Author Topic: Newb bun owner with T.Hay and breed concerns....  (Read 4986 times)

Offline vickinewman

• Ritten
Newb bun owner with T.Hay and breed concerns....
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »
Ok, So I bought my first rabbit from a feed store early Dec and they told me she/he (I still can't figure it out) was only 5 wks old. I have been feeding her pellets, Timothy Hay and have been mixing my mouse food (seeds, pellets, dried fruit) and handfuls of misc fresh kitchen veggies. The hay in her bed has turned brown, I thought it was just from him sleeping on it. then  I noticed the hay still in the bag is almost all brown too. I only bought the bag two weeks ago. (it is Kaytee brand from PetSmart, I did read that post about switching to Oxbow or PetDiner). Is the reason the hay turned brown because of the brand, the storage conditions, age, or something else? I am assuming it is NOT ok to give the brown hay to my bun (I wouldn't want to anyway).
I am not sure what her breed is, my sister who had some Dutch boys said mine is a dutch too. But I think he is a Silver. She is all, solid black with a lt grey undercoat and the hair turns grey the closer to the skin it is. I did some research, and I think that my bunny (named Suzy Greypaw by my 8 yr old daughter) is a Polish, Silver, Havana, solid Dutch, or a Satin. I will post a pic of her if I can figure out how to. Thank you for your help.

Offline vickinewman

• Ritten
Re: Newb bun owner with T.Hay and breed concerns....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:07:06 PM »
undergunfire said "You need to introduce veggies VERY slowly, as she is a young bunny. Start out with a few leaves of parsley for the first month, then add in a few leaves of cilantro, a baby carrot, a tiny bit of red leaf lettuce. You need to go VERY slowly with veggies, and I mean....slow! It is very important."
I haven't heard this before. Why is this very important? I am still feeding her the pellets the store was, I slowly added the other food, but I just dumped different veggies in her dish. the house rabbit website said that I should give him atleast 3 diff types of kitchen veggies a day. And why is iceburg lettuce bad? I was giving it to my bun for a bit, but now I feed her the dark green lettuce you can buy at costco in a one pound box. She loves it!

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:10:10 PM »
Could be the hay has just dried out a bit.  That should be okay. The thing you have to worry about is getting it moist and having it rot.   Don't store it in an airtight container as that will encourage spoilage.  If there's any doubt, I would just throw it away and get new.  Not worth the risk with a baby bun.   

Here's a nice article on hay.
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-7/hay.html

If your bun has been okay so far with the veggies you are giving her I wouldn't worry.  That is, not in large quantities.   I would not give her the mouse food with seeds, grain, and fruit in it however.  Iceberg lettuce doesn't have much nutrition in it. 

Re:  the Costco box of mixed greens.  I don't use it much because it's not organic.   Rabbits are so small that I think it's important to try to give them foods grown without pesticides as much as possible.   Marcy of the Marin county, CA House Rabbit Society, mentioned in a lecture that it's not the best choice for all the time either, perhaps because there is not a lot of nutrition in the greens alone?   

I follow the diet guidelines on http://www.rabbit.org

That coat color sounds gorgeous.
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline vickinewman

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 01:47:52 AM »
Ok thank you! we just spent $50 on toys for the rabbit and the two mice. I heard that rabbits enjoys tossing balls. we got a grass mat and a grass ball. I hope she will figure out what to do with them. She just seems content to run and jump over various invented obsticles in her room. Thank you for the advice! it certainly helps.