Author Topic: Eating Hay  (Read 4681 times)

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
Eating Hay
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:52:26 AM »
What is the best way to get a rabbit to eat hay? We got oliver in march, he's an adult and he was being fed alfalfa & junk basically. I've tried timothy & bermuda, which by the way my other bun loves. Oliver just won't eat it he does tiny nibbles. He's had molar spurs that were starting to grow a few months ago, but the vet wasn't concerned and then he did eat hay and ground them down. I usually buy kaytee, because that's all I can find. Could I try oat hay? I was thinking maybe to look for a farm and maybe try that, but most of them use fertilizer and I'm not sure if that is safe for them to eat.

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Re: Eating Hay
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
Why not order from Oxbow?  Oxbow hay is fantastic.  A great, GREAT number of rabbits won't go near Kaytee (or other low-quality brands like that), and it'll seem like they just don't like hay.  Definitely try ordering some good timothy hay from Oxbow (or American Pet Diner), and see what your buns think  :)

www.oxbowhay.com
www.americanpetdiner.com

Also - what all are you feeding them currently?  Your one bun not wanting to eat hay may mean they're getting too much of something else.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »
Your probably right I have tried their pellets and they were good quality. Our vet wants us to switch over to timothy pellets soon so I may get them from oxbow. Have you ever tried sweet meadow farms?
I have tried reducing his pellets to see if he would eat hay and it didn't work, so I guess my next step is trying a different brand of hay. Thanks for you help :)

Offline fluffy pluffy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud pet nerd.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:07:47 PM »
What is the best way to get a rabbit to eat hay? We got oliver in march, he's an adult and he was being fed alfalfa & junk basically. I've tried timothy & bermuda, which by the way my other bun loves. Oliver just won't eat it he does tiny nibbles. He's had molar spurs that were starting to grow a few months ago, but the vet wasn't concerned and then he did eat hay and ground them down. I usually buy kaytee, because that's all I can find. Could I try oat hay? I was thinking maybe to look for a farm and maybe try that, but most of them use fertilizer and I'm not sure if that is safe for them to eat.
Hay from farms sometimes have parasites,which could get your bunnies sick.Happened to my bunny,I think so anyways(he got sick and passed on all so suddenly :( )...
Anyways,I would suggest getting some Timothy Hay from your local petstore,maybe ask them if theres a good place to get hay for a good price. :thumbsup2:
((Dragons are magically hidden within words below. o: ))

-->Magic Blue Words<--

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:24:16 AM »
I'm with Scubbs. I feed Oxbow hay, and it is great.

You can also try Kleenmama's, tons of people swear by it. The price is great too, even with shipping. Hay is a really important part of a rabbit's diet, sometimes it can be expensive to some, but it is worth all the expense.

Offline maherwoman

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:15:35 PM »
My suggestion would be to try all types of hay.  Different types of hay work on different parts of the teeth to help keep them down.  :D

Also, see if you have a tack & feed place near you, so you can buy a huge quantity of REALLY FRESH hay at a very low cost.  :D

Hugs!

Rosie*
Owned by eight bunnies: Girls: Maisie, Flower, Trixie, and SweetPea; Boys: Fiver, Dusty, Bun Bun, and Harley (& angel bunny, Drew). :D
Sr.Mod at Rabbits Online Forum.