Author Topic: D'Arcy. February 5, 2016 to December 7, 2018  (Read 36 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
D'Arcy. February 5, 2016 to December 7, 2018
« on: December 08, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
So for the first time since 2007, our house has no pet rats. D'Arcy took her final trip to the veterinary office today to be helped across the Rainbow Bridge. She was 34 months old, which means she was about 87 years old (in people years). She had two pretty large tumors and a new one was starting to show its ugly head, and she had trouble walking because of the tumors. D'Arcy had started falling asleep during her play time out of her cage. I guess if you get to 87 years old, you've earned the right to fall asleep when you are out to play! This is her last picture taken today. I took along some of her favorite treat, some Cool Whip, which she happily gobbled up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2015045368578206&set=a.154206277995467&type=3&eid=ARC4QD_MwtOT4HLCZt20Q2RMwobNVLHNp82uSzb3fw8m-gFAGUGg1U_C3f6qsz7RYOmWyjrXBVUNGMvn

I hope the picture can be seen! You can see Cool Whip on her whiskers.

D'Arcy and her sister, Maggie (RIP), came to me from one of the techs at the vet's office. They were born on February 5, 2016 and came to live with me on March 17, 2016. Maggie means Pearl, and she was a beautiful Russian blue with a blaze on her face and top ears. D'Arcy means Dark. She was my sweet, petite, Hooded girl with dumbo ears.

Nothing really unusual happened in Maggie and D'Arcy's lives. They came to me and Holly (RIP), and loved Holly so much. Holly loved them back, and even though she was older, she never grew tired of playing with them. But her time marched on, and it was time for her to leave us. Tumors and a URI that wouldn't clear up. She was gone earlier this year. Maggie left us on July 29th of this year due to health issues that were causing her to lose weight, that nothing I did could make her gain anything back, and the vet said lung cancer. X-rays were taken and confirmed it. So that left D'Arcy here alone. She had already started to develop a huge tumor inside her left thigh. The vet chose not to operate due to her age, and I was ok with that. I knew surgery would be risky, so I tried to give D'Arcy lots of love with what time she had left. She was out of her cage as often as she wanted. I know she was missing Holly and Maggie.

Watching her mourn was horrible, but Neal feels I need to take a break from keeping rats. Not forever, just for a bit. So this will be hard on me. The house, and their cage, seem so empty now. Abby (my cat) knows they are all gone. They were not friends, not by a long shot! But they tolerated each other at a distance. I know Abby will miss watching the antics going on in the cage.

My vet is trying to see how I feel about fostering. There are rescues around me that need fosters, and one of the requirements is that you don't have any pet rats of your own, just in case of illness.

So, goodbye D'Arcy! You were loved by not just me, but nearly the whole family! Neal, Jason, Ashlyn, Danelle, Billy, Jacob, Shawn, Kara, Kolton, and Khalia will all miss  you.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: D'Arcy. February 5, 2016 to December 7, 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 07:10:21 PM »
So sorry, gramma2jaak. Thanks for posting about your girls.

Offline purple rat

Re: D'Arcy. February 5, 2016 to December 7, 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:01:19 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose our fur babies.  :'(  It's nice that your rats were loved by so many people!
Play hard at the bridge D'Arcy
proud mama of Spock & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter & Abbott & Bentley, Goober, Merlin