Author Topic: The Cage Has Got to Go-The Cage is Here! The Cage is Here! 3/14  (Read 2781 times)

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
The Cage Has Got to Go-The Cage is Here! The Cage is Here! 3/14
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:47:21 PM »
Alright. Imagine this...

Getting ready to leave, glancing at the rat cage and noticing something is not right. You count all the girls. 1...2...and then the third one pops her head out from under the blanket.

The entire side of her face is covered in blood. Some dry, some fresh.

This is a picture I took [once calm]. This is your WARNING. The picture is EXTREMELY nasty. Look at your OWN risk.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/sheanessness/Ratty%20Girls/0227.jpg

I immediately freaked out. I didn't get a good look at first, I just opened the cage, pulled Ginny out, wrapped her in a fleece blanket and ran to my dad. Crying and freaking out. I thought for sure she had lost her eye.

After my dad looked at it he said she just had a scratch on her nose that looks like it goes from her eye to her nose. He instructs me, since I'm all freaked out, to isolate her to her own cage, give her some antibiotics and some pain reliever. So I did all that. And she seems to be doing good. Her eye is a little swolen, but it doesn't look like there are any scratches in or around the eye, however there is a nice scratch on her nose.

So now I feel TERRIBLE. I feel like it's all my fault. I should have never bought the stupid cage. As that is how she got her, scratching herself on the wire mesh I put on the cage to prevent them from getting out. First it was Snuffles getting out and being killed, then Luna got out and was exploring the critter room, and now Ginny nearly takes out an eye. And I feel like it's all my fault because I decided to get a cage with big bar spacing. Ugh.

I am now looking for another cage. It would have to be big enough for four rats and with the right bar spacing. Any suggestions?

Poor Ginny. :[

This is their current cage.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:23:30 PM by sheaandpets »

Pets name:Maggie

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
Re: The Cage Has Got to Go
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:53:37 PM »
Poor Ginny! I hope she heals up easily!

I just found this cage on ebay. Cage calc says 5 rats, and it has 5/8" bar spacing. Looks pretty nice, although you'd need to be creative to add levels. :)

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:32:13 PM »
Are you sure she didn't get into a scuffle with the other girls?

Proud Mom to 
Corbin,Zac,Lucas,Noah and Liam
miss you Melka and Brady..

Offline KoalaLou2

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pure love... adopt a PEW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »
I think that if you're truly concerned about bar spacing and a cage that is going to last, you need to invest in a Martins.  Post on the Swap Meet here, now is a great time for Martins as people have been getting FNs and selling off their Martins cages.
Adoring slave to three rats (Edward, Templeton, and Theodore) and three dogs (Holly and Mia the Greyhounds, Cadie the Brittany)

Angels waiting at the bridge.... Wendi, Josie, Petrie, Minski, Teebs, Dribbles, Milo, and Mr Smuckers, who took my heart with him.  Always remembered, always loved

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:20:14 PM »
I'm so sorry :(
I got the Fiesty Ferret and I was concerned about the spacing but none of my girls can fit their heads even halfway through the bars, even at 2 mo old.
It's a bit expensive, mine was $160.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Martins.

PS: I have like the exact same plastic bins in the photo! They fit right into the bottom of the FF cage :)
-Jesi

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »
Poor girl :(.

I also second a Martins. I have a martins ruud, and have never had any bad experiences with the girls getting injured in it.
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline Jenn_85

• Posts Too Much!
  • Sweepy Ratties!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:48:35 PM »
 :shocked2:  Poor girl!  I would have freaked out too.  I'm glad it was just a scratch though.  I hope you find a new cage soon.

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 12:49:49 AM »
Are you sure she didn't get into a scuffle with the other girls?

I'm almost positive it wasn't the other girls. There are no scratches anywhere on her body, other than the one on her face. I inspected the cage and can't find any blood other than on the fleece blanket I found them cuddling under.

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 12:58:44 AM »
Alright. I'll check out Martins cages, seeing as most have suggested them.

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 01:23:52 AM »
I'm sorry about your girl. *hugs*

For the time being you really, really, really need to do a check over on the cage and make sure all sharp points are filed down with a nail file or sandpaper or something similar.
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 01:26:44 AM »
I'm sorry about your girl. *hugs*

For the time being you really, really, really need to do a check over on the cage and make sure all sharp points are filed down with a nail file or sandpaper or something similar.

Definately. I've done my best to file down all the sharp edges, and inspected the cage for any other things that could have caused it.

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 01:50:33 AM »
Oh good. Isn't the SP Exotics big enough for 4?
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.

Offline ScoutGotBig

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 08:19:44 AM »
Actually, living with two hairless and seeing the damage they do in PLAY...

Looks like there was just a scuffle between the girls and she lost.

Bar spacing - SP Exotics can hold 4 rats I think.  Feisty Ferret has nice bar spacing also I think.
click the eggs please!

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
Actually, living with two hairless and seeing the damage they do in PLAY...

Looks like there was just a scuffle between the girls and she lost.

Bar spacing - SP Exotics can hold 4 rats I think.  Feisty Ferret has nice bar spacing also I think.

Well the girls have gotten in scuffles before and there were always scratches all over the nekked girls. There are now no scratches at all on her or her sister. So I really don't think it was with another rat.

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
I have decided on a cage. I'm 99.9% positive this is the one I'm getting. Ginny's godmother, an online friend of mine, is sending 60$ to go towards a new cage. It seems perfect to me. Just with a little bit of modification of the feeder doors it looks like it'll be perfect. And it can fit between 8-9 rats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bird-Ferret-Sugar-Glider-Chinchilla-Flight-Cage-cages_W0QQitemZ280196075735QQihZ018QQcategoryZ116396QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 07:31:12 PM »
The exotic cage is a good cage, perfect bar spacing and very much worth the 90 and i know some have found it online for around 75.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
I have decided on a cage. I'm 99.9% positive this is the one I'm getting. Ginny's godmother, an online friend of mine, is sending 60$ to go towards a new cage. It seems perfect to me. Just with a little bit of modification of the feeder doors it looks like it'll be perfect. And it can fit between 8-9 rats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bird-Ferret-Sugar-Glider-Chinchilla-Flight-Cage-cages_W0QQitemZ280196075735QQihZ018QQcategoryZ116396QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Wow, how are they shipping it? It's over $100 for shipping!

You could get a Fiesty Ferret at the store for $160 and it's pretty similar.
-Jesi

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
I am so sorry your rats have been hurt by this cage! I agree- this cage has got to go!  Donate it to a ferret rescue or something, they will really appreciate it (once that wire is off of course).

That is a nice cage ( I LOVE the color!), but the shipping is outrageous! It probably balances out because the actual cost of the cage is so cheap. I like this cage: http://www.birdcagesgalore.com/bird_cages_013.htm (first cage on page). But I tend to like the longer cages with more floor space.  And shipping is free!  :BlueDumboSmile: LOL
~Julie

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 11:16:49 PM »
Wow, how are they shipping it? It's over $100 for shipping!

You could get a Fiesty Ferret at the store for $160 and it's pretty similar.

Shipping to me is $70.
What is the bar spacing on a Fiesty Ferret? Isn't it bigger than 1/2"?

Offline jesirose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Me & Felix
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »
Ah, I guess it's based on zip code.

I believe the box said 7/8". but my measuring tape shows the actual space between two bars to be 3/4. The tops and bottoms are more like 1/4 or 1/3.
-Jesi

Offline pinkie1205

• Posts Too Much!
  • Jack says you don't need thumbs.
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 04:09:44 AM »
I price matched my FN at petsmart and got it for $140 (or whatever the price is online for them)

They had FF too so maybe you can price match something?  Good Luck
It's all just bricks in the wall

Offline Squeeky

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
Looks like a great cage.
Hope it is powder coated and easy to clean.

Personally, I prefer powder coated martins cages (www.martinscages.com) as they are good for ratties of all ages and sizes ... with the extra large doors and pull out tray, cleaning isn`t too difficult.   (features may need to be requested).
A R695 martins is good for 5 ratties and the RUDD will hold 9.

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
Here is a picture of Ginny last night.  :)
A lot better.
Oh and by any chance does anyone know who makes the Ebay cage?

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 10:50:10 PM »
I'm glad she's healing well!!

I think the seller manufactures that cage. :)

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
Re: The Cage Has Got to Go-Updated 03/08
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 12:55:44 AM »
The cage is on its way. We ordered it last night, and I'm extremely excited for it to come.
Now I just have to get the sewing machine working...,  ::)

Offline ..Shea..

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love a Rat
Re: The Cage Has Got to Go-The Cage is Here! The Cage is Here! 3/14
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 12:26:21 PM »
Heehee!
The cage is here.
We got it all put together last night. Boy was that a pain in the rear. The directions they gave were terrible. It was just a picture with arrows, and not a big picture, a tiny picture. There were three different types of screws, knuts, and washers that we had to figure out where they went. Amazingly we got it all finished. ;D

Here is the cage. And the girls enjoying their cage. Look at Ginny's nose! Isn't it amazing? There is nothing there.
I still have a lot of decorating to do, so the cage is extremely empty.

Offline Jenn_85

• Posts Too Much!
  • Sweepy Ratties!
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 04:04:48 PM »
Wow, it's big!  I bet your girls are having a ball!  Ginny's nose looks great too!  :thumbsup2: She's so cute!

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:08 PM »
ooooo.. nice.. Your girls most love that! I can't wait till i get my FN. I hope this cage works out. How do you like it?
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline xanterra

• Posts Too Much!
  • Keeper of the Rattigans
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »
 :yelcutelaugh: I love how your cat is warily checking out the cage in the first pic, like "What is this huge shiny monster doing in my house?!"
The boys: Sam and Dean - The girls: Canary, Kara, Phoebe, Piper, and Paige - The rescues: Anna, Tessa, Lilith, Ruby, and Castiel - The bunnies: Java and Juno

Offline Saydrah

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat Tongues Rule
    • Rizzle Rat Rattery
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 12:40:09 AM »
I have a small version of that cage and I love it! I'm even thinking of getting another.
Rizzle Rat Rattery has NEWS! First litter planned for March 2009. See http://www.rizzlerats.com for details, or check the Adoptions forum!

Offline colieCat

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 01:13:22 AM »
let me know how you like the cage. i'm definitely looking into getting a new cage, and i want to get all the feedback on cages i can.
and i'm glad ginny's feeling better.

Pets names: Templeton & Splinter
Adopted by: colie 

Adopt your own!