Author Topic: Bedding in a steam cage?  (Read 601 times)

Offline a1issa

Bedding in a steam cage?
« on: December 30, 2007, 06:06:11 PM »
I'm curious what people use in the cages they steam their rats in... I'm worried about the bedding molding or getting soggy if I'm steaming rats (separately) several times a day.
Looking for dwarves!  WI or nearby.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Bedding in a steam cage?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 06:46:30 PM »
Steam cage?

Can't you just hold the ratties in your arms, while standing in the hot shower (away from the water)? The bathroom will steam up, and if you are in the hot shower with the shower curtain closed...the whole shower will be nice and steamy.

Offline a1issa

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »
My steam method is to boil the teakettle, remove from stove & cover teakettle and cage with fleece.  The rats hang out for 15-30 minutes, with chocolate chunks and a water bottle.

I noticed that everyone's myco has really flared up since the heat has been on constantly in the apartment.  It's *really* dry in here, and the steam seems to help some of them breathe better. 

Right now I have fabric in the travel cage, but it's really soaking up a lot of urine and stinking quickly.  I wouldn't want the steam cage to aggravate their respiratory systems instead of helping them!  That's why I'm trying to figure out what kind of bedding will hold up well to humidity and heat without reeking & molding.  I don't want to have to change it every day.

Thus, I'm wondering what other people do.

Offline fakesalt

• Smile! :)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
well, if you want to know what other people do, they use the shower method, like undergunfire said.

but i'm not sure for bedding. i s'pose Yesterday's News would work, because of its uber-absorbent-ness.  lol :)

Offline a1issa

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 08:54:30 PM »
People must take a lot of showers... or have six arms to hold all their rats...

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 10:02:19 AM »
I only have four rats, so I do a rattie at a time.

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 10:08:01 AM »
I'm thinking a bit of fleece that you can hang up to dry in between steamings, or switch out for dry fleece.
~Rebecca