Author Topic: "cherry eye?"  (Read 3925 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
"cherry eye?"
« on: October 15, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
Hello,
I recently took in 4 feral kittens at about 12 weeks of age...i've managed to turn 2 around COMPLETELY adn they're about ready to go to forever homes, though i want one of them to put on some weight first, but now another one of them (who is still not too sure of humans) has what my bf is calling "cherry eye"
it looks like her inner lid is showing on the side adn i's pink and gross looking (it makes my eyes water to see it). Other than knowing what it's called my bf doens't know what to do about it. is there a solution i can try at home? none of the vets here are giving discounts even though i'm just fostering adn if at all possible i'd like to take care of this in the cheapest way possible (unless that would make it worse or just not work).
I just don't know what it is  :( she seems ok otherwise i catch her eating and drinking like normal and playing with her siblings, but unless this is the kind of thing that takes care of itself i would like to do what i can to fix it.
P.S.: This may not be the right thread, but I live in CT...if anyone is interested in a kitten, please PM me
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: "cherry eye?"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 09:33:01 AM »
I did a little research on this, and got some conflicting information.  One site says "cherry eye" is uncommon in cats, but Burmese tend more toward it than other breeds.  One site says cats don't get cherry eye.  One site says that if you leave it alone for 2 or 3 weeks, it might correct itself.  One site says that the longer you leave it, the more difficult it is to correct.  All sites agree that the way to correct it is surgery.  :P  Sounds like you should check with your vet.
~Rebecca

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »
i'm thinking that too, but my mom said we'd try some witch hazel to see if that helps...she thjinks it's just an infection in her eye

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »
It could be conjunctivitis, as opposed to "cherry eye", which, I believe, is actually a prolapsed tear duct.  The only way to correct cherry eye is surgery, but if it's conjunctivitis, it might be correctable with antibiotics.  I'm not sure witch hazel will do the trick.  He really should see a vet for a diagnosis so that you know exactly what you're dealing with.

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:40:31 PM »
I'm thinking witch hazel would hurt in your eye.  :shocked2:
~Rebecca

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
i don't know too much about witch hazel myself, but my mom insists it doesn't sting (and I know it doesn't on cuts) she plasn to put it in the fridge for a litle while so it will feel "cool and refreshing" it looks a little less worse today, so she said that if it doesn't get better by friday we'll set up an appointment for the vet

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
I think the only reason witch hazel would burn the eye is if it was an extract with alcohol in it.  I'm still not convinced of it's curative powers, especially on something as sensitive as an eye, though.

Offline Lmbswimmer

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 04:38:32 PM »
Our dog got cherry eye after having a tumor removed from her eyelid.  She had to have a second surgery to fix her eye.  They actually ended up taking over half her eyelid, and had to sew her eye half shut.  It's an interesting look.

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »
my bf's dog had it once but the vets fixed it while performing her spay operation...though one of her eyes has a few larger blood vessels than the other, there was no extra surgery needed or anything, the vets said "it was an easy fix" and I think they meant the cherry eye, not the actual spay  ;)
hopefully the poor kitten won't have to go through all that, not only for her sake but my wallet's too...I was just hoping to take these guys in, get them checked for feline lukemia/aids and adopt them out

Adopt your own![/URL