sweet Whispers Rattery

• Posts Too Much!
    • Sweet Whispers Rattery
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2007, 12:04:14 AM »
Yeah I try to get the most gentle stuff I heard Dreft that's used for babies is oka for the rattums. I forget what brand off the top of my head I use for fabric softner. Thanks though. On our laundry I use the fancy Lavander detergent & softner which I LOVE.. lol

Offline Independence

• Donor
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 02:34:59 AM »
That would be fantastic!  I got home from a week long vacation and found the floor of my daughter's room littered with bitten off zip ties.  My pet sitter told me that she's been checking several times a day to make sure the girls haven't pushed the hardware cloth aside.  I would much prefer having a cage made especially for rats.

Offline BLM

• Posts Too Much!
  • Lose your dreams, lose your mind.
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 01:05:07 PM »
I emailed them this morning.

Hello.

I would most definately buy a Rat Nation if one was made. I have female rats, and while Ferret Nations are fine for boys, they're not suitable for females. I'm going to need another cage soon, and I will most likely be getting a Martins cage, as a Ferret Nation will not work for me. I hope that maybe a Rat Nation will be out fairly soon and that I can hold out long enough to get one.

It would be such a shame for them to lose a customer and 300+ dollars to Martins...  :wink5:

Offline Messorius

• Messorius Art and Sundries Co.
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2007, 08:31:55 PM »
I added in my encouragement for them to add a Rat Nation.  Pretty much told them I love the ferret cage I have now, but refrained from buying a FN because of bar spacing, and would totally buy a RN next time around.

I wouldn't be buying for about a year or more, it would have to wait until after I buy my house  :eek: but after that? a 3 level RN? Drooool.

Offline BLM

• Posts Too Much!
  • Lose your dreams, lose your mind.
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »
Oh, I know. Totally.  :cheeky:

Offline Messorius

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 05:29:27 PM »
I got an email back!  They said they hadn't decided one way or the other as of yet, but then asked me what colour I thought the cage finish should be, and then asked me some statistical questions about the "Rat Clubs" I belonged to.  Hee!

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
I use normal detergent and dryer sheets (or downy liquid sometimes) and I have yet to see a problem.  I have washed rat bedding like this for as long as I have had rats (3 years) and haven't had any problems.  I guess better safe than sorry for everyone else?  Probably a good idea but I like the smell of clean rat laundry. Or maybe I am just lazy :P
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure

Offline kdglow

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 10:28:31 PM »
I'm new to the group, but also emailed to let them know...and they wrote back saying they hadn't made a final decision, but wondered if I was a member of the "rat club" and asked some questions regarding finishes, suggestions, etc.  Looking good!!!

Offline tonivan

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2007, 03:07:44 PM »
i have heard that laundry treated with fabric softner isnt as absorbent as that without softener.  Currently I am still using scent free fabric softner becuz I use rubber backed bath mats in mine and they are much more absorbent than fleece but those of you that use fleece might consider that...although I cant even imagine the static it might have without it!!

Offline Melissa82

• Imma get jou!
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2007, 10:59:34 PM »
I know of someone who just got this reply today from Midwest:

Hi: Thanks for e-mailing....We have not made a final decision as to whether or not to manufacture a Rat Nation. We do have a few questions - if you would be so kind as to reply...

1. What color would you suggest for the finish?

2. Are you a member of a "Rat Club" ? If so,

a. Do you know the number of "Rat Clubs" that are in existence?
b. Do you know how many people on average are in each "Rat Club"?

Thanks very much for any help that you can give us...

Best regards,
Brenda

I'll reply to them tomorrow with my answer. I've got some checking to do. What do you guys think of the colour question?

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2007, 11:42:40 PM »
I think most of us would prefer either black or silver, similar to the Ferret Nation- but if they want to make a version with smaller spacing in shiny pink....  :yelcutelaugh: :yelcutelaugh:
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2007, 11:46:55 PM »
IMO, fabric softener is a waste of money.  It can coat your clothing, reduce absorption (IIRC anyway, I think that's why you shouldn't use it on diapers)...  If you add some white vinegar to the rinse cycle, it acts as a natural fabric softener, without having yucky perfumey chemicals.  Dryer balls in the dryer can help as well, in addition to reducing dryer time.  I haven't used fabric softener in over a year, and I haven't been happier with my laundry.

As far as the cage, I emailed them a while back.  What all are you suggesting for modifications?  I know smaller bar spacing, but how small?  That's actually one of the things I love about my FN - the open bars.  One of the biggest things I disliked about my Martin's was the 1" x 1/2" spacing.  Some water bottles were hard to get through, and you couldn't scritch the rats. 

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

Offline Messorius

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2007, 12:36:49 AM »
For colouring, I said whatever the FN was done up with.  I figured it would make it seem that much easier for them to produce. :P

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2007, 12:41:34 AM »
guys, this has gotten out of hand, can we take the laundry stuff to another thread? I hate checking for updates on the cage and seeing them.

What does everyone think of purple for the cage? :) hehe
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2007, 12:58:36 AM »
lol  Purple is nice, but I can't picture my boy rats wanting a purple cage.  ;)

I really like the color it comes in now.  I certainly wouldn't want white, or any other light color though.  Stains/pee/whatever would show WAY too easily!

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2007, 01:00:19 AM »
yeah I agree.. darker is better. White cages end up looking NASTY. It would be cool if they could offer some color choices without it upping the price too much, like purple, and maybe green :) but I do like the finish it has now.. I just REALLY like purple! :)
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2007, 01:26:16 AM »
lol  I wonder if you could sand it down and spray paint it purple?

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2007, 09:24:20 AM »
It's interesting that people are now getting e-mails with questions, rather than the standard "we're considering it" letter.  That gives me hope!

Edited to ask: What is the bar spacing most of you are asking for?  1/2" x 5", or 3/4" x 5"?  Or something else?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:30:46 AM by JR1030 »
~Rebecca

Offline Melissa82

• Imma get jou!
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »
Something small enough so babies can't get out!

Offline OdysseyDesign

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattery Closed
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2007, 03:31:21 PM »
as cool as it would be to have RNs come in colors.......I think I would want bar spacing and perhaps a solid bottom under each pan as a priority.

is it me or does there seem to be more focus on color then needed?

Offline Messorius

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2007, 03:46:27 PM »
as cool as it would be to have RNs come in colors.......I think I would want bar spacing and perhaps a solid bottom under each pan as a priority.

is it me or does there seem to be more focus on color then needed?

I'm surprised they even asked me about a colour, which was actually all they asked me in regards to the RN.  I don't find it to matter all that much and a distraction.  Smaller bar spacing yes, although not TOO small.  I want to be able to see them well in there, as well as scratch my boys without having to open the doors every time.

Offline OdysseyDesign

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattery Closed
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2007, 03:51:59 PM »

I'm surprised they even asked me about a colour, which was actually all they asked me in regards to the RN.  I don't find it to matter all that much and a distraction.  Smaller bar spacing yes, although not TOO small.  I want to be able to see them well in there, as well as scratch my boys without having to open the doors every time.

see I would assume they would be asking our opinion about what bar spacing we would like to see. Would we like to see a different type of pan? Things like that.

I personally think the market for a RN would be quite large as it would target other pet communities other then just rats.

Offline Messorius

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »

see I would assume they would be asking our opinion about what bar spacing we would like to see. Would we like to see a different type of pan? Things like that.

I personally think the market for a RN would be quite large as it would target other pet communities other then just rats.

Exactly, you could put all kinds of rodents in there.  Has anyone had a question pertaining to other than colour as of late?  Maybe they've already decided on bar spacing.  Or it could just be that the person emailing me and others is just asking about colour and the rat clubs and nothing else.

Offline OdysseyDesign

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattery Closed
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »
maybe it should be called a Pet-Nation since it would be suitable for most caged pets if not all of them.