Author Topic: Lovebird Woes  (Read 14418 times)

Offline KatnRat

Lovebird Woes
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:21:54 PM »
I have a little lovebird, whom I love dearly.

Unfortunately, she has all the classic lovie bad habits.  ::)

First, she hates fingers. She'll step on my arm, no problem (well, when she's in the mood). She steps onto my shoulder when asked, then back down and into her cage as I request. She loves playing games with her bell and ball. If she sees fingers, she bites.

Second, she was never taught to eat healthy food. She would rather starve than eat anything other than seeds.

I've tried all kinds of solutions for both these problems. I've resigned myself to working around the fingerphobia, but I would like her to eat a balanced diet.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try? Or suggestions for good resources?

rats: Kenny, Enrique, Harvey

Offline KellyNZoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moo!
Re: Lovebird Woes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »
Making the pellets fun and the veg. is always a good idea. Will she eat stuff like Lafebers Nutriberries or Avicakes? That's a good start. I put veggies in scrambled egg and all my crew eat that (no matter what is in it). Stay away from fruit, as most prefer dark leafy green veggies and spicy things.

-Hang leafs of lettuce/kale/dandelion greens from toys/the top of her cage so they ARE toys and let her play with them.

-buy "munch balls" and stuff dried chili peppers into them MMM

-make a pellet based seed treat! use pellet crumbs and add them to seeds, use pb/honey/etc and make tiny treat balls out of it.

And finally, the one thing that never fails to get my picky conure to eat ANYTHING: eating it infront of her and acting like she can't have it. She will literally dive bomb my plate to snatch bit and bites.. ofcourse, i WANT her to.. but you don't let her know that. LOL

Offline KatnRat

Re: Lovebird Woes
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:13:04 PM »
Hmmm... I haven't tried putting the good stuff in eggs yet. I'll give that a try! Thanks for all your ideas!

rats: Kenny, Enrique, Harvey