Author Topic: spraying/peeing? who care's either is GROSS!  (Read 5532 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
spraying/peeing? who care's either is GROSS!
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »
I have a bun bun who was born back in aprils. he is a dwarf english spotted, adn normally really sweet.
Howvere, he's picked up this habit of running in circles around my feet while i'm at the computer, which is cute - until he pees adn flicks his little bum, spraying pee on my ankles...is there any reason he may be doing this? he's not 100% potty trained, but he is normally pretty good about it, adn i can't tell if it's just pee or something else...it's kinda cloudy but watery like urine.
Any idea on how to make him stop? he only just started doing this, but three times is enough!  ::)
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
Re: spraying/peeing? who care's either is GROSS!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
Well the good news is, sounds like he is marking you.

How old is he? Is he neutered?
Supposedly neutering helps with this. I have a 9 month old boy who I had neutered because he pees by my back door every time he is out.
So far the neutering hasn't helped, but I've heard they usually grow out of this.

I'm new to rabbits, hopefully someone with more experience will be along.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:37:32 AM »
he is 7 months old
the cheapest vet i could find is going to cost me 268$ IF everything were to go smoothly.  :confused: and my health insurance just got cut, so I really can't afford a neuter right now, especially if it isn't a 100% guarentee  :(
Thanks for the input though

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »
Start looking around for a good vet who might be a better rate. He is prime age to start being really hormonal.

Rabbits breed....well, like rabbits. They are hard wired to reproduce as often & as much as possible. A male who is not neutered has a good chance of becoming aggressive, so for not only this reason, start thinking about getting him neutered.
Here's some info from House Rabbit Society on neutering:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1803&articleid=2147

If you think this marking is a problem, and aren't willing to get him neutered, I fear that you are in for a lot more problems with this boy.

Just remember, it's like keeping somebody in lockdown - they get aggressive if they cannot "sow their oats". I just would hate for you to have to rehome him if he gets too bad, just because you can't afford a neuter.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:21:01 AM »
I agree with Eileen. He NEEDS to be neutered, there is no other choice.

I can't tell you how important it is to spay/neuter your rabbits. That $268 will be the best money spent on your rabbit so far  :). Unaltered rabbits live a life torture, always being sexually frustrated.

Christmas is coming up, I suggest asking family for money instead of presents  ;).

Offline maherwoman

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:23:49 PM »
Maybe try googling things like "low-cost spay & neuter clinics" and looking at the main shelter site for your location.  Chances are, you'll come across a place like I did, that does spaying for $100 and neutering for $55.

My recommendation when you find a low-cost place:

1.  Ask them what kind of pain meds they offer for the bun (buprenex, brand name for buprenephrine, is the best...it's an opiate derivitive and works for 12+ hours).  If they don't offer any, ask if you can pay more for some.  If they still say no, find someone else.

2.  If they say to withhold food from the bun the night before their neuter/spay, ask them to be sure their information is correct (to check with the vet him/herself to be sure), and if they say yes, their information is correct, find someone else.  You DO NOT have to withhold food from buns...the reason they say to do it is because they're thinking of dogs and cats...and they are trying to keep the animal from vomitting from the anesthesia.  If they were bun-savvy, they would know that buns cannot vomit, and actually NEED to constantly be offered food, or their GI tract slowing down could be fatal. 

3.  Ask them what their percentage rate of fatality is with bunnies.  It should be stellar.

4.  Ask them how long they've been doing spay/neutering with bunnies.  You'll want someone who's well-familiar with it.

Above all else, be sure that YOU are comfortable with them...and that you are CERTAIN they are safe to send your bun to.

Hugs!

Rosie*
Owned by eight bunnies: Girls: Maisie, Flower, Trixie, and SweetPea; Boys: Fiver, Dusty, Bun Bun, and Harley (& angel bunny, Drew). :D
Sr.Mod at Rabbits Online Forum.

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 10:51:39 PM »
One of the shelters around here does it for $40.00.  Try calling around.
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline rufuscharlie

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:16:17 AM »
I would highly recommend that you have your rabbit neutered. The sooner the better. You can end up with an aggressive bunny otherwise. My female rabbit used to do circles around me and leave a poop ring. That behavior stopped after she was spayed. Try calling your local humane society or local house rabbit society for information.

Sandi

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »
what's so bad about them running in circles around you? Salvador does that (minus a poop ring) all the time and then crouches in front of me for scritches. I thought it was cute, not a behavior issue.

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline rufuscharlie

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 01:40:32 PM »
Hmmmm, OK, you totally missed my point here. I was TRYING to relate to you the behavior your bunny is displaying. Yes, the running around you in circles is cute. Unfortunately he is marking you as his mate. Generally, they run around you and then spray or poop. Isn't that what your bunny is doing, spraying? He may continue to run around you after he is neutered. HE will be a much happier bunny if neutered. I think enough of us gave our opinions regarding neutering and spaying. If you choose to not neuter him that is your business, but prepared for hormonal issues .
Sandi

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
Neutering will stop all that testosterone aggression behaviour.   Behaviour modification techniques and training generally won't work on that marking stuff.   And your furniture and walls will get sprayed, too.   
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome