Author Topic: need some help  (Read 4303 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
need some help
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
 Two days ago a guy came in and said he didn't want his rabbit anymore. I have seen too many rabbits just get " dropped" I had the room and i talked to the adoptions program in Petsmart to make sure it was okay that i bring the rabbit to be rehomed. I got the cage and everything. Its a Dutch for sure, he had i think a her for 4 months.I think its female because it has nipples.. and i didn't feel anything but im not sure. Anyway, you would be sick if you saw the nails on her.. it made me sick, they were at least a 6in from the paw..sick.. The problem i am having is how i should go about adoption. I am fostering her as long as i need to. How much should i charge? Should it be with the cage and everything i bought for her?? Im not quite sure about how to do it. The shelter that we work with at petsmart takes rabbits but they never find homes so that is why im taking it in my own hands.. i just need to know what i should be asking and what to look for? Can someone please help?? I have my own 10 year old dutch. I always wanted to foster and i want to get it off to a good start and show everyone that i could foster and wouldn't keep every rabbit or rat i see.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline emma jean

Re: need some help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »
   Well I would say, if you really don't want to keep her with yours, I would post her on here and possibly on Petfinder.com.  Be very cautious  about the people that you talk to, unfortunately there are people that are only looking for critters to feed to their snakes or to use for other bad things.  Because of that you could charge a small adoption fee but make sure you are up front with the way she was found.  Also meet with the people and try to talk to them as much as possible.  If you get in-contact with them through an online source I would read what they write very carefully because some people can lie very well.  I've also discovered that if the person doesn't care what their  spelling and grammar when they are typing to you, they may not care about much else. (this is not every time)  I'm not trying to say all this to scare you but I also do some private rescue work and you would not believe some of the people that I have come into contact with. 
   If you know a cool vet that would help you with the cost I would also get her checked out just to make sure she wouldn't have anything that could transfer to your other rabbit or other critters in general, I've also had that happen.  Also be slow with the veggies since it doesn't sound like she may have ever had any. 
   I'll try to think of any other things to help throughout the night but good luck and I hope you find her a good forever home.

Emma Jean

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:47:53 PM »
im sadly use to having to drill people when it comes to animals. I work at a petsmart and we don't sell feeders but that doesn't mean people don't lie. So i am going to ask for there vet, fill out an aplication, pay a fee i think will be 45 ( thats how much i have spent on her) and if they wanted the cage and everything i would have it at 75? I paid 35 for my rabbit at a breeder. I talked to my vet and they said they normally have a 75 fee. Does that sound okay? its a 6 mont old dutch.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline okiron

• Rabbits Online
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
try joining rabbitsonline.net

i'm sure we could find someone close to you who would love to take a bun and if not, we could help you with anything regarding her.

Offline emma jean

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »
If you do $75 with out a cage that may be a little steep for a rescue rabbit since you don't know if she is a pure dutch.  If anything I would charge for the vet bill and a bag of food or something but you don't necessarily want to make it too high since you want someone to adopt her.  On the other hand you want to make sure the person thats going to take her would have the money to care for her so I don't know.  Most of the ones I have are actually free to a good home but I have to make sure the person will be a really good home but also most of the ones I've been are adopting out were small animals.  I guess that since you can get a rabbit from most humane societies are around that or cheaper plus they are fixed..... an unaltered bun with an unknown back round.... I don't know.  I really hope you just find a good home for her.  I will keep my ears open for you. 

Emma Jean

Offline okiron

• Rabbits Online
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »
Emma Jean - The only thing I don't agree with the whole, "if you can't afford the bun, how are you gonna afford things for them" thing is...I could use a credit card on the things for them, most private citizens and even breeders don't take credit cards. I could afford $1k in hospital expenses for my rat, doesn't mean I could go ahead and afford to pay $1k to someone.

Offline emma jean

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »
Sorry.  I don't think of credit cards since my family doesn't use them.  That is true though that you can put that stuff on credit cards so I guess thats another reason to leave the price as low as you can but talk to the person as much as possible to make sure they are good people.  I hope I didn't offend anyone. 

Emma Jean