Author Topic: Please post your Feisty Ferret cage pictures!  (Read 77513 times)

Offline Dori

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Me and my best guy!
    • Safe Haven Humane Society
Please post your Feisty Ferret cage pictures!
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:11:05 PM »
I'd like to see how everyone decorated their Feisty Ferret cage; I am thinking about getting one to replace my RUUD cage. Thanks!

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Please post your Feisty Ferret cage pictures!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »
I just bought a Feisty Ferret for my three 7-8 month old boys :)
Top Half

Bottom

Whole cage

Yes one of the ramps I "borrowed" from my FN because one of my wussy baby boys didn't like the solid ramps lol-- the bottom ramp I left out and just put the igloo under it for them to get up and down through the hole in the balcony

Proud Mom to 
Corbin,Zac,Lucas,Noah and Liam
miss you Melka and Brady..

Offline Dori

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Me and my best guy!
    • Safe Haven Humane Society
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:03:50 PM »
That looks so good! I love your colors and that Easter basket! It looks like the left door does not open, is that right? Do you notice it being a problem? I am thinking now I might put my two girls in there instead, do you think the bar spacing is ok for girls?

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »
I don't mind that only one side opens- to be perfectly honest it makes me nervous with the FN to open both sides. I am always afraid the boys piling up(and pushing each other) on the balcony will fall out lol so I tend to open only the right side unless I am cleaning. The Feisty Ferret is a good cage- not quite the quality that the FN is but I am pleased with it. It opens a total of HALF the cage- much bigger space than the Martins. I can reach everything and get my head and shoulder/arm in with no problem. I love that I can reach through and give scritches and get kisses. The bar spacing is 7/8 ths of an inch. I don't think adult girlies could get through- My big boys seem lost in it lol- there is a good amount of space.

Proud Mom to 
Corbin,Zac,Lucas,Noah and Liam
miss you Melka and Brady..

Offline pawsplus

• Blue Heron Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:39:30 PM »
My cage looks MUCH cuter than this now -- I will get new pix soon. I now have liners I made myself and cubes and such courtesy of Maeve. :)  This is back before than when I was using towels.

Elizabeth, Jake and Joey
Visit my website

Offline kav831

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 04:56:18 PM »
I've had mine about 2 weeks. I'm really happy with it. My girls are on the small side and can not get anything but their noses through the bars. I like that only one side opens up b/c I have more control of who comes out. Very easy to clean. The stairs are made of plastic so I just rinsed them in the sink. The only thing I didn't like was the bar spacing on the middle shelf so I bought 12x12 ceramic tiles and covered them with flannel.

bottom:

top:

Offline XxPixieSworldxX

• Pixie's World Rattery
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:50:39 PM »
RNPaulie,

I just wanted to comment, that my daughter has that same flowery comforter lol... Dunno why I just thought it was funny :p

*Edited by Dearpie to remove unnecessarily quoted pictures.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 01:04:29 AM by Dearpie »
Melissa Hubbard

Offline Rodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • Feetsies!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »
I have a few questions for anyone who owns a feisty ferret.

If anyone has the time, or wouldn't mind doing this, could you measure how tall the ACTUAL cage is, not including the wheels and rack thing beneath? Either that or measure the wheels up to the bottom of the cage. I'm trying to get a picture of how much room the rat will have in the cage. I want to do an accurate cage calculator with it. How many rats can it comfortably fit?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:54:37 PM by Rodent »

Offline fakesalt

• Smile! :)
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 11:12:41 AM »
rodent, i don't have an FF or an FN, but i'm guessing that the FF is about the same size as the FN, and a 2-story FN can hold about 15 rats, give or take. more girls can fit, less boys can fit.

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »
Just by looking at the overall dimensions of both cages the FF is: 31.5"W x 20.5"D x 55"H and the FN is: 36in L x 25in W x 62in H.  This is including the stand.  The FN has greater length and width, and probably has a higher stand.  According to the cage calculator the FN (without the stand) can hold 6 rats per level, so 12 total.  I would think about 8-9rats fit in the FF.  I couldn't find the actual dimensions of the FF without the stand so this is just my guesstimate.

Offline Rodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • Feetsies!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 11:49:21 AM »
Thank you.

I think I might go with the FN. I'm still kind of unsure, though. I'd like to save $200 so I can get the Ferret Nation. I will buy it at ferret.com for $154 (Unless it goes up again, then I think I will get the FF) I might end up having to modify the Ferret Nation, since I own girls. Ugh! This is so hard! I even have a thread about it, but I still can't totally decide, even though I'm already leaning somewhere.  :BangHead:

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »
You could just get the one level FN, as that would be plenty of space for your 3 girls, and still allow for future GGMR! :)

Offline Rodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • Feetsies!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 12:03:50 PM »
That is true, and I would like to get two more girls, but then it would be a little crowded and sometimes I can't get them out for playtime, so with five females and a two level FN would provide alot of room...but the one level is a good idea. I might still have to go with the 142.  :doh:  :-\ :)

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 08:56:15 PM »
Can someone take a picture of this cage with a cat in it, like the FN? Or with a dog next to it? I really want to get an idea of how big this cage really is.

Offline w1ngs0fate

• w1ngs0fate.deviantart.com
    • DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 11:28:55 AM »
Lovely cages, guys!  :thumbsup2:

I was wondering though, judging by this picture I found though, it appears there are 2 circular holes in the platforms, no doubt for food dishes.  But I couldn't find anything about the dishes being included with the cage?!  Were they?  Or did you all have to buy those seperately somewhere??

Also!  Could someone please give me the dimensions?  I'm going to be getting the Feisty Ferret cage for Christmas, so I'd like to have liners all made and ready before the cage comes.  Sooooo, I need the dimensions of the 2 floors as well as the 2 platforms.  I'm guessing creating liners for this cage will be difficult, considering there are two circular holes in the platforms.  I'm not really sure how to go about working around that...

Offline Kimmiekins

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rattie Lovin'
    • Rattie Love Rescue
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 12:13:11 PM »
My partner and I would musing over the holes in the shelves while looking at the display model. We figured out (at least, we think) that you can switch the ramp so that it's under the hole. However, I don't know how well that would work if you did that with both, and how the ladder from the middle floor would hit, and it's something I'd love to know about, too.
Owner of Rattie Love Rescue in Cincinnati, Ohio
We serve the Tri-State Area (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana) & beyond
Petfinder | Gift Shop

Offline w1ngs0fate

• DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Ahh, yeah I hadn't thought about that.  I could see that.

Somebody with experience with the Feisty Ferret cage please let me know lol!

Offline pawsplus

• Blue Heron Farm
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »
I was wondering though, judging by this picture I found though, it appears there are 2 circular holes in the platforms, no doubt for food dishes.  But I couldn't find anything about the dishes being included with the cage?!  Were they?  Or did you all have to buy those seperately somewhere??
I ended up just putting my fleece over the hole.  I.e., the fleece is attached to the cage anyway (I use large safety pins) so it doesn't really matter -- once the fleece is over the whole shelf it's like the hole isn't there.

I did try attaching the ramps so the rats could come up through the holes when they come up the ramps, and I think that's the intended purpose, but (1) it made the angle kind of steep, and (2) it made affixing the liners difficult.  So I just covered them, as above.
Elizabeth, Jake and Joey
Visit my website

Offline kav831

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 04:55:40 PM »
You can move the ladder either in front or behind the hole. On the bottom shelf I put it behind and put a box under it to make it less steep (pix above) and the top I put the ladder in the front and they just don't use that hole.  I guess ferrets are longer so they can just climb thru those holes.

Offline w1ngs0fate

• DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 05:13:53 PM »
Mmmmm, so it is to crawl through then.  Okay!  Lol I was just confused.  I guess I can just get liners to cover those.

Oh, a little off topic, but what kind of safety pins/clips do you use to hold down your liners??  And where can you get them from?

Offline pawsplus

• Blue Heron Farm
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
I just use large-size pins from the craft/fabric store.  Big safety pins. Diaper pins would be good, too, but they are hard to find these days!
Elizabeth, Jake and Joey
Visit my website

Offline MaevePotter

• Posts Too Much!
    • Meg's Magical Hammocks
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 05:23:03 AM »
Oh wow, Elizabeth, I was just looking at your website, what a great place you have!! I would love to have all of that space. Have you ever had trouble with horses kicking each other? My aunt had one of her borded horses shatter one of her horse's legs and had to have her put down. How do they deal when taken away from your place? Having been so attached and all?

Anyway... back on topic! Show me your new picures! I am dying to see :) Also, if you wouldn't mind posting measurements of the shelves and floors when you get the time, that would be awesome. I am the one who is going to make the liners for w1ngs0fate, and I have never seen the FF in person. :) I would be willing to give you a deal on some liners or hammocks for yourself for the trouble :)
:heart: Loved by: Sean, Mittens, Honey, Little Bear, Pewpew, Thomas, Midget, Benjamin, Little Heart, Petal, Piranha, and Cricket.
Mommy misses: Dumbo, Piper, Emily, Merlyn, Theo, sweet Finn, Georgiana, Winston, Lily, Owen, Nicholas, Albus, Dumbledore, sweet Daphne, Fiona, Roger, Esther, and Caius.

Offline w1ngs0fate

• DeviantArt Gallery
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 08:42:25 AM »
Hmm, well I thought that was a good deal, Meave, especially since I would assume most people would have those measurements somewhere if they've ordered fleece in the past, unless they made them themselves hehe.

Offline pawsplus

• Blue Heron Farm
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 10:17:26 AM »
Oh wow, Elizabeth, I was just looking at your website, what a great place you have!! I would love to have all of that space. Have you ever had trouble with horses kicking each other? My aunt had one of her borded horses shatter one of her horse's legs and had to have her put down. How do they deal when taken away from your place? Having been so attached and all?
Well, horses do kick, but most problems b/t horses occur when they are stabled part of the time (when they are out 24/7 there is no "re-entry" period where the hierarchy must be re-established).  Additionally, most major injuries inflicted via kicking occur when horses are shod -- it's the difference b/t being hit w/ a bare fist and being hit w/ brass knuckles.  I am a barefoot trimmer and believe that all horses should be barefoot.  I board horses, but no horses w/ hind shoes are ever allowed on my property, period.

Horses are herd animals, so no, they don't love being separated.  But they are ridden separately and often travel to shows, clinics, etc.  They adjust.  We never take more than 2 at a time (having a 2-horse trailer!) so there are always at least 2 left home, and as long as they have each other they are fine.   :)
Elizabeth, Jake and Joey
Visit my website

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
Spartan's top half:

Leonidas' bottom half:

The whole cage:

The cage is more full now. I got a chance last night (after taking these pictures, of course)....to make tons of fleece ropes, hang more toys & hammocks, ect. I love this cage and I would love to buy another one when I move into my house early(ish) next year  :).

Ohhh....the reason for one boy being on the top and one being on the bottom....is because we are doing intro's. Leo and Spar were both neutered about 4-5 weeks ago (I lost tract). This cage will be the home to Leo, Spar, and baby Ralphie once we are all intro'd...then home to any other ratties that may join us.

:rattysmiley:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:36:25 PM by undergunfire »