Author Topic: Some Questions...  (Read 7896 times)

Offline pet_lover

• Ritten
Some Questions...
« on: December 24, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Hi everyone! :) I'm new on these forums, but I had a couple questions to ask right off the bat...

I know that by going to the Rabbit Forums I'm going into a bit of a biased area, but I wanted to ask a couple questions comparing rabbits with guinea pigs.

Do rabbits or guinea pigs generally smell more?

Are rabbits or guinea pigs usually more calm and friendly?

I heard that rabbits will often follow their owners around the house-is this true?

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies-I will probably have plenty more questions, but thanks for answering these ones!

Offline rufuscharlie

Re: Some Questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:32:54 PM »
I too would like answers comparing rabbits to guinea pigs. We sadly had to re-home our rats due to allergies. We are looking at guinea pigs. We do have rabbits. We have three female lops, so I can answer some of your questions. First of all, they all have very different personalities. They are all spayed. I would highly advise you to spay or neuter your rabbits. They can be moody and difficult to live with if not altered. It is healthier for them as well.It is very expensive to treat animals considered exotics so check out vets in your area. We have one rabbit who enjoys following us and being near us. One will sit on our lap and let you pet her. The third rabbit acts more like a cat. She will chase a ball and jump up on the couch to be with us. She loves people and loves to be pet. It oftens depends how they were bred and raised as babies. We have two that love to be together and are bonded. One likes to be the only one. They themselves do not smell. Their cages are easy to clean as they use their litter box. They need to come out to run daily. I hope this answers some of your questions. Sadly this forum is not very active in the rabbit section. You may want to check our your local House Rabbit Society. I would also recommend checking in to adopting a bonded pair. Good Luck!!
Sandi

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:35:49 PM »
I've had both.   Smell hasn't been an issue for me for either one, as long as I stick to the litter-box cleaning schedule.  I did have a male rabbit that sprayed sometimes before he was neutered.  And I did have one rescue buck that had strong smelling urine when he was younger, but the Critter Country litter took care of that. 

I have had rabbits follow me around the house.   Usually looking for a snack.

Haven't noticed a difference in the calm and friendliness dept.   Guinea pigs may be a big easier because of their smaller size.  If they kick while you are picking them up, you aren't going to get scratched as easily as with a kicking bun.

Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline ratzluver

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »
I will try to answer your questions as well as I can.
1. Guinea pigs definently stink more! Rabbits can stink if they are not fixed.

2.Guinea pigs are usually calmer, but both rabbits and guinea pigs can be friendly if you handle them frequently. Rabbits generally don't like to cuddle, but love attention. Guinea pigs usually cuddle and love attention.

3.If you have had a rabbit a while and it likes you and knows you are a food source, generally yes they will follow you.

Welcome to Goosemoose!
A house is not a home without a pet!