Author Topic: WANTED: Teacup Pomeranian for Loving Mommy! San Marcos, TX  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Kerg

• Ritten
WANTED: Teacup Pomeranian for Loving Mommy! San Marcos, TX
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:01:46 AM »
Recently my family owned a rescued dog by the name of Duke. Duke was an ex-fighting dog, obviously abandoned because of his medical issues. He showed up in our backyard with bloody feet, bloody gums, heartworms, and a ring rubbed raw around his neck from a metal chain collar. The vet said that with the heartworms, he would most likely be dead within months. Miraculously, with treatment and care, Duke's heartworms vanished, and he lived with us for three years. Last week Duke was diagnosed with a failing immune system, and his loving mother was forced to have him put to sleep and cremated. He now sits beside her bed, just like he always did.

In an attempt to cheer her up, I, her daughter, am looking for the dog she's always wanted- A teacup pomeranian. Preferably, I would like a puppy so they may bond over time, but this isn't necessary. I am not looking for a breeder. I cannot afford $200 adoption fees or a $1000 dog that I'll only get fixed.
I'm just looking for another family member to fill the hole in our hearts that losing Duke left.
Please, if you are in central Texas and know of a dog that we could give a loving home, we would be willing to come pick it up in the area, even if it is a little drive.
Please e-mail me if you know of a teacup pom that needs a good home.
Thank you!

Offline Starbuck

• Posts Too Much!
Re: WANTED: Teacup Pomeranian for Loving Mommy! San Marcos, TX
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:45:59 AM »
http://crossroadschihuahuas.net/id7.html

It may be about Chihuahuas, but it applies to all of the 'teacup' things.

There is no such thing as a "teacup Chihuahua" or a "miniature Chihuahua" or a "pocket Chihuahua”. Unknowledgeable buyer’s use this phrase when looking to purchase a (what size?) Chihuahua. Please be clear about what size you want, teacup does not describe anything. That term is in the eyes of the beholder and since there is no true definition for “teacup” you may be taken advantage of. Some breeders use these cute phrases as marketing tools to describe the different sizes that Chihuahua's come in, but these are all incorrect. Knowledgeable breeders will NOT use that term. A breeder trying to take advantage of the public may describe any Chihuahua as a “teacup” and will they be wrong? What is a teacup anyway? There is only one Chihuahua breed ranging in sizes from 2 – 6 pounds. 

You do NOT want a Chihuahua that is less than 3 lbs no matter how cute it is! What you think is your “dream” puppy might indeed become your nightmare. Thoroughly research what health problems a very small Chihuahua may endure. Please keep in mind that any Chihuahua within the breed standard of 2 – 6 pounds is a very small dog. These very small Chihuahuas have great health risks. Their bones are fragile, there is not enough room in their small mouths for proper tooth growth and their internal organs are often very weak. They tend to have a lot of health problems and have problems regulating their blood sugar levels  which may cause seizures and even death. Often they live a few months or years and then their owners wake up one morning to discover that their beloved Chihuahua has died of sudden heart or organ failure.

http://www.chiwantone.com/documents/teacupwarning.pdf
Another thing about 'teacups'.

So I recommend you look for a normal sized Pomeranian.

Offline Kerg

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:51:42 PM »
The term 'teacup' is often switched out with the term 'toy', which refers to a smaller version of the breed. When I say 'Teacup Pomeranian' I mean the toy breed, which gets to about 4-6 pounds at its adult stage. I have seen them in person and know someone that breeds them- They are very adorable! Unfortunately, they are also very popular in breeding circles, so they are expensive..

Thank you for the info, though. Small dogs are very fragile, it's true, but we are used to such risks and don't mind them if it means having a wonderful pet.  :thumbsup2:

Offline rapforjane

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ich kam, ich sah, ich siegte
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:00:09 PM »
The term 'teacup' is often switched out with the term 'toy', which refers to a smaller version of the breed. When I say 'Teacup Pomeranian' I mean the toy breed, which gets to about 4-6 pounds at its adult stage. I have seen them in person and know someone that breeds them- They are very adorable! Unfortunately, they are also very popular in breeding circles, so they are expensive..

Thank you for the info, though. Small dogs are very fragile, it's true, but we are used to such risks and don't mind them if it means having a wonderful pet.  :thumbsup2:

That's not entirely true. Teacup actually refers to the breeding of runts. I'm a groomer, I see these "teacup" animals and you'd be better off avoiding them (luxating petellas, collapsing tracheas, poor bone density making them more fragile than they already are, just to name a few). Pomeranians ARE a toy breed, they should weigh no more than 7lbs ANYWAY. ANY of the toy breeds are toys, regardless of the "title" (teacup/minature in otherwords, as well as "giant"). They don't exist in breed clubs either, unless it's a breed club that isn't endorsed by the AKC.

Check out a Pomeranian rescue, you may get lucky and find the perfect dog. My most earnest recommendation is staying far far away from breeders offering "teacup/miniature" toy breeds, period. They're not breeding to better the breed, they're breeding for profit and in the end you'll pay for it.