Author Topic: Your opinions on Flint River Ranch food  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Pamnangel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Stand for something or you stand for nothing!
    • Pam's Petsitting
Your opinions on Flint River Ranch food
« on: July 31, 2007, 05:05:36 PM »
I would like to know if you feed Flint River Ranch food and what you think of it? 
Pam
Pam's Petsitting
AuntiePamsPantry/Etsy
ElderRat Care Center
Roseville, CA

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
Re: Your opinions on Flint River Ranch food
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 09:01:10 PM »
I recently tried to switch my dogs over and one in particular didn't manage the switch very well.  (I may have done it too fast)  She kept throwing up.

Offline RompStompnBoogie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:38:44 PM »
I feed my dogs FRR (puppy and adult formula) and they seem to like it.  I've tried so many different foods, because there's always one or two dogs that refuse to eat what the other three are eating.  They all like FRR, which is great.  It is a bit pricey with 5 dogs though, lol.  They seem to be doing well on it, and I'm pretty sure I've seen an improvement in their skin/coats since I switched a few months ago, though it could just be because it's not winter anymore...haha.     

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:56:52 AM »
I've heard of it, but never encountered it until just yesterday when a cat came in to board at the vet hosp where I work, and she brought her own food. First two ingredients: Chicken meal, ground yellow corn... (translation: crap, crap....) I didn't even read the rest.  I doubt the dog version is any better.

Then again, I may not the be the person to ask about dog kibble, as I feed my dogs raw.
~Julie

Offline RompStompnBoogie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
Is it that bad?  I'm no canine nutritionist, but I didn't *think* so  ???

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Ground Whole Wheat, Flax Seed, Dried Whole Egg, Lecithin, Fish Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Wheat Germ Meal, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Sulphate, Amino Acid Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, D-Biotin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Our chicken meal and other meat sources do not contain poultry by-products or other by-products like chicken feet, chicken heads, duck heads, beaks, feathers, fish heads, hides, hoofs and intestines. There are no breakfast food by-products, corn, cottonseed, corn cobs, citrus pulp, soybeans, fillers, and no screening or other foreign materials such as noxious weeds, straw, hulls or chaff in our product.

Most brands of dog food include some of these by-products and chemical preservatives. The use of low quality products and chemical preservatives may be associated with dry skin, allergic reactions, dental disease, poor health and degenerative organ dysfunction.

There is no sprayed-on additive or greasy coating to make the taste acceptable. Ordinary dog foods are extruded under high pressure and extreme temperatures and then sprayed with fat and other products in order to encourage dogs to eat.

Oven-baking changes hard to digest starches into easy to digest dextrins, which are readily absorbed into your dog's system. The secret to Flint River Ranch's great nutrition is how many nutrients are present in the dog's food and how efficiently they are utilized when digested. The good value is baked-in, not sprayed on.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:34:58 AM »
If I were to ever feed kibble (I'm with Ratwings- my dog and cat are on 100% raw) I certainly wouldn't pick one with wheat or corn of any form in it. Even rice would be questionable. I'd feed EVO if I had to pick one.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 11:36:28 PM »
I feed raw, and that food has too many grains for my liking...

But I wanted to point out chicken meal is not crap. The team meal only means that it was already rendered. Now if it said "poultry meal" or "animal meal" that would be a serious red flag.

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:15:26 AM »
But I wanted to point out chicken meal is not crap. The team meal only means that it was already rendered. Now if it said "poultry meal" or "animal meal" that would be a serious red flag.

I agree with ~Lin.  Any specific meal (chicken, beef, lamb, etc) is a fine protein source.  Generic meal is not.

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »
Well it depends on the formula, some are better then others.
Either way FRR is not for every dog.
With out knowing your dogs breed age, and any specific health concerns I couldn't say if it would be a possible good food for YOUR dog.

The ingredient listing you posted is ok, though for the average dog I prefer to see a higher meat content vrs the grains.
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »

Like I said, I am biased (and rather opinionated). ;) But yes, I will admit that chicken meal is less crappy than "meat meal" or "animal fat" or various by-products.

I was just so shocked that the second ingredient in the cat food was ground yellow corn. Come one people! Look at your typical farm cat, which is as near to a wild animal as any of our domestic species. Do you see it gnawing on stalks of corn, or foraging in the wheat fields?  No, it's stalking mice and rats and birds and lizards, and maybe occasionally sneaking into the barn for a bit of milk.
~Julie

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
There is some evidence that oven baked foods actually accelerate plaque formation on teeth.
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 01:23:12 AM »
There is some evidence that oven baked foods actually accelerate plaque formation on teeth.

Please post or PM me this info if you have it (not that I don't trust your comment, but I would LOVE to read about this in depth)! I keep my mouth shut most of the time at work when people are feeding kibble and their dog requires dentals every year and they ask ME what their dog should be chewing on to keep plaque away. I want to say "FEED RAW THEN!" but if I feel I'll actually be listened to I'll suggest some type or poultry backs, turkey necks, wings, etc.

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 01:39:52 AM »
I'll see what I can find- I got it on Chazhound on a thread about the oven baked Avoderm Naturals food (which is pretty yuck even without the oven baked) but there was a study posting showing an increase in plaque when feeding oven baked over the amount produced  by feeding an extruded diet. I kick myself now for not saving the link.
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 06:48:26 PM »
Ratwings:

Yes, seeing Chicken Meal as the first ingredient is actually preferred. It is simply Chicken with all the moisture removed BEFORE cooking. As I believe someone previously stated.

Something like Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, is perfectly acceptable, as is Chicken Meal, Chicken, Ground Rice.

The one with Chicken Meal first is a better deal, as the food consist of MOSTLY Chicken, and the protein in the food is also derived mostly from the chicken.
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel