Author Topic: A Big Thanks To Rats Rule!  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Antics

A Big Thanks To Rats Rule!
« on: August 29, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »
Hi all,
I have never posted here before, but I have read a lot on this forum.
I just want to say thank you to all of you who post here for all of the valuable and totally fun information about rats!
I had rats in both high school and college and adored them.
Now twenty some odd years later I found myself in a Petco where they sold rats. There were three little 6 week old PEW girls for sale and then someone bought one of them to feed to an alligator.
I brought the other two girls home.
I learned so much form reading on this site and the advice has been wonderful!
My two darling girls are residing in a Martin's R695 decked out with vinyl floors, Eco Bedding, Dearpie hammocks and other toys and sleeping nooks that many of you have created or suggested.
They dine on HT lab block and fresh organic fruits and veggies and many of the other recommended treats.
Stella and Ruby as we call them, though timid at first, have  now completely won our hearts with their tender kisses, playful squeeks and jolly rompings.
My husband was neither here nor there about having them come live with us...but now is completely smitten and is taking specials trips to the store to get them the proper seed and nut treats. I came into the " rat room" the other night to find him with his head down on the table and the ratties climbing on his head and grooming his ears!
We are just in love with these little ladies. Someday we hope to get one more but we are afraid that since they are pet shop girls they may not be as healthy as a rat from a breeder....or that a new rat may not be healthy or fit in with them.
These gals sneezed a lot in the first week that we had them on Carefresh...but we only hear an occasional sneeze now using The Eco Bedding. Since there are no other symptoms I hope that they are sturdy and healthy and
 will live a long healthy life.
Thank you all for helping us to create a wonderful home for them and for helping me to not feel so nuts for being totally in love with these two rat girls!
Sincerely,
Annie  :BlueDumboSmile:

PS I would love to post a picture but cannot see a way to do that on this screen....I'm not very good with computers!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:13:55 PM by Antics »

Offline ratqueen

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I've got some tongs and butter..
Re: A Big Thanks To Rats Rule!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:06:56 PM »
Hi Antics, welcome to the forums! Wow it sure sounds like your girls are lucky to have you, what a great home you've given them!

Your husband sounds like mine... all tough on the outside and a marshmallow as soon as he thinks no one's looking ;)

So glad to see you posting. To post pictures you'll first need to upload them to a website (GooseMoose has free accounts you can use) and then post the picture using img tags. There's a little tutorial in the Reference Desk section :)

Offline loveslc

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:40:18 PM »
Im so glad you were able to give those girls such a good home and that you find the information on this forum as usefull as I do!  What I have learned in just a few months of reading this forum has made me a MUCH better rat mom than I was before , and I'm sure all of my little ratties are very happy about that!
And BTW, your husband is miles ahead of mine... he likes to watch the rats play but he is afraid to hold them because " their little rat hands all over me feel funny" ha ha..
Best of luck to you, your husband and Stella and Ruby   :)
And Im still working on the picture thing too.. I understand the instructions but our PC has some issues of it's own...
Love my ratties
Pumpkin, Squeaky, Crash, Francis, Charmin, Beanie, Posie, Pixie, Freebie and Bonus
And also love Elsie D. Dog
RIP mice, Angry Mouse and Spin Cycle
Welcome Clarence Mouse!

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
Welcome!
It sounds like your little girlies have gone from hell to heaven!  I'm so glad you have them; wonderful, aren't they?

Enjoy!
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
Welcome!  :wave2: It's true that this is a wonderful place.  I've learned so much, and had so much support through sicknesses, new adoptions, cage buying and decorating, losses, introductions...you name it!  Sometimes I just want to give everyone here a giant group hug!  :love3:
~Rebecca

Offline BackAtTheLab

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 11:06:46 PM »
I would love to see you pics and love to help you get them up, but it took me forever and I only figured it out with dumb luck... so I'm probably not the best teacher.
Glad you're enjoying the forum. Pretty cool isn't it?
Rest well, Horatio, Gil, GarySinise, House, Denny, Alan, Rico, Oichi, Noh, Safi, Shampoo, Echo. We love you all.

Offline Pamnangel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Stand for something or you stand for nothing!
    • Pam's Petsitting
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 06:05:53 AM »
I upload pic to Photobucket, edit them there for size and copy the img link to post here.  If I understand things correctly, it doesn't cost Goosemoose as much that way.
Pam
Pam's Petsitting
AuntiePamsPantry/Etsy
ElderRat Care Center
Roseville, CA

Offline Antics

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome and photo help. I'll try those suggestions.
Back when kept rats 20 years ago I knew no one who owned rats or who understood those who did.
I love that there are now cages toys etc. all made with the needs and intelligence of pet rats in mind. I feel like I'm coming back to rat keeping in a way bigger, better and more exciting way!
I think that the rats feel great about all of it as well!
Thanks again!