Author Topic: can rats eat eggs  (Read 900 times)

Offline Brandon16166

can rats eat eggs
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:34:27 AM »
can a rat eat a cooked egg. a couple other thing I would like to know if they can eat are.

Lettuce-I have heard I shouldn't because its mostly water.
meat-like sliced ham or roast beef.
popcorn-I gave her a piece of butter and salt free popcorn and she liked it.
salted pistachios- either in the shell or not.

I want to know if I can feed these to my rat or not. if not, then why? and if I should only feed it to her every once in a while, why.

Offline ratsofatso

Re: can rats eat eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:44:02 AM »
Cooked egg is a good source of protein for every animal, I give it to my rats all the time. I don't think there is anything wrong with lettuce, just don't give it to them every day. Meat is perfectly fine for them, Umm, popcorn you could give them as a treat. I know nothing of pistachios, sorry :-\. I think if you feed them to much lettuce they might get diahhrea.
Hope that helps.

Offline Eva

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »
Our rats enjoy scrambled eggs occasionally and I've read that many like hard boiled too.
 My rats like turkey and chicken but haven't tried lunchmeats and so I can't help with that one...sorry.
Our ratties get a small salad every day consisting of spring mixed greens (no spinach or chard) and a few baby carrots. It's their favorite food and they eat it in minutes!  :BlueDumboSmile: We haven't had any problems with diarrhea but they only get a few leaves each per day.
 I haven't fed pistachios but I don't remember seeing them on any unsafe food lists either.
4 beautiful girl Ratties...Tinkerbell, Trixie, Pip and Squeak
Also mom to 3 human kids, 1 chocolate lab, two kitties, a bunny rabbit and a russian tortoise

Offline Brandon16166

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:49:27 AM »
well thanks. I havnt fed my rat any vegies yet :doh: but I will make her a nice salsd tomarow and maby an egg for brekfast.

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 02:23:02 AM »
While the eggs are good for rats, they are high in protein so they shouldn't be fed too often. (That's what makes them excellent for pregnant females, nursing mothers and very young rats - that are eating solid foods.)
I'd stay away from the processed lunch meats because of all the preservatives.
I've never heard that about lettuce. I believe quite a few people feed some amounts of lettuce with veggies in a mini-salad almost every night. As long as you are giving them a very, very moderate amount with their dinner, I can't see it being "bad" for them. Try serving some with a little bit of olive oil every two weeks or so (is once a week ok?). They will get soooo soft!
Popcorn that is unsalted and without butter seems like it can be fed in moderation.
I'd avoid salted pistachios because I think there's way too much salt in there for them. Maybe someone can shed some light on unsalted, if you could find them.
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • "That teacher with all the weird animals!"
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:49:32 AM »
I agree with italianqt.  I feed some hard boiled egg about once a week.  They love it!  I don't feed regualar lettuce because of the lack of nutrition (I rarely eat it myself).  I also avoid anything with preservatives and salt like processed lunch meats, canned vegetables, and salty nuts.
Deb and the wonderful memories of all the past fur kids I've known and loved.

Offline hidechan

• Arrhephoria:  Wedding Decorators
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 10:31:20 AM »
I give my bubs a hard boiled egg in its shell once every now and again.  My big girls don't like egg much, but the younger ones go NUTS!  They love trying to steal it from each other, so it's just as entertaining for us to watch as it is yummy and fun for them to eat!

I don't give my rats any meat, since they get all the protein and fat they need from other things in their diet, and I'm just not a fan of rodents eating meat to begin with.

I used to give my bubs popcorn as a treat every day when they were just learning that solid food was yummy, but I've switched to multi-grain cheerios and chocolate chex ^_^  I think they like that better, but of course I can't stop them stealing popcorn from my bowl either ^_~

I don't give them salted nuts of any kind; it's way too much salt for them (and us, come to think of it ^_^)
Proud Momma of Flower, Ashes, Lilly, Silver, Coal, Char, Cinder, Silk, Chips, Dip, and Cheese.

Offline chiropteragirl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 12:45:47 PM »
A lot of sandwich meats like ham and bologna have a lot of salt and chemicals like nitrates in them you might want to watch. But other than it's fine. Rats love eggs, and it is a myth that feeding rats meat make them bite you, I have done it many times and my rats have never bitten me. It is important to make sure you cook all the eggs and meat well, though, as meat has all kinds of nasty bacteria in it. Cooked bones are good for wearing down teeth.

It would probably be better if you could get unsalted pistachios. Even then nuts have a lot of fat so you might want to give them only infrequently.

Lettuce is fine as long as it is romaine lettuce or some other kind, just no iceberg lettuce, as it is almost purely water and no nutrition at all.

Look here for a list of forbidden foods for rats:
http://www.petratscanada.com/forbidden_foods.htm
My fat little cyber rattie:
   () ()
>(_)<
   ('' '')
   (   )~~

Offline ShadowKid

• Don't breed and buy! While homeless animals die!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »
can a rat eat a cooked egg. a couple other thing I would like to know if they can eat are.

Lettuce-I have heard I shouldn't because its mostly water.
meat-like sliced ham or roast beef.
popcorn-I gave her a piece of butter and salt free popcorn and she liked it.
salted pistachios- either in the shell or not.

I want to know if I can feed these to my rat or not. if not, then why? and if I should only feed it to her every once in a while, why.

you can give meat as a treat but not too often. once every couple of weeks is good.
egg is good mine love boiled/scrambled egg, they prefer boiled though i also think its better for them to eat.
popcorn - i give my rats it when i make myself some (when watching a film/movie..) this isn't often, once or twice a month, i suppose.
salted pistachios i wouldn't , but i don't think it could do much - sorry any - harm. though again i don't know. just no sneaking her chocolate :cheeky:
other advice you can give her apple, broccoli raw or cooked, pasta raw or cooked, banana, sultanas, raisins, much more though not too many greens because, as you might know too much can run to a runny butt.
anyway did you ever get her a friend or is she going solo?
-Olive xxxxxxx
Ratties: Dopey, Sneezy, Happy, Doc, Bashful, Grumpy, Sleepy, Wish, Hope, Shadow, Domino, Faith, Magic, Rose, Kira, Minimew, Flower, & 16 babies!
Dogs: Two German Shepards Norman And Buddy!
Two Birds: Betty Boop and Imogen!
~ R.I.P Dad, died: 15/12/06 ~

Offline Brandon16166

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »

MY dad thinks it will be More work. but I don't think it will Be much more. and she looks so lonely :BlueDumboBigEyes:. But I will talk him into another one soon :cheeky:

Offline Marshon Bunny

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:10:52 PM »
So, if you give your ratts a boiled egg, do you have to be careful about the shell?(wouldn't want em choking on it or somthing?)

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
No, it's fine to give it them shell and all. I think it's a source of calcium too.

Offline ShadowKid

• Don't breed and buy! While homeless animals die!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »

MY dad thinks it will be More work. but I don't think it will Be much more. and she looks so lonely :BlueDumboBigEyes:. But I will talk him into another one soon :cheeky:

It isn't more work. I have 13+ 18babies, right now :BlueDumboSmile:   
If she looks lonely then I would convince him soon!
I recommend you get her two more friends. If you get two, one will die first, and the remaining will get depressed she might stop eating.. eek! :wink5:
-Olive xxxxxxx
Ratties: Dopey, Sneezy, Happy, Doc, Bashful, Grumpy, Sleepy, Wish, Hope, Shadow, Domino, Faith, Magic, Rose, Kira, Minimew, Flower, & 16 babies!
Dogs: Two German Shepards Norman And Buddy!
Two Birds: Betty Boop and Imogen!
~ R.I.P Dad, died: 15/12/06 ~