Author Topic: Cinnamon's Emergency Vet Visit  (Read 939 times)

Offline *CARRIE*

• 2 kids and a menagerie :-)
    • Pics of my rats
Cinnamon's Emergency Vet Visit
« on: September 08, 2007, 08:43:33 PM »
Today was a stressful day! I was sitting at the computer, drinking my coffee and reading a goosemoose post & my kids had the rats out in Sarah's room.  I was checking on them intermittently.  Sam came up to me and said that Cinnamon had a bloody tail, that she must've gotten into a fight.  I went in and there was a pretty big spot of blood  (I expected a tiny scratch or spot - thats' what I see when either kid tells me that they are bleeding.)

Cinnamon was under Sarah's dresser & Sarah said she couldn't get her.  I got her & her tail was "degloved" - the bone was sticking out at the end. YUCK! :confused: :worry:
I did do some research on semi-local rat vets "just in case", but of course I couldn't find where  the info was, bookmarked "somewhere" on my computer.  (Especially since I was panicking & was caffeine free!)  I wound up calling my (cat & dog) vet - they said they don't see rats, so I took her to the emergency hospital, which is only 15-20 mins away.  The office visit is $115.  She had the end of her tail amputated and stitched up.  She is back home already.  It was cheaper than I anticipated - about $250.  (Thank God she's ok & Thank God I have a credit card!)
She wasn't even acting in pain - what a gross sight it was - her teeny bones sticking out.

I am so happy that she is ok.  She is on antibiotics and in a small cage right by my bed.  She is, of course, trying to chew the gauze & tape off.   They tried to put a plastic thing on her head but she kept getting to her tail anyway.

What must have happened is that Sam (probably) opened or closed the rolling closet door a little and her tail got sliced.  There is no other way I can think of that she got hurt.  They both know not to touch the doors, but I think he forgot....or maybe there is something sharp somewhere in the closet :-(.  We have to work soemthing out to give them SAFE time to explore & run around. I thought Sarah's room was pretty safe - we even put the bed frame in the basement and the  mattress & box spring on the floor so they can't get up inside her bed. (I had ferrets, so been there, done that).

All I can say is, whew!  And "it's only money".  ;) {We will eat cereal this week! LOL}

Carrie

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
Re: Cinnamon's Emergency Vet Visit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 08:59:28 PM »
Wow, I am so glad that Cinnamon is okay!  I know how you feel about the vet bill, but be thankful that you were able to get her in somewhere right away.  :)

Is there the possibility that one of the kids may have been anxious and grabbed her by the tail?  I know a lot of deglovings seen on this forum have happened that way.  Sometimes kids get excited and forget.
|| Lise ||

The Boy: Simon  The Girls: Arizona | Karma | Pepper | Penelope 

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline wonderrodent

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • owned by three rodentists
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »
Wow, what a shock!! I am so glad that Cinnamon is OK now. Hope she'll heal fast!

<br/>www.wonderrodent.com<br/>
"Men have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it. You remain responsible forever for what you have tamed."

Offline *CARRIE*

• Pics of my rats
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:48:59 PM »

Is there the possibility that one of the kids may have been anxious and grabbed her by the tail?  I know a lot of deglovings seen on this forum have happened that way.  Sometimes kids get excited and forget.

YIKES!! I didn't know that could happen!!! :shocked2:
So if you hold a rat tail & they run, their skin comes off the bone?!
GROSS!
I do doubt it, but it is possible that my son did it or that it got caught on something.  There were stuffed animals around - I think they were having a rat/animal picnic.  My daughter, I wouldn't say she's responsible enough to totally take care of animals on her own, but I don't think she would do that. 

I just went and taked to them about it & he said he didn't.  They both said they didn't touch the closet door either!  But Sarah siad, "Remember that book we read.  It said never pull a rat's tail unless they are really biting each other."

Cinnamon has almost exposed her stitches already.  They said "try" to keep the bandages on for 24 hours.  She just doesn't want them on there.  I jsut hope she doesn't pull the stitches out!  Sarah is on a vigil until she falls asleep...

C

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 09:52:40 PM »
I've noticed that tail and toe booboos are quite common and do result in lots of $$ at the vets.
At least she's all fixed up and happy again.
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »
So if you hold a rat tail & they run, their skin comes off the bone?!
GROSS!

Sadly yes, but it is a defence mechanism in the wild.  It actually doesn't take much at all to pull off the tip of the tail and expose bone.  That is why even if you must grab the rat by the tail if its biting etc. you should always grab at the base of the tail right by the bum.  

I wouldn't worry about the bandage too terribly much, just watch she isn't pulling out the stitches.  And I'm sure you know this and have done it already, but she should be on either paper towel or cloth bedding to keep the chances of infection to a minimum.  
|| Lise ||

& Always Remembered: Molly, Nora, Tevy, Lucy, Guinness, Seagram, Pixie, Cleopatra, Skye, Bella, Juno, Sasha, Gibson

Offline *CARRIE*

• Pics of my rats
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 09:04:16 AM »

I wouldn't worry about the bandage too terribly much, just watch she isn't pulling out the stitches.  And I'm sure you know this and have done it already, but she should be on either paper towel or cloth bedding to keep the chances of infection to a minimum.  

UPDATE - She chewed a stitch off!  My daughter fell asleep watching her, and then I did for a while.  I woke up at 4 am and there was a large drop of blood at the tip of her amputated tail and no bandage.  I put a band-aid on it pretty much immediately, then DH realized that the stitch was on the floor of the cage! I called the emergency vet & they said that she'd have to come back in, but not until later since they were really busy.  She's there now & they are observing her with "bandage design #2"! 

I picked out several t-shirts for "bedding" for her - that's what I'm using for now.  She was great with the antibiotics, compared to toehr pets I've had to medicate at least :-).

Carrie

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »
Oh, gosh, how scary!  I'm so glad she's ok, although being a bit of trouble with the stitches.
~Rebecca

Offline Lise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Animal Crazed
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »
Ask the vet about possibly using surgical glue on the incision!  Seems to often work much better.

As well if you do a search there have been some ratty "cones" used in the past.

Poor Cinnamon, she just doesn't understand. (And poor Mommy too.)
|| Lise ||