Author Topic: Kittens Born Days Apart?  (Read 8345 times)

Offline ezzie65

• Ritten
Kittens Born Days Apart?
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:56:11 AM »
First, I foster kittens and volunteer for a no-kill shelter so I know tons about cats but this one stumps me. Second I had a foster cat that gave birth to 2 stillborn kittens in Nov and 2 days later had 4 more stillborns. So from experience I know that cats can give birth up to 2 days apart.

Lilly was found in a box in the freezing cold with 4 six week old kittens and 2 six month old kittens. She had milk so I can only assume the six week olds were hers as they were nursing on her. Also I cannot be sure they were six weeks old, they may be older/younger but my experience tells me I'm pretty close at guessing six weeks. The kittens are now what I guess to be about 8 weeks old. On 3/1/07 Lilly had one kitten which by the time I discovered him he was dead, within 1/2 hour she had another that was alive. He looked kinda small but seemed well formed. Lilly shunned the kitten for the most part. He was cold so I tried warming him with a heating pad, feeding him canned kitten milk, etc but he died the following day ;(  Four days later Lilly is still pregnant, the difference now is that I can "feel" the babies in her moving whereas before she just seemed overstuffed and I couldn't feel any movement of the babies, I think they were too cramped in there. I'm not worried about her due to the fact that she's eating, drinking, using the potty and seems to be feeling fine. I've talked to the lady who runs the shelter, and a friend who is a vet tech and a fosterer for another local shelter who says that she's heard of litters being born over a week apart. What I'm asking is if there is anyone out there who has encountered a similar situation with a cat giving birth to kittens that didn't make it and then later having the rest of the litter alive and well??? Kinda like they need to finish cooking. I'm just thinking the first 2 came out premature because there was no room and nowhere else to go...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:57:50 AM by ezzie65 »

Offline nevadamoon

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Kittens Born Days Apart?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:15:36 AM »
I've read before online it's possible for live kittens to be born days apart, though in those cases you need to have a vet check to make sure no one is stuck.  I think the reason behind it had to do with the cat's phsyiology, and the different 'horns' of the ovaries releasing eggs close together, but not at the same time, or something similar.   I couldn't find the thing I read before on it, though.  :/

Offline ezzie65

• Ritten
Re: Kittens Born Days Apart?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »
I'm happy to announce that Lilly gave birth to 4 healthy babies 10 days after the birth of the first 2. They are currently six days old and thriving and mom is doing well too!