Author Topic: "Habitat Simulated"/"Organic" Rat Enclosure  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Popcorn

• Posts Too Much!
Re: "Habitat Simulated"/"Organic" Rat Enclosure
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 07:51:07 PM »
I have read through the entire original post and what you describe sounds like a fabulous enclosure for a lizard.   What most of us rat people are most horrified of is the thought of using dirt/soil as a base.  None of us can imagine the sensitive respiratory systems of a rats getting along well with that, except maybe if you go out and catch some wild rats.  Maybe before you make any more plans you could go and visit some rat owners.  Not just to see the homes the rats live in but to get familiar with domesticated rat behaviour.  Once you've done that take your obvious creative talent and really build a better rat house.  Maybe make a digging tank part of their enclosure instead of making it the entire base.

Mumsy's Rat Rescue - Rescue, Foster and Adoption
Serving Barrie, South Simcoe and the Greater Toronto Area.  RatLady@gmail.com

Offline Em B

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 08:09:21 PM »
To those who have read my post and provided genuine open-mindedness, suggestions, as well as negotiating things that are appropriate to the post and considerate of intentions best for rats, thank you very much. I appreciate your suggestions and honest concern. I will work with the education that you have given me. In any case, I will do what is best for the rats, with my personal touches afterward.

I will not name specific people, but there are people within this thread that have misunderstood ideas as well as presented incorrect or uncertain information, and have implied other things (one that I can think of that was directed to my personal character) as well that have made me feel uncomfortable. Of course I understand that this is a public forum, and that those things will happen- but I don't want to be a part of something that I personally feel will oppress my creativity, or be harmful instead of helpful to me.

I understand the unwavering law to do what's best for your friends if you choose to adopt an animal, and I abide by that. I'm probably going to construct my own enclosure, or modify a bird cage. I'm also planning on talking with a reputable breeder about this issue, and getting facts that I feel are more direct.

So, I think I'm going to end this discussion on my end. I would request to have it locked, but there's not much wrong with leaving it unlocked, as far as I can see. I've seen threads on this forum go a little haywire before, and I think I would feel more comfortable with lurking than interacting for now.

So, I will probably not reply to any responses in my direction from now on. Once again, thanks for any help.

Offline hannahchase

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »

Lol so instead of "educating" me or anyone else you all choose to gang up and a bunch of argumentative bullys? I'm pretty sure that's working backwards. If I really was uneducated, I doubt I'll be willing to listen to people who are being very defensive and argumentative. And as for what you missed, what CassiHL said.

I am not sure what you are trying to say because your first sentence does not make sense. Why are we ganging up on her? Because we all agree that her set up is not healthy for rats? We love and care for our rats and we don't want to see any harm come to anyone else's rats. If you are educated like you claim then understand that. If you don't want to take our advice then go elsewhere and ask your questions and search other rat forums for answers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:18:25 PM by hannahchase »

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 08:19:16 PM »
I wasn't going to lock this thread because parts of it I found informative.  but at this point I feel it does need to be locked before it goes further down hill.