Author Topic: 65 gallon tank for 2 male rats? Help with ventilation issues.  (Read 2117 times)

Offline 123chewyp

I have a 65 gallon tank that was used to house an iguana a long time ago. I am planning on getting two male rats soon. I know tanks tend to have bad ventilation but is there a way to improve the ventilation? Also I have lots of climbing toys,hammocks,big branches from pet stores,braided ropes and bird toys. Is this enough toys for them to solve the lack of opportunities to climb(we also have other toys like hide outs and balls with bells.)? Would an exhaust fan for tanks work to help with the ventilation issue? Cleaning shouldnt be to hard. I am planning to take all the litter and toys out scrub it down with some kind of cleaning product(need suggestions) then hose it down and dry it. I am planning to clean it out once a week. Do you think that this would work out?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 07:28:29 PM by 123chewyp »

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
Re: 65 gallon tank for 2 male rats? Help with ventilation issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »
No matter what you do to/with a tank, it still won't be appropriate housing for rats.  :/
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline 123chewyp

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »
Can you please explain why?

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »
The ventilation issue - it'll always be there, regardless of any amount of fans.  You just can't make tanks correct housing for rats - they're not made to live in them.  For two rats, I would look into the R-695 from Martin's Cages, or if you're willing to splurge a bit, a Ferret Nation.  Both are appropriate for rats.

Offline MiniMuffin

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
Just to add, with shipping costs and the money to have a flip top added, a powdercoated 695 ended up being the same price as an FN for me. I didn't want to have to cover a FN and needed a cage I could actually wash easily, so I went with the 695. I second what Scubbs said though, go with one of those.

Ventilation issues aside, a 65 gallon tank seems really hard to clean well, I wouldn't want to have to lug one around every week.
Owned by: 3 parrots, 1 dog, and 2 rats!

Offline Breakthenight

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
Ive seen people add some levels and a cage area on top of that tank. So tank on bottom, cage on top. Im not sure how well this works, mind, but it might be an interesting home if done correctly for rats. That ebig said,  have no expereince with this, and house my boys in a large ferret cage, and rabbit cage.
Mommy to: Faren and Fionn.
Always loving: McTavish, Gaelan , Eros, Lochlan, Gallagher, Keiran, Rowan, Kenadie, Seanan.

Offline Dori

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Me and my best guy!
    • Safe Haven Humane Society
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:43:33 PM »
Ive seen people add some levels and a cage area on top of that tank. So tank on bottom, cage on top. Im not sure how well this works, mind, but it might be an interesting home if done correctly for rats. That ebig said,  have no expereince with this, and house my boys in a large ferret cage, and rabbit cage.

Even if you put a cage topper on an aquarium it won't be sufficient for rats. There is no way to make an aquarium suitable for rats. Its better to do what is best for your rats and spend the money on a cage so your rats will have a better quality of life.

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 01:40:22 AM »
A Ferret Nation is a bit excessive for just two rats.  The Super Pet Exotics cage is awesome for two rats...and it can actually hold four so you have some room when GGMR strikes :cheeky:
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline LivingPinCushion

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
A Ferret Nation is a bit excessive for just two rats.  The Super Pet Exotics cage is awesome for two rats...and it can actually hold four so you have some room when GGMR strikes :cheeky:

I dont believe so I have two fn 142's and each one only has two rats in it. A single story fn would be perfect for two rats or an r680. But i like to give my rats tons of room.

Anyway nothing will make a tank an acceptable home for rats.
Ratkids- Bowser the Koopa king (WLLW), Iggy Von Koopa(WLLW), Ganondorf (rescue), Keaton (HVRR rescue), Poe (HVRR rescue), Moblin (HVRR rescue), Stalfos (HVRR rescue), Smeagol (rescue), Gollum(rescue), Boo (lab rescue), Lakitu (lab rescue), Bob omb (lab rescue).

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:16:24 AM »

Bigger is always better!  ;)  And d'oh, I always forget about the new SP cage when it comes to recommending cages  :doh:

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
I had a cage/tank combo for my rats for many years and they did fine in it.  they are a PITA to clean though and you do have to make sure and keep tham clean.   I don't think it works well with a small set up (we had an 80 gallon tank with a 695 and a 690 on top)

Offline Yanglicious

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »
A tank is never a good and ideal home for rats.
They are so big, so the ammonia gas would nuild up more than you expected.
Plus it offers no chance for them to climb properly, play, and do stuffs they love.

Offline RattiezMummiez

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »
May i make a smal suggestion ? If you really need to use a tank.

Then put it on its side so the open bit is facing out. Then make a wire front for it. It will help with ventilation and also give some climbing oppuertunity untill you can find a cage.

(Click Phantom !! )

Offline Fleur.Cirocco

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »
That sounds like a good suggestion. ^
Would still work on getting a cage, but that could work in the meantime.
xx
Sophie and the boys; Fergie, Oscar, Roo & Zebedee.

Pets name: Fescoobee
Adopt your own!

Offline Randomrat

• Posts Too Much!
    • Dashing Hamsters
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »
I would just go for the exotics cage. Its not too big or too expensive and perfect for two rats. Tanks are just really no good for rats. :/

Offline hairless_love

• Posts Too Much!
  • Bald is beautiful!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 10:05:11 PM »
Also wanted to suggest....if you're not planning on using the tank again, why not sell it and put that money into your cage buying fund? Eh?  :poke:
Thank you so much for the beautiful sig, RascalRatties!

Offline Willard

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
It's funny how any time anyone needs a cage, no matter the number of rats, you have all these people saying "get a Ferret Nation, it's perfect size".  One section of a ferret nation will hold up to 6 rats.

For 2 male rats, I would recommend the SP Exotics ($100) as already mentioned, or a Martins R680 or R685 (R695 is sort of overkill as well for just 2), or even the new Petco Rat Manor ($80) cage.

With an aquarium you will have respiratory issues, no matter what you do to try to improve it.

Offline Novakain21

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »
I had a 40 gallon tank for my rats... it wasnt glass.... I think it was plexy so I just drilled holes in the sides so that air could go through... then I would put a fan on one side and let it blow through if it werent too cold out... it worked great...

Pets name: (Lars)
Adopted by: (Jon)

Adopt your own!

Offline MiniMuffin

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
I don't think an r695 is overkill for two rats. I have my two boys in one, and can't imagine it having more then three, maybe four. They have lots of room to run and play, and there's space for hammocks and such.
Owned by: 3 parrots, 1 dog, and 2 rats!

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »
The bigger the better!! I have 4 girls in the Martins ruud, and they love the space. (Of course..once my momma rat and her 5 girls are ready..they will be introduced to the other 4 and there will be 10 girls in the ruud..but still, adequate space for all of them. I wouldn't put more than 10 though.
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline ratgirl2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 10:03:24 PM »
I don't believe bigger is always better, I think get what your rats will use!  I had a HUGE cage for my girls, it could hold up to 10 rats or something like that and I only had 6 rats in it.  What did they do?? they were ALWAYS on the top level, what the heck was up with that!! Even when playing they would run around the top level and never any lower.  I would put their food down their just so they would get exercise.  As soon as they were done eating they were back on the top level again.  My boys however will use the whole cage, so in their case bigger is a little better.  I think if an aquarium is all you have then you could probably make it work, there are some people who love having their rats in aquariums, however, with one that big, it would be a pain to constantly clean which you would have to do more frequently because of the lack of ventilation in the aquarium.  I say personally you can never go wrong with a Martin's cage....to me they are the tops!!
[/url]

Offline OldsGal

• Posts Too Much!
  • You Always Widdle On The One You Love
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
Ok I will throw in my 2 cents here.....

First of all is the tank longer than it is tall or is it taller than it is long? 

Many moons ago I used a tank for two rats.  The tank was longer than it was tall and it was huge...I don't know how many gallons.  I used a screen type lid...Not the ones sold in stores but a custom made one that had 1/2 x 1/2 wire.  I never ever had any issues with respritory.  My rats got a lot of out time and I had a lot of climbing stuff in the tank for them.  Now if the tank had been taller than it was long then yes I think we would have had some issues.  So I feel that it depends a lot on the type of tank and the type of lid.  Also we kept our tank in a very well ventilated part of our home.  Also we kept it spotlessly clean which is also key in making a tank successful.  99 times out of 100 a tank is not good for rats.  But there is occassionally that one tank that you can make work if you do it just right.  I don't typically EVER say a tank is ok but I just wanted to chime in.

Also I wanted to agree with Ratgirl2 that bigger is not always better.  Some rats do not feel comfortable with large open spaces.  One of my rescues that I took in way back in the begining was kept in a huge cage.  He would back into a corner on the top shelf of it and not come out.  If you tried to get him out he would take off your finger.  We took him home and put him in a cage that was much smaller and approprate for 2 rats according to cage calc.  He instantly strarted to do a lot better.  The larger cage scared him too much and he didn't feel safe or confident.  After he settled in and was showing signs of being a more confident rat and was letting us hold him and pick him up without removing appendages we got a friend for him and that helped out even more.  But no bigger is not always better.

Staci
Treat everyday like a dog would.  If you can't eat it or chew on it then pee on it and walk away!