Author Topic: Your Opinion, Please. More help needed, another BIG problem!  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
Re: Your Opinion, Please. More help needed, another BIG problem!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »
Sorry if you mentioned this somewhere and I missed it, but are you limiting his water intake? Some young puppies tend to over-drink and their water intake should be limited until they can figure out how to self regulate.

Also Heather has given you some VERY good advice. Don't make a big deal when he steals something or he will only learn to become more defensive. Use only positive training methods and teach drop-it as a game: you are making a trade with  him and he always gets something better in return.  This IS a big issue and needs to be addressed ASAP, but it's not a hard thing to fix especially at this age.
~Julie

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »
While it is rare in males, did your vets consider that he may have an ectopic ureter? His signs don't all fit it, but I can't help but think that there has to be something physically wrong with him with the potty training issue. Some things can't be detected just on a physical or bloodwork/UA alone- may be worth investigating further if he continues to make very little/no improvement.

I know it has kinda been answered- but in my house not all rules apply to all dogs. My epileptic, Asher, can get away with anything. If she approaches another dog's bowl, I expect them to back off and let her have it (they are then rewarded with a seperate treat and/or more food), but they are to respect her food dish (I have to mix her meds in with one meal, and they don't need it!). All my dogs are allowed on the furniture, but they know that if I say off they better beat it quick. This lesson is a bit harder for my brothers dog who lives with us during the week, but she is getting better. Definately use NILIF for everything. And don't worry about him not liking the crate- my puppy doesn't like his either, but knows that when I say to get in or go to bed, that is where he needs to be.

I don't have much new to offer, but you have gotten a lot of good advice- good luck and keep us updated!
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline Rat girl

• Posts Too Much!
  • Have you Kissed your rat today?
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:08 AM »
Yes, his water intake is limited.

Right now we've come to a little bit easier arrangement.  The wheather is nice, so any time that i am cleaning and/or focusing my attention on something else, he goes out in the yard.  He eats and gets water there too, most of the time.  This has helped immensely.  Things have seemed to improve, but not as much as i would like.

My vet is on full alert, and has me keeping a journal.  I take note of when he gets food and water, when he pees outside, and when he has accidents in the house.  This helps me too, just to more easily notice improvement.  The crate issue is still very bad, he doesn't care at all about urinating in there.  Thats become tiresome, but as long as he's improving in some way, i just cross my fingers everyday that maybe he'll decide he doesn't wanna smell like pee.  ::)

And he is definitely a dog that prefers to be outside.  If he's out for more than an hour or so, he will get excited about coming back in, but twenty minutes later he'll try to get out the door if you walk out.  He is very funny to watch when he bounds and bellows outside.   :heart:
To be owned by a rescued animal is to know love.