Author Topic: head tilt?? =/  (Read 5925 times)

Offline lolipop1992

• Ritten
head tilt?? =/
« on: January 11, 2008, 02:10:44 PM »
have any of you had a bunny with head tilt? if so how did it begin? like the verryyy first signs of it.
please answer. i dont know if i'm just being paranoid or not. My bunny is just shaking her head a little bit and grinding her teeth quite a lot, even when shes just laying there. i don't know. I might just be over reacting. But we don't have a rabbit vet anywhere around here. so i don't know what i would do if she did have head tilt.
please help me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:32:12 PM by lolipop1992 »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: head tilt?? =/
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »
It's possible she might have the beginnings of an ear infection.  Even a cat or dog vet should be able to diagnose and treat an ear infection in a bunny, as they're going to be basically similar.  The only difference is that a bunny can cause serious damage to their ears, by virtue of them being so long, if they do too much head shaking.  Will the bunny let you sniff her ears?  If so, see if they smell funny.  That's usually one of the early signs of an ear infection, along with the shaking.  An ear infection left untreated can migrate to the inner ear, and that's what you get the head tilt, usually.  We see it a lot in rats, as they're more prone to inner ear infections than outer ear infections.

Offline lolipop1992

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
yeah, she lets me sniff her ears and they don't smell weird or different. but i'll watch her. my other post about her "falling over" i don't think that is dangerous. i think she was just laying down and kind of plopped. what do you think?
or what about ear mites? its mainly her left ear. but sometimes she'll scratch her other one. what do ya think??
thanks for the advice/help
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:31:42 PM by lolipop1992 »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »
If it were ear mites, you'd know.  She'd have coffee ground looking things in her ears.  Keep an eye on her, and just make sure that it doesn't get any worse.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 01:52:57 AM »
You need to get your rabbit to a vet ASAP, do not waste time. Teeth grinding in rabbits is a sign that the rabbit is in pain. "Waiting it out" will only cause your bunny more harm, even death.

Where are you located? I may be able to help you find a rabbit vet.

For a popular rabbit forum that can help you out 100%, join www.rabbitsonline.net

Offline lolipop1992

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »
yeah, but it wasn't a load tooth grind as if in pain, it was just quiet while she was sitting there.my bunny who pasted away used to do it when i was petting him and he'd fall asleep and become relaxed. i just thought it weird because she was just sitting there. i know that when its load and crunchy sounding then there in pain, and i would be able to tell cause her eyes would be real big and she just wouldn't look comfortable. there are 2 different kind of teeth grinding, and i know the difference. So i'll watch her. so far today she's fine. I'm keeping a close watch on her though.
and i figured out that the vet that we take the dog we are raising for The Seeing Eye had a vet in their office that takes care of small animals and pocket pets. so if anything drastic were to happen i could take her there.
Thanks.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
There are "tooth purrs", when your rabbit is happy and relaxed....and then there is "tooth grinding", when your rabbit is in pain.

I still suggest getting her into the vet for a check up, anyway. Rabbits, like rats, go downhill extremely fast and it is cruel to keep your rabbit in discomfort when she is obviously showing signs.

Offline ~Lin

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:27:27 AM »
If you haven't gone to a vet yet, GO. Wry neck (a head tilt) is NOT something to mess around with in rabbits. Heres a page on it, you can find a lot more googling wry neck in rabbits http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=18&cat=1803&articleid=2371

Offline rufuscharlie

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
Please take her to a vet. Call your local humane society or house rabbit society to see if they know of any good vets. At the very least take her to your local vet. He should be able to look at her ears to see if she needs antibiotics. Keep us updated.

Sandi