Author Topic: Recipes for Rabbit Treats  (Read 3444 times)

Offline wallkkrw

• Ritten
Recipes for Rabbit Treats
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:27:08 AM »
One of our projects for 4-h is a demostration.  We were wanting to do homemade rabbit treats.  Does anyone have any recipes that they would share?  We would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
Re: Recipes for Rabbit Treats
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:24:34 AM »
Here's a recipe from rabbit.org.

They also have lots of feeding tips, in case you are looking for info to use during your demonstration.

http://www.rabbit.org/fun/biscuts.html

I would see if they would come out okay without the honey.

Sweet potatoes or yams make a good base for treats.

Scrub well, prick with fork a bit so they won't explode, and microwave to desired softness.  If you leave them a bit firm, you can slice them into rounds, maybe a half inch to 3/4 inch thick.   Take a small cookie cutter (maybe you can find a rabbit-shaped one around Easter) and cut out cookie shapes.   If you find a bunny cookie cutter you can decorate with raisin eyes and maybe a Cheerio, parsley or something else for a tail.

I always peel and wash the yams first and try to get organic ones if possible.  The large ones would work best because you want a larger surface area to cookie-cut.  Last time I was at Costco they had a box of really nice ones.

You can also cook them longer until the insides are really soft.  Then you can mash the insides and form them into balls.   If you need more moisture, you can add water or apple sauce.  I generally don't feed many grains to my buns, but I suppose you could roll those in millet or oats.  Or minced parsley or pulverized hay.  Or snip off mini parsley sprigs and insert into the sweet potato balls.  Sorta like chia pets.  Or you could shape the potato mash into a vase or pot shape and "plant" a parsley or cilantro sprig into it.  So it would look like a potted plant.

You could also put a small piece of banana inside the mashed sweet potato balls.  If you want them to last longer, use dried banana chips or a raisin. 

You can also make little sandwiches out of carrot slices with sweet potato or banana inside.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 04:45:50 PM by Rose »
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome