Author Topic: ULTIMATE RAT ROOM. Found a new rat lover in a 13 yr. autistic girl  (Read 8475 times)

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
Re: ULTIMATE RAT ROOM. Rat party--we're moving in!!! Home squeak home!
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007, 09:44:13 AM »
I was thinking we'd see party hats on the boys!!  Everything looks wonderful!  And yeah, funny how exciting laundry can become ... for the first week.    :yelcutelaugh:  Have you used your sink yet?   Do you have a place to hang things that can't go through the dryer?

Offline ratty_pack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »
Yes, I used the sink recently.  Truely a dream for cleaning the rat pastic toys.  The drainboard gives a very convenient scrub spot while draining into the sink.  Need to figure out something for holding the faucet in place when not wishing to spray though.

There will be a spot for hanging things that shouldn't go into the dryer...  It is that built in cubby in the wall.  My husband didn't look excited about hanging the shelves so I'll be hanging only my ugly dry rack-- $1 garage sale find until then.  Someday, that ugly dry rack will go away!

Dearpie, is that a volunteer for cute party hats?   :cheeky:  Just kidding.....

Hope to finish decluttering, add finishing touches this weekend and move in the free loveseat.  Here is the free loveseat we are picking up on Saturday:

It reclines too!  Yippeeee!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:08:39 AM by ratty_pack »

Offline ladytiger7647

• Posts Too Much!
  • Amoung the ratless but surrounded by angels
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2007, 05:53:19 PM »
Now when you want to get away from your family just say "I'm going to do laundry!"
RIP The Rat Men

Offline ratty_pack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »
 Did first mid-week wipedown of cage.  When the backdoor opened, the boys were:   :eek: :o  TOO FUNNY.  So far, so good with the cage.  No big surprises....

My husband isn't thrilled with the loveseat thing.  He said, "Still bring the boys upstairs."   :heart:

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2007, 11:57:44 AM »
WOW  :shocked2:!

Very neat!

Congratulations!

Can you actually enjoy the place after all the remodeling? We are only now (a year after remodeling) starting to enjoy our place. We always seem to be seeing all the work we put into it and all the effort and sleepless night remodeling this house mostly on our own... There is still painting and fixing up to do here and there...

That room looks great! Well done!
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline JulesMichy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2007, 01:38:41 PM »
Susan, you can do what I did with my bird ladder when my rats didn't want to walk on it. I wrapped a cheap, dollar store hand towel around it, mummy style, and then cut two strips in the ends and tied them off on the top and bottom rungs. It seems to give them the confidence they needed, and when it gets stained/smelly I just throw it away and use a new one.

Offline Kelley

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2007, 03:21:24 PM »
Your room looks great  :thumbsup2:
I have been looking for a sink like that for bathing my dogs...where did you find it????
Kelley-Kizmet, Bella & Kalani

Offline ratty_pack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
Kelly: The sink was purchased on ebay as well as the faucet.  You can save a bundle on craigslist with restaurant closings.  Those sinks 2-3 compartments ran $100-$200 including the faucet.  I just didn't have that much space and *really* wanted the drainboard for the regular washdowns.

Jules: the boys are taking the ladders very comfortably now.  The hole cut out and body turn had 'em a little confused at first.

Yes, the room is *just* incredible.  Added the used loveseat today for a wonderful place to play with the 'bubs.  So, so, so wonderful.

Offline ratty_pack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2007, 05:28:55 PM »
Had the coolest moment.  I've been waiting for a non-rat lover to see the rat room.  The perfect opportunity showed itself when a dad and his mildly autistic daughter came to visit.  (Pulls at my heart strings as my daughter was also once diagnosed as autistic to then be reclassified with a correct label)

Well, dad and daughter recently lost their bird and told me all about it.

Okay, heart be still.  I brought out Tango --my kissy lover boy.  There was almost an instant bond with his daughter and Tango.  My heart totally melted.  She stopped stimming and focused on petting Tango.  Tango in turn was giving his licky kisses.  She loved him playing in her hair and she was thrilled with the mirror image of her and Tango.

Dad saw this and thought immediately that a rat would be a much better pet for his daughter.  Honestly, I couldn't agree more.....  Want unconditional love....  Get a rat pack.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:34:46 PM by ratty_pack »

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: ULTIMATE RAT ROOM. Found a new rat lover in a 13 yr. autistic girl
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2007, 06:55:02 PM »
That's a wonderful story!  There's a very interesting book...I've only read excerpts...written by an autistic woman who says that autistic people think like animals (in the best sense).  She's been able to help people with certain animal problems, because she can relate to them like "regular" people can't.  Animals may be the best companions for autistic children.
http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Translation-Mysteries-Autism-Behavior/dp/0156031442/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-2704961-5828914?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194220417&sr=8-2
~Rebecca

Offline ratty_pack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2007, 07:51:11 PM »
   Ah, Temple Grandin.  She does explain very nicely what the inside view of autistm looks like.   I read her book about childhood and cattle years ago.
    Her dad has shared Christmas time will be time to adopt a couple rats....  He wants me to help get them setup to bring a pair home.
    I'm leaning towards suggesting boys for their lovey mellowness....  Thoughts?  Can't express the joy that I see in this.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 07:52:46 PM by ratty_pack »

Offline Oh!Rats!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »
Besides the fact that I'm crying with jealousy, I'm also crying after reading what a great connection/therapy can be had with ratties!  My daughter is "mildy" austistic; high functioning really.  But there has been nothing better (with all the pets we have) than the bond she has with our girls!  Its truly amazing; it calms her down (unless we are introducing and she's afraid someone will get hurt... ;))

Probably should start a new thread on this one; I know PixiesWorld has an awesome story of therapy with her ratty boy! 
Queen Of Hearts,Storms in Africa, Smidge, Molly, Ginger, Beatrice, Delilah, Snickerdoodle, Ivy, Maizy, Amelia.

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2007, 06:28:14 PM »
I've met Temple Grandin several times; I work with children who have autism.  She's amazing; storms into a room, stands almost 6 feet tall and always wears a cowboy hat and boots; but listening to her talk from the "INSIDE" is incredibly helpful to those of us who struggle to pull kids out.

Oh, so this isn't TOO off-topic; I love your room!  Nice couch!
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline RattieSpirit

• Ritten
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2007, 06:49:51 PM »
This is so weird.  Here I am, procrastinating (I SHOULD be writing my research paper), so I open up Goosemoose, see that my favorite thread abut the ultimate rat room has some new posts, I click on it and BOOM... the first words I see are "Temple Grandin."  That's who my research paper is about and I have 6 of her books (including Animals in Translation) sitting right next to me.  Three weeks ago I had never heard of her until my Art of Medicine teacher suggested that she would be an excellent subject for my research paper seeing as it connects the topic with my field (Animal Science).  Now, she just keeps popping up!  Anyway, just thought that was funny, maybe a little hint that I should stop procrastinating and get back to my research paper. 

The room looks fabulous, and I am quite jealous!

Offline Oh!Rats!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2007, 07:51:42 PM »
You can always find something good on Goosemoose......just goes to show ya ;D
Queen Of Hearts,Storms in Africa, Smidge, Molly, Ginger, Beatrice, Delilah, Snickerdoodle, Ivy, Maizy, Amelia.

Offline ratty_pack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2007, 08:51:05 PM »
   So true.  I have had the pleasure of working with two men that I know to be high functioning autistic.  IN FACT, they were my best coaches when my daughter was diagnosed as autistic both medically and academically.  If there was anything that I carried away, it was that *everything* can be broken into littler steps and be taught.

BTW, don't know how often this happens....  My daughter *did* have auditory processing delay and sensory defensiveness.  Though it was a "miracle" to have her mainstreamed, I needed to understand if removing services would set her back.

Well, it turned out that she developed at the age of 8, an adult's ability to understand baby talk.  That part, she did herself so that she could understand regular speech.  I think it was avoidance from not understanding and then she could understand.  The world changed when she could understand regular speech.  An incredible blessing.

The sensory defensiveness, was addressed with her rocking horse (EVERY DAY  -- SHE *NEEDED* it), deep brush massage, and sweeping the top of her mouth with toothbrush.

Yes, the room really is incredible.  It is my little oasis with forest, soft lights, and now soft music...  Ratties are always fun and never talk back!