Author Topic: 19yr old male  (Read 1341 times)

Offline pepperannie

19yr old male
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
This morning was not a good one.  First, the dog got into the trash can during the night and had coffee grounds all over the kitchen floor plus she took it into the living room and had the grounds on the love seat.  During this clean up, my 19yr. old male was meowing and waiting for his breakfast when all of a sudden he started URINATING ON THE FLOOR in front of the cupboard and dishwasher.  It was unbelievable!  Talk about a huge puddle and he did not even squat.  He was more standing upright with a bit of a hunch.  The other male cat (4yrs)saw this and started the howling meows and fluffed all his fur up like he was yelling at the old cat.  I don't understand the old cats actions.  I had him to the vet about 2 months ago for his annual check up and blood work.  His results were good for a 19 yr. old.  Any ideas?  The vet mentioned once his kidneys start going it will be fast.  He does drink alot and loves to eat but the sugar levels were good. 
Proud to be have been loved by my rats.... RIP...Turtleneck, Pepperannie, Steveo, Jack, Gwennie and Stephanie! I love you all so much!  Also loved by Bootsie, Elvis and Katie!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: 19yr old male
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:40:03 PM »
Your best bet is to get a sample of his urine to the vet so they can test it.  And a blood test for kidney values.

As for the other cat meowing, it may just be that the urine smelled funny to him, so he was trying to figure out what was going on...

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
His bloodsugars were good when?  I'd have him checked for diabetes.

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
Go back to the vet- 2 months for an old cat is like years for a younger one, at the speed that their systems can deteriorate at that age.

If everything checks out physically, he may be developing dementia. Some older animals become incontinent or just forget they need to urinate in a particular location.
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!