Author Topic: My boys are getting a Ferret Nation...  (Read 372 times)

Offline zoocrew26

• Posts Too Much!
My boys are getting a Ferret Nation...
« on: December 31, 2007, 06:12:36 PM »
I have to switch my rats into my chinchilla cage, and vice versa. I bought my chinchilla a FN about 1 month ago, and my rats got her old cage. But since i'm having problems with my newer rat, Gideon (He is constantly getting into dominance fights with everyone), i think they would all benefit from the extra space of a FN (unfortunately my chinchilla is getting the bad end of the deal, being stuck back into her smaller cage, but she free-ranges for at least 7-8 hours a day, so she should be okay with it). And actually, this is my only option, being that the fights are making all my boys neurotic, and they occasionally get vicious.

Soooo.....are there any modifications that i am going to need to make? I'm planning on buying (or making) a pan that i can have litter in, because i really don't think my boys will give in to the injustice of being potty-trained lol.
They're all between 6 and 10 months of age. (Except for my 2 newest boys, who are going to be separated anyways until they are at least 5 months old.)
Will the bar spacing be okay, being that they are older boys?
Do you think that my 8 boys will fit in there comfortably?
Any advice?
22 rats (Jack, Oreo, Shyloh, Tucker, Remy, Gideon, Tristan, Cody, Payton, Ryder, Ryley, Creasy-bear, Diva, Darrah, ThumbeLena, Lyla, Chaila, Nadia, Scampers, Scoundrel, Brayden, and Lyric),  3 guinea pigs, a hamster, a chinchilla, a bearded dragon, 2 fish, a toad, a dog, 3 cats, and 10 hermit crabs.

Offline anita1216

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Hanging out with the Fraggle Rat gang...
    • Fraggle Rats
Re: My boys are getting a Ferret Nation...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:00:46 PM »
Short of your boys being on the petite side, they should be fine in the FN. It is a FN 141 or 142? I keep 8 males in the FN 142 and they have plenty of room to roam and get away from one another. I know that according to some calculators, the single FN will hold 6 rats. I like to give my boys as much space as possible, so IMO more than 4/5 would be pushing it in the single level. I suppose it can be done if there are enough hammies and places for them to get away from one another in. :)

Offline BLM

• Posts Too Much!
  • Lose your dreams, lose your mind.
Re: My boys are getting a Ferret Nation...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »
There's really not a problem without the deep pans to put bedding in. Both my boys and girls tend to go tinkle in their litter pans, and if they decide not to always make it in the litter pan to poo, you just pick them up and put them in. How often do you plan on cleaning the cage? If you change the towels/fleece every 2 days or so, there's no problem. I know that is too much for some people, but I prefer towels and fleece over bedding paws down!  :BlueDumboSmileTongue: