Author Topic: Stressed Rabbit - Slowed Eating/Drinking  (Read 6464 times)

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
Stressed Rabbit - Slowed Eating/Drinking
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Hi there.  I'm currently at work and one of my coworkers is having issues with her pet rabbit.  She took her girl Sam to the vet last week due to swelling around her eyes and found out that she had an infection and glucoma and is now almost blind.  They put her on a course of eye drops to try and reverse and/or at least stop the damage from progressing.  She's been using the drops and she now says as of yesterday her bunny is getting a little stressed and has slowed down her drinking and eating a lot.  I recommended that she get pedialyte to keep the electrolytes up and would normally recommend pediasure for an animal that's not eating, but I wanted to make sure that it would be the right course for a rabbit.  I volunteer at a wildlife rehab and for the wild rabbits, we normally tube feed babyfood and pedialyte if they're not eating/drinking, but I just can't remember if we've ever used pediasure.  I'm definitely not a rabbit expert, though, so I thought I'd ask others first before recommending things to my friend. 

Thanks!
Melissa
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Stressed Rabbit - Slowed Eating/Drinking
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
Slowing eating and drinking can be potentially fatal to a rabbit.  She should definitely at least call her vet, and at least talk to a tech, not just the receptionist, and explain that all this is happening due to stress, and see what they recommend.  He may need a visit, but they may wish to avoid that so as not to make the issue worse. 

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:58:19 PM »
Doesn't Pedialyte have sugar in it?  Not sure that would be good for bun.

When my rabbit had dehydration, they gave me a bag of fluid with a needle so I could give her subcutaneous fluids.  Took a bit of will power on my part, but bunny was fine with it.

Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline ZooKeeper83

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Meep
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »
Well, my coworker left the office yesterday early before I was able to give her any more info, but we did agree before she left that she should get back in touch with her vet.

As for the sugar in the Pedialyte, I know at the rehab we use the unflavored variety for any animals that come in with mild dehydration.  I'm honestly not sure exactly how much sugar is in that variety, but I've never thought to question it.  I was given the impression that a small amount was good when trying to rehydrate, just larger amounts were bad.  She does have a supply of SubQ fluids on hand for anything more serious, though. 
Owned by: Dopey the basset; Lacey the border mix, Stinky, Lila and Happy the kittehs; Diesel the ball python; Rosie the dumeril's boa; Chili the children's python; Angus the bearded; Petri the leopard gecko; Addy the crested gecko