Author Topic: Cage help...  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Dark_Rogue

• Posts Too Much!
Cage help...
« on: August 31, 2007, 11:29:31 PM »
I currently have 4 female rats in a 3 level Superpet cage and my problem is they can get out through the bars. I have put wire over the outside, which prevents this, but makes it horrible to clean. Is there a cage that works very well for small female rats? I need something they can't chew out of, either. They chewed through the bottom of the super pet cage, so I had to replace the bottom with another cage tray. Help?

BTW, I was looking at a Ferret Nation cage, but I didn't know about the wire spacing and if they were chew proof.

Also, how many rats can this cage comfortably hold?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ferret-Nation-One-Story-Cage-by-Midwest-Model-141_W0QQitemZ330161132915QQihZ014QQcategoryZ116396QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I've tried 2 different rat cage calculators and have gotten anywhere from 4 to 11 rats.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:43:47 PM by Dark_Rogue »
Happy slave to 11 rats, a hyperactive Jack Russell and a corn snake

Offline cassiejamie

Re: Cage help...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:02:15 AM »
Each level of the FN can hold six rats.  They are chew proof but the wire is 1 inch spacing - enough for smaller females to get through.  If they can get out of a superpet, they can definitely get out of an FN that's not covered.  However, a covered FN is still much easer to clean than an SP.

Good luck.
Mama to:
The Rats: MacKenzie & Konstantin.
The Gerbs: Jack Karnak O'Neill & Daniel Cairo Jackson.
The Cavies: Brownie & Pig (aka Nelson).
Sister to Blouney Cat & Seven.

Rest well, Goofy, and give Crazy a love-slap from me.
I love you, Swirley. I love you, Gaia, Guinevere.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:09:30 AM »
I love Martin's cages!  They're perfect for rats without having to do any modifications.

There are a ton of threads with all sorts of pros and cons of any of the cages.  Read a few pages in this section, including the stickied topics at the top. 

Good luck!

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 03:12:06 AM »
I'm personally a big fan of martin cages. I have two that I've had for a very long time and they still look new...They hold up very well and are just awesome all around!! Really good cages and good quality for a reasonable price.
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion

Offline Dark_Rogue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 12:59:59 AM »
Ok..I'm looking at Martin's cages and the first thing that hits me is, can the rats chew off the powder coating? That's what they've done to their other cage, and it's gotten all rusty. I don't want to get one that will start rusting on me in a year.

Are the cages hard to put together?

Are they easy to clean? I've had difficulties with wire floors in the past. They they pee stuck on them and become nearly impossible to clean, indoors.

Also, can female sneak out of the r-695's bars?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 01:03:17 AM by Dark_Rogue »
Happy slave to 11 rats, a hyperactive Jack Russell and a corn snake

Offline Amykins

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:33:57 AM »
I have a one level FN, but I have 4 Martin's cages.  Between them, I do love the Martin's a lot more. 

I'm sure your rats could remove the powder coating, but I haven't had an issue with mine.  I also like the fact that you can put a Martin's together and not have to modify it for it to be safe with a rat.  It also has a deeper litter pan, which I really adore. 

I've never had any issues cleaning mine.  Once a week I drag them to the bathroom or outside and I use "Scrubbing Bubbles" on them.  I spray it on, the pee and poop melt off, I rinse, and repeat one more time for good measure.  I've had my one Martin's close to two years now and it looks new. 

Offline anita1216

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Hanging out with the Fraggle Rat gang...
    • Fraggle Rats
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 09:47:34 PM »
Unless you want to do some mods, the FN will have bar spacing to big for most females. The Martins may be a better choice for you. I just think the Martins are a pain to clean compared to the FN.

Offline Popcorn

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »
Western is thinking of adding a "Rat Nation" to their product line.  With a bit more nudging by rat lovers it might just happen. :poke:  Contact Western and tell them that you think a Rat Nation would be great!  (Make sure and tell them it would need to be modified, i.e. bar spacing & direction, deeper trays, etc.) http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/ContactUs/emailform.asp

Mumsy's Rat Rescue - Rescue, Foster and Adoption
Serving Barrie, South Simcoe and the Greater Toronto Area.  RatLady@gmail.com

Offline LastEchoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 01:50:22 AM »
Ok..I'm looking at Martin's cages and the first thing that hits me is, can the rats chew off the powder coating? That's what they've done to their other cage, and it's gotten all rusty. I don't want to get one that will start rusting on me in a year.

Are the cages hard to put together?

Are they easy to clean? I've had difficulties with wire floors in the past. They they pee stuck on them and become nearly impossible to clean, indoors.

Also, can female sneak out of the r-695's bars?

Sure, if the rats are constant chews, the powder coating will come off eventually but you WANT the powder coating...trust me. I've had my cages for 4+ years and all the coating is just fine. I think there's one little spot in a corder where ipowder coating looks a bit damaged, but that's it. Regardless of what kind of cage you have, if  your rats are chewers, they'll eventually chew off no matter what the coating is.

The cages are a bit of a pain to put together but it's by no means hard.

Martins cages don't have wire floors (at least not the ones made for rats).

And no, no female can sneak out from any martin cages that are made for rats. I can barely even get my pinky through the bars of the cage.
My Zoo:
1 Cat
1 Parrot
6 Rats
2 Snakes
1 Scorpion