Author Topic: Just right quick question on wild bunnies  (Read 8347 times)

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
Re: Just right quick question on wild bunnies
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »
Yeah, mammals need water.  Go figure.  Especially because they are not feeding them correctly.  But I don't know about a water bottle; I usually use a small heavy dish.  But then again, I don't try to train them as pets..................

Keep us posted; let's see how this goes..............
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »
They died. I took glory in saying I told you so.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 05:39:29 PM »
Oh.

I am so sorry.  Those poor critters.  And I'll bet they're saying "Oh well, we did our best............."  Ummm, no you didn't!

Times like this, I just don't like people very much....................
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 04:03:53 AM »
I want my water bottle back!  :dark1: :protest: :protest: :protest:
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline baileyjane

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 03:00:42 AM »
Ugh, I just found this thread and it made me feel sick to read it.  Last year I was given 2 baby bunnies because I am the local "kitten rescuer".  Little did I know the heartache I was in for.  I researched all night and was disheartened to learn that less than 1% of wild bunnies can be successfully raised to maturity by humans.  And that even if you get them to the point of eyes opening and hopping around, there is a time when they are transitioning from milk to eating grasses and hays...that they need a certain enzyme from their mother's droppings for proper digestion.  They often die at this stage in being hand reared, much to the horror of their "rescuer".  Did mine die?  Yes they did, and I felt horrible about it, and I learned so much that I didn't know.  So please, like the others said...if you find wild bunnies, leave them be!  They simply can not successfully be raised by most humans, it is cruel to try (unless there is 100% proof the mother is dead; in which case, find a rehabber), it is illegal, and perhaps most importantly, they are wild animals that you can not tame!
**Love my boys!**