Author Topic: 1-yr old cat, bathroom issues? strange behavior  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Savage4883

• Posts Too Much!
  • I live in a giant bucket.
1-yr old cat, bathroom issues? strange behavior
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »
Hello,

my oldest cat, Annabelle (17 months) has been exhibiting strange behaviors recently, and I want to get feedback on whether I should be concerned.

A few nights ago we noticed her "scratching" at the kitchen floor, using the same motions she would use if she were preparing to eliminate, or if she were burying her excrements in litter. It looks as if she were trying to dig. We have only seen this happen in the kitchen right next to her food dish. And we only see it happen at meal time (they are fed morning and evening). My first concern was that she was not using the litter box, or that she had an infection that was preventing her from going. So, I asked hubby to keep an eye on her the following day. He reported that all three cats passed solid stool, but he doesn't know about urination.
There have been no accidents, although we do find residual poop-smudges on the floor from time to time, but we attributed that to our partially-handicapped kitten.

We are going to mention this to our vet when we have our youngest neutered this month, but I figured I would post here and see whether anyone had any insight.
I might just be an over-protective mom, and she might just be a freak.  :hyper:

Jenn and the crew: Annabelle, Zoey & Tommy Von Scratch

RIP: Orion, Rascal, Catfood

Offline E!!

• Posts Too Much!
Re: 1-yr old cat, bathroom issues? strange behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
Our cat Reggie does this. He will act like he is trying to bury his food, or sometimes if another animal made a mess in the floor he will try to cover that up too. Funny thing is that he doesn't even cover his own poop up when he goes in the litter box.

Offline ratsofatso

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »
She could have just been playing with a thread on the floor or something.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 08:52:31 PM »
My Isis tries to bury both her food and her water...  So far as I can tell, it's not health related.  She's been doing it for years.  I sometimes wonder if it doesn't stem from an instinct.  In the wild, cats bury their food to save it for later.  It could be that it's just hard-wired into some cats, and THEY don't even know why they're doing it.  It's probably nothing to be concerned about, but you can always mention it to your vet on the next visit.  :)

Offline werecatrising

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. One of my cats always tries to bury his food and water. If there is anything even remotely close to the bowl it will soon end up in it.

Offline skyhorse

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:24:31 PM »
My oldest cat has always done this too ... if there is anything within reach she can use to pull down & cover her bowl, it'll be used (teatowels get hung high in my kitchen now). I think it stems from wanting to keep her food to herself, not have one of the others come & eat her food whilst she's sleeping.
If you have multiple cats, this behaviour tends to come up - I agree with Marybelle that it seems to be instinctive.