Author Topic: The litterbox is now a digging box...  (Read 2310 times)

Offline GoldStar

The litterbox is now a digging box...
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:21:32 AM »
I'm trying to litter train the girls, but they seem to think that the litterbox is one of their dig boxes. I have fleece down and their bedding now, but I was using Kaytee clean and cozy (I think that's the name? It's like fluffy white paper) which I've put in the litterbox. I put some dirty bedding in it, too. The problem is, they just play in it! They pull everything out of it. They do have a dig box in their cage as one of their toys that I fill with fabric scraps and torn up napkins. How can I get them to understand the difference between the two?
Also, if anyone has tips or tricks for litter training I'd love to hear them!
Rattie mom of Penny Quinn and Luna Star <3
~Rainbow Bridge rats: Remy, Lacey, Alice, Dexter and Butters~

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
Re: The litterbox is now a digging box...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:51:06 AM »
Can you try a harder bedding like a pellet?   

Offline Aulyvia

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:51:26 AM »
There are corner litter trays with wire over the top.  So they can't get into the litter they just sit on top.  Personally I use yesterdays news and dont have that problem.  Maybe it's because the litter is heavier.  I have no idea...

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »
yesterday's news has been confirmed by the company to contain pine

Offline Aulyvia

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »
Seriously?!  I always thought it was the best litter out there!  :(

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
yeah, it has floor sweepings and sawdust in it, some have found staples and such in it in the past.   

Esqusicat is good, as is planet petco paper.

Offline Selskia

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
If you like the super-poofy-when-wet of Yesterday's News, Planet Petco behaves similarly (though not quite as dramatically). And best of all, with no guilt about pine!'

To address your actual question, though...I've found that my boys definitely consider litter to be digging substrate. I actually modified my cage so that I had slide-out 'pans' under one of the shelves, where they like to pee the most, such that they can't reach it. If I just install the pan inside the cage, they inevitably figure out some way to empty it.
Neurotic mother hen to the blue boys, Mouse and Doodleflop.

RIP Coconut and Macadamia, you were the best introduction to pet ownership a girl could ask for.

Offline GoldStar

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:02:48 AM »
I'll check out a pelleted litter. What do you all recommend if Yesterday's News should be avoided?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:17:14 AM »

Offline taivas

• Ritten
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 06:05:13 AM »
Some choices are:

Esquisicat
Planet Petco paper (pelleted)
http://www.petco.com/product/10515/Green-Pet-Aspen-Supreme-Pellets-Pet-And-Bird-All-Natural-LitterBedding.aspx is what I use.

http://www.freshnewslitter.com - they have three different products (i use the blue one, "small animal litter") and should be available in the US

then there's TOA-LÄTT, also 100% recycled paper (and no baking soda), a swedish brand, but i don't think it's sold outside northern europe
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:09:54 AM by taivas »

Offline foxontherox

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »
I had to quit using litter altogether- instead of a toilet, it was food storage/sleeping box/party time.  Now the litter box is just a box, and they use it as intended.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »
I'll check out a pelleted litter. What do you all recommend if Yesterday's News should be avoided?

When I can find it, I like Eco-bedding, which is crinkle-cut paper.  When I can't find it, I use CareFresh Crinkles, which is a very similar product.  (Unless you have a strong constitution, you will probably wish to avoid the hot-pink version.  I use the soothing blue-and-aqua or the neutralish green-and-brown.)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline GoldStar

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »
Hmm... I think eco bedding would be used as a digging box as well xD
If I switch to a pelleted litter do you think it will effect their litter training? They've been doing so well with it. I'm worried that if I switch it will confuse them. Thoughts?

Offline Selskia

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »
You could always try mixing a little new pellet litter in with the old fluffier litter, then just gradually increase the amount of pellet litter. You'll have to deal with the digging a bit longer, and there's a slight chance that it will teach them to dig up pellet litter...but it would help with the litter training transition.
Neurotic mother hen to the blue boys, Mouse and Doodleflop.

RIP Coconut and Macadamia, you were the best introduction to pet ownership a girl could ask for.

Offline joesandy1822

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
I had to quit using litter altogether- instead of a toilet, it was food storage/sleeping box/party time.  Now the litter box is just a box, and they use it as intended.
This interests me.  Do you mean you still have the litter box, but leave it empty, as in no litter?  And they use it as a litter box with no litter?   ???  I have thought about trying that, but never thought it would work. 

Offline foxontherox

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »

This interests me.  Do you mean you still have the litter box, but leave it empty, as in no litter?  And they use it as a litter box with no litter?   ???  I have thought about trying that, but never thought it would work. 

Yep, just a plastic box.  If they are anything like dogs in this, they will notice the different "texture" of the box, vs. the towels that I use as cage liners.  Also, if you can figure out which corner is the "toilet" and put the box there, that will help.  The empty box with no litter can get kinda grody, so if it fills up they'll quit using it, but I empty it every day and they do pretty darn good!

Offline joesandy1822

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »

Yep, just a plastic box.  If they are anything like dogs in this, they will notice the different "texture" of the box, vs. the towels that I use as cage liners.  Also, if you can figure out which corner is the "toilet" and put the box there, that will help.  The empty box with no litter can get kinda grody, so if it fills up they'll quit using it, but I empty it every day and they do pretty darn good!

That's great!  Mine tend to dig around in the litter and scatter it around.  That would solve that problem.  But listen to this......

I have a corner litter box on the bottom of the CN which I use pelleted paper litter in.  My 4 girls are VERY good about using it for poop.  But they have been doing something really strange lately.  It is actually quite smart if you think about it.  I don't know which one is doing it, but somebody is actually carrying the litter piece by piece up to the top of the cage and depositing a little pile of it on the top levels of their 2 honeycomb hammocks, and then pooping on that!!!  I just find it so intelligent that they identify the litter as a place to poop, and they made their own top-level litter box out of their hammocks.  I took the top level of the CN out a long time ago, because they were using that just as a bathroom, and it would get gross.  But I guess they are tired of having to go downstairs to potty.

I never cease to be amazed by these creatures!  I think I will send this story to Debbie D.  I think she would get a kick out of it.

Sandy

Offline maladie

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
My kiddos love to use the litter box...then sleep in it and eat there too, next thing I know someone's nibbled up on a poo covered banana piece and then comes and snuggles in my hair...as you imagine sometimes I smell just rosy. I'm contemplating getting them a new cage but I want something that won't get chewed up or pooed up and I'm not sure which direction to go!
edit, that wire covered box sounds interesting and somewhat promising. pix?