Author Topic: reccomended food?  (Read 7567 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
reccomended food?
« on: October 07, 2007, 08:36:52 PM »
hello,
i was previously getting timothy pellets from a local petstore near me, btu they're really starting to irritate the crap out of me, so i'm writing a complaint letter and putting an article in my school newspaper to let people realize the new owner is a halfwit who cares only about money and not the animals she sells...
anyway...seeing as this is probably not going to make me welcome in the store now, where would you recommend i go to get new bunny pellets? are there any online (or landline  ::)) stores people go to that aren't too expensive?
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Re: reccomended food?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:15:36 AM »
Oxbow and American Pet Diner sell the most recommended pellets  :)  You can buy directly from them.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:22:56 AM »
I recommend Oxbow to anyone  :). I LOVE the quality and my bunnies love it as well. I have never been disappointed with Oxbow. It can get expensive, yes...but if you only have one bunny...then it should cost you next to nothing.

I order 50lbs of Oxbow from their site (www.oxbowhay.com) and it costs me $50. I get the highest quality pellets for $1 a pound, can't beat that! You can also get a lesser amount...for a great price, still!

How old is your bunny?
What type of pellets are you feeding now (the brand name and alfalfa or timothy?)?
How much pellets do you feed daily?
Do you feed unlimited hay (what type?)?

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
Right now Salvador is 7 months and though a mutt, seems to be a dwarf english spotted bun bun.
I normally feed him unlimited timothy hay (a.k.a: there's constantly a small pile imn his cage that i replenish if it runs out), as well as timothy pellets (about 1 cup a day) and then a few jumbo organic carrots mixed with cilantro or carrots mixed with lettuce, or carrots mixed with turnip greens or carrots mixed with parsely (a.k.a: there's always carrots, but the greens may vary...those are the only ones I've given him so far)
He's pretty small still, about the size of a size 7 shoe...i dunno how much he weighs b/c my bf won't allow me to keep a scale in the house  ::) b/c he insists I'll fuss about my weight.
Am i doing anything wrong with this current diet?
Also, I heard the purina show bunny quality is good too...i think i have a feed store about 20 min. form here, maybe i shoudl look into seeing if they have it? (i also heard it's cheaper)

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »
Remember that cheaper is not always better. I have heard of Purina Rabbit Chow (in the green bag) killing off rabbits in rabbitries. It actually happened to a breeder friend of mine. I would never recommend that food. It really is of poor quality and I believe it is alfalfa based, anyway, which is NOT good for an adult rabbit unless they were malnourished. It is cheap, yes. I can get 25lbs of it here for $8.

Your diet sounds great, but remember that with any diet...be sure to switch foods/introduce foods over a few weeks time. A rabbit's digestive tract is very sensitive.

You say "lettuce"....are you feeding iceburg or a red leaf type?

So you have a picture of Salvador? I may be able to tell you his breed.

:)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 11:03:32 PM »
i'm liking the stuff on oxbow.com, so i think i'm gonna start getting my stuff from there...i feed him green lettuce...not iceberg, but it's a dark green
i can't post pictures of him on this site as i can't download pics into an album on this site and i don't have an onloine album to post from either, but i have avideo of him on youtube playing with a cat feather toy...you get a good enough view of him on that i think
he looks like he has black spots, but really it's more of a bittersweet chocolate col.or, close to black but not quite.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fYa3tz5GTXI

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 11:56:53 PM »
I hope you get the Oxbow. It is really great food!

Your rabbit actually looks like a Polish, to me.

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 09:43:20 AM »
a polish what? sorry, i dunno much about buns :doh:...did you mean polish dwarf or polish spotted?

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 07:50:50 PM »
A Polish rabbit  :)...

http://www.rabbitandcavydirectory.com/Breed_Gallery/Polish.htm

His color would be a "black and white broken", not spotted. There is no such thing as a "spotted" rabbit pattern, it is just referred to as "broken". The Polish breed is in fact, a dwarf breed, but he wouldn't be referred to as a "Polish Dwarf", just a "Polish" rabbit.

:)

I think you should definitely join the forum that I moderate for...

www.rabbitsonline.net

You will learn EVERYTHING about your baby and how to take care of him. Goosemoose's section of the forum on rabbit's isn't very helpful. On the forum that I moderate for, we have rabbit libraries and thousands of helpful members to put rabbit knowledge into you  :P.

Offline maherwoman

• Ritten
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 11:29:46 PM »
Hi!

As far as food, if you wanted to go cheaper than Oxbow, you can try Kaytee Timothy Complete.  I've got five buns, all in excellent shape, and all were eating it until I found Oxbow being sold at a much cheaper price (at-cost) at a feed store nearby.

Here's a good site that lists recommended percentages of what a bun's food should contain:

http://www.lagomorphs.com/pellets.pdf

Always go by percentages...:D

Hugs!

Rosie*
Owned by eight bunnies: Girls: Maisie, Flower, Trixie, and SweetPea; Boys: Fiver, Dusty, Bun Bun, and Harley (& angel bunny, Drew). :D
Sr.Mod at Rabbits Online Forum.