Author Topic: Look for ferret in marion ohio  (Read 35309 times)

Offline looking2luv

• Ritten
Look for ferret in marion ohio
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:32:55 AM »
I just got engaged and my fiance and me want to get a pet ferret if anyone is giving one away. It would give me somthing to do while my fiance is at work to since im at home almost all the time. we would prefer a fairly cheap or even free ferret that way we can afford food and vet care and other things to spoil it. we would prefer one that has been litter trained and does not bite. We would also prefer a playful ferret that would love running around our house. If any one can help us find our future furry family member PLease EMAIL ME.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Look for ferret in marion ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:55:42 PM »
If you're looking to get ferrets, I suggest more than one.  Ferrets are social animals that get lonely by themselves even with someone around to play with them.  If you're looking for a pet to entertain you, for long periods of time, ferrets may not be for you.  They tend to sleep about 20+ hours a day as adults and then spend the majority of their time "exploring" (translation: getting into stuff, rooting around in the laundry, fishing things out of your drawer and hiding them under the couch, stealing your socks and hiding them...). 

Litter training is hit and miss at best for a ferret.  If you happen to place a litter pan in their favorite pooping spots, then they'll probably use it most of the time.  They aren't cats.  They don't go search out the litter pan.  If the litter pan happens to be where they want to poop, then you're golden, if not, then they poop on the floor.  Even a well trained ferret will probably go somewhere random 1 out of 10 times.

If you aren't looking to spend a good bit of money on a pet, a ferret isn't for you.  You can expect to pay $30-50 a month on food and litter.  Rabies shots are mandatory for ferrets so you need to get it to the vet at least once a year.  They're exotics so you need to find an exotics vet that can see them as well as usually pay more for your visit.  My ferret's last checkup and shots cost about $100.  Ferrets also tend to have expensive health problems.  My ferret had an overnight emergency vet visit that cost $800 out of the blue.  They also love to climb and fall off of things, chew up and eat things that get stuck in their intestines, and they are prone to a number of serious health problems that will kill them if left untreated.   Please research them thoroughly and talk prices with your local exotics vet to make sure you're able to afford your ferret WHEN it gets sick.  You'll also need a big cage and bedding to put in it.  Ferrets need a multilevel cage that's about 2x3 feet on the bottom, with a full level for each ferret.  The double decker Ferret nation is a good cage for ferrets.

As far as finding one, go check Petfinder.  They can hook you up with shelters and rescues that have ferrets in your area.  The adoption fees are usually $50-100, and if you can't afford that, then I don't think ferrets are for you.

Offline thestormysky

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 06:51:14 PM »
Hi,

I don't know how far you are willing to travel but I have just been informed of two ferrets someone is giving away.  I would assume there is a cage and everything is included.  Her kid is severely allergic so they need to go.  I don't have the time for anymore ferrets but if you are interested let me know.

I live in Janesville, WI and the ferrets are from Beloit, WI
Own: 11 ratties, 4 mice, 3 dogs, 22 fish
Farewell to: Skylar, Stormy, Jasmine, Tsypka, and India

Offline choochums

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
There is a shelter located in Cleveland that specializes in mostly ferrets.  Their name is Ferrets Unlimited Animal Shelter and the woman who runs it is super nice.  They have a ton of ferrets there and they actually post on Petfinder.  Not sure on the adoption fees but as was said earlier I definitely recommend two so that they can keep each other busy....speaking from experience, ferrets are very very active and very smart animals, a buddy would help you keep your sanity  ;) 

Offline looking2luv

• Ritten
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »
Yeah thanks we got a ferret then my apartment decided they are to much like dogs and are not allowed......sad thing is we just got two ferrets  :puppy_dog_eyes: :'( the managers are annoying  :poke:......so now Ive got to get them a  new home..... :puppy_dog_eyes: :puppy_dog_eyes: :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline choochums

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:27:07 PM »
Sorry, yeah I went through that when we moved to our second place.  It had just been redone and they were wary of the ferrets destroying the carpets...yet they allowed cats that were not declawed  ???  If you're still looking to have a pet that is very social and interactive and not all that expensive to adopt, rats are a good option.  I don't have them myself but a couple of my friends do and those things are just about on par with a dog as far as how much they interact.  I don't really see why an apartment would not allow them since they are not that large but I would check first.  Good luck!

Offline kendra95

• Ritten
ferret wanted willing to pay 250.00 please reply!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:35:47 PM »
hello,
 my mom's birthday is coming up and she's always wanted a ferret please reply if you can help.
                     kendrafcox@yahoo.com