Author Topic: falling over??  (Read 3911 times)

Offline lolipop1992

• Ritten
falling over??
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »
my around 5 month old bunny has done something that i don't think of as normal. but then again i've never had an indoor bunny and watched them all the time.
the "problem" is that when she is just siting somewhere she'll flop onto her side with her hind legs completely out from under her. example: i was sitting on the floor on the computer next to her cage and she is eating with her front paws in her food(she always does this) and then all of a sudden plop, she's on her side. it scares the junk out of me cause when my last bunny past away(he lived outside) i found him in the position but with his head down. Her head was up of course.
she is a lion-head/lop....
question is, does your rabbit do this??
i've never watched a rabbit like this or been able to "observe" their actions or how they do what they do. I've had 2 previous rabbits, both lived outside, the only time i watched what they were doing was when i went out to give them food and water and when i brought them inside to have some 'free time'. so i never watched them like i watch loly(my 5 month-ish old.=]
what do you think? is this normal?

also what kind of litter/bedding can i use as litter that is safe for my baby girl to eat that isn't too expensive? she likes to nibble on and eat anything that she thinks is safe i guess.

sorry this is so long.
i appreciate all the advice and help.

Offline rufuscharlie

Re: falling over??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »
I have not seen any of our pet rabbits do this. You should have her vet checked. Maybe she has a ear infection. As far as litter we use Aspen Pellets. They do not eat it and it does help keep odors away. Good luck with your baby. Keep us posted.

Sandi

Offline lolipop1992

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:02:41 PM »
i don't think it is an ear infection cause she hasn't been shaking her ears or anything else that would indicate an ear infection. She was shaking her ears a little bit before but it wasn't enough for me to do anything about it, and she stopped. I'll just keep an eye on her and if it continues for a while longer or she does something else that i don't think is normal i'll do something. I think she's just a lazy bum and didn't feel like taking her time to lay down right after she ate. =]

but i'm going to keep a close eye on her.

i'll try that litter when i get a chance to go to a store that sells it. I live 30 min from walmart and an hour from any petsmart or petco.
Thanks!

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:19:42 AM »
It is not normal for a rabbit to go on its side. My rabbit snickers use to that, it was partly an ear infection/ ear wax. But she had a condition, i forget what it was called because i was younger, but it caused her to become very sick she got Very skinny and would go onto her side and couldn't get up, I would get her to the , it can happen really fast and without warning. Rabbits will not show any signs of illness, its a nature thing because in the wild any sign of being sick and your killed but a bigger animal so they so almost No sign of being ill in till it is too late.

Get her checked out.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.