Author Topic: Carrie's Intro/I'm new  (Read 684 times)

Offline *CARRIE*

• 2 kids and a menagerie :-)
    • Pics of my rats
Carrie's Intro/I'm new
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:19:56 PM »
Hi! My name is Carrie & I'm new to goosemoose.  I just got home from 2.5 weeks visiting my parents in Florida & I can't wait to pick up my rats from my friend tomorrow!

I am 34 & a science teacher on Long Island, NY.  I have a 7 yr old daughter & a 5 yr old son (and a 33 yr old husband!).  We have a rat terrier (adopted), 3 cats and 2 african clawed frogs.  We adopted 7 female rats in late May.  We got them off of freecycle.  The woman was very nice, but not educated about taking care of rats.  They were in a 20 gallon fish tank in wood shavings.  We bought them a wire cage and carefresh litter. They were also eating table food- like baked macaroni & cheese!  We feed them lab blocks & some treats - they love caulifolower the best and goldfish crackers.

My rats are a mom & all of her female babies.  The mom is about 7 mos old and the daughters are about 4 mos.  Their names are Pita, Pepsi, Cinnamon, Mrs. Frisby, Chocolate Milk, Strawberry & Oreo.  They are nice, very active & very curious!  They chewed on my son's brand new expensive loft bed already! I really enjoy having them as pets.  I am very interested in animal welfare & rescue.  My mother-in-law actually has a "rescue farm" upstate NY, but she doesn't adopt out, just take in & she's saturated at the moment, plus she only has livestock, labs & cats.  I have been a member of Metropolitan Maltese Rescue since it was founded.  I don't do much now except for home checks. 

I'm so happy that someone shared this forum with me.  I am learning a lot about pet rats.  :BlueDumboSmile:  I like adopting, but I'd love to have a baby.  That's the problem with adopting - wish I saw my girls as babies, my dog too.

Pics of my girls should be in my photo album, but I don't know if it worked. 

Here are a 2 slideshows of my rattie girls:

http://rockyou.com/show_my_gallery.php?instanceid=76474649

http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery.php?instanceid=78004943

Carrie

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
Re: Carrie's Intro/I'm new
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:23:41 PM »
Hi Carrie! What a wonderful intro. It's wonderful that you've given those girls a second chance at a new life with you and your family.
I only do rescues as well and I can tell you, I'm getting my fair share of babies. ;) There are lots of oops litters out there, I bet one day one will be calling your name.
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline Rattiemama

• Posts Too Much!
  • ^^ Cheezy grin! ^^
Re: Carrie's Intro/I'm new
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:40:12 PM »
Hi and welcome!  :wave2:

Those are some lovely little ladies you have there. It sounds like you are doing well learning about all the thing rats need. If you hang around here much you'll soon be spoiling them with special hammocks and all kinds of treats. Congrats to you and your family for being rescuers and people who research their animals!

Hope to see you and your ratties around much more!