Author Topic: why me :(  (Read 7131 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
why me :(
« on: January 18, 2008, 05:52:23 AM »
soo those who do not know i took in a dutch rabbit when her owner just didn't want her anymore. Well i thought her nails were a problem now she for sure has ring worm, i work in a pet store i see ring worm on G.pigs all the time and have learn how to spot it a mile away. She has ringworm, she gave it to me. Her nipples are very i could say "big" or known will on my spayed female you couldn't feel them at all which could mean she has had babies or may be having babies.. what did i get myself into.. I don't know what to do now. Of course she needs to see a vet but my vet wouldn't be able to see her for at least a month and she needs a vet now but there are only 2 vets in my area that i know of that will look at rabbits, one is mine the other is hours away..
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline emma jean

Re: why me :(
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »
OMgoodness!  :shocked2: You get the critters like I do.  Ok, where do you live, someone may be able to suggest a good vet for you.  Also your vet really can't squeeze you in?  Mine even does that for me especially when its an emergency.  I would also ask about an adoption discount.  Thats another thing that my vet helps me, and anyone else, out with by not charging the office call for adopted pets.  I bid you good luck.  Keep us updated.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »
I'm sorry that you're trying to do a good thing and it's turning out so stressful! You said there are only two vets in the area "that [you] know of" who treat rabbits -- I'd start calling through the phone book/Internet directory listings. You're near Gurnee/Grayslake? I just can't imagine that there are so few vets that see exotics there. If you haven't yet, I'd definitely check for vets in Waukegan, Wadsworth, Mundelein, Libertyville (smaller towns that are pricey are often a good place to find vets), or even N. Chicago. At least none of those are hours away!

I did a quick search for area vets -- perhaps this is the one you go to but Best Friends in Grayslake had a good review from a rabbit owner. There were at least two vets in Libertyville who listed exotics. I'd keep searching but I've got to get ready for work. ;) Just trying plugging in "(Town), IL vet" -- I get lots of descriptive responses with every city I try.

Offline okiron

• Rabbits Online
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:12:50 PM »
Rabbits Online has a list of rabbit friendly vets on the forums, you should check it out. The site is a lot more helpful than trying to rehome her. Most of the members are breeders or vet techs who could help you with all sorts of things.

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »
If you really can't go to the vet:

I treat ringworm with liquid Lotrimin without going to the vet, since that's what the vet told me to do before.   So if you are sure it's ringworm...........

Use disposable gloves to apply it and rub it in well, so she doesn't consume  much if she licks it.   

Can you feel any fetuses in her abdomen?   

Maybe a local shelter has a spay/neuter clinic and you can get her in pronto.   Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, onw of our local sheltera spays for $40.00.

Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
I talked to a vet that i work with at work and i got meds for her without having to see her. She knows me, i have a had 2 rabbits live 10 years so i must be doing something right. I have meds but getting her spayed is going to be to be hard, it is normally 130 at least that is what i paid to mine done.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline vintagerat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:15:09 AM »
getting her spayed is going to be to be hard, it is normally 130 at least that is what i paid to mine done.

Hard or not, in NEEDS to be done, as soon as possible. Too many female rabbits are left unspayed, resulting in uterian cancer and unnecessary hormones because people "can't" afford it.

Rescues and money goes hand-in-hand. If you don't have the money for the vet bills, maybe taking in animals is not the best idea.