Author Topic: 7 week old puppy with heart murmor...questions  (Read 3034 times)

Offline reesesgma

• Posts Too Much!
7 week old puppy with heart murmor...questions
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »
My neighbor bought 2 dachsund puppies from a breeder out of colorado. They are the cutest little things ever. Upon her first vet visit the vet noticed that they have worms. They got this little jar of wormer (liquid) It worked very quickly and the pups are now worm free. The littlest one (ginger) has been sniffling a  lot lately so Martha (my neighbor) took her to the vet this morning. The shots the puppies recieved last week, including the bordetella nose vaccine is the culprit. Sweet Ginger has a cold. The vet also noticed a heart murmor. Martha asked what the heart murmor is, and the vet said somthing about the blood flow going to fast, or too slow through the heart valve? Oh my gosh...This sounds awful. Has anyone had the experience with a doggy? How dangerous is this? Im so concerned for her and her puppies. If anyone has ANY info or personal experiences I would appreciate you sharing. Thank you so much for your time....
Amy in AZ
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared -Buddha

Offline Chaser

• Pet Medical Services
Re: 7 week old puppy with heart murmor...questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
Sometimes murmurs may be serious, and sometimes they may not be. Sometimes puppy murmurs may NEVER be a problem for the dog. If the puppy is acting completely normal, there may not be a lot to be worried about. I would advise your friend to first contact the breeder about it. She should also keep in contact with the vet to make sure it doesn't get any worse. The vet may recommend an ultrasound to see how "bad" it is. But like I said, sometimes they are never really a problem and some murmurs even disappear after a while. :)

Offline Punkygirl0101

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dogs-Cats-Ferrets-Mice-Turtles-Fish
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »
Sounds like they came from a byb!

I have a 12 year old male Dachshund who had a VERY serious heart murmor when he was a puppy. He almost had to have surgery at UC Davis (Which is the only place around here who can do such an extensive surgery on a dog). He started fetching on a daily basis, and it became almost unnoticeable in a couple years.

I recommend your friend walks those dogs on a daily basis, for atleast an hour or two a day, and keep them nice and active and at a healthy weight.

Sometimes they go away on their own, if they are small murmors.

Oh..forgot to mention, Harry (My 12 year old Doxie with the heart murmor), was also put on meds for the first 5 years of his life. So the vet will be able to tell you how bad it is, and if meds are needed.
4 Rats-6 Dogs-3 Ferrets-1 Hamster-2 Box turtles-15 Cats (including fosters)

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:56:20 PM »
A heart murmur is cause by some sort of malfunction of the valves between the chambers and vessels of the heart.  If a valve is not closing properly, is causes blood to wash back or just not flow through as smoothly, causing the "murmur" sound that the vet hears when listening to the heart. There are several different types of murmurs depending on the different valves, but I don't know the specifics.

I'm unsure of the details but there is a type of mild murmur that puppies can be born with but that they grow out of in weeks/months.  My Seeing Eye puppy Landon had a very mild murmur when he was 7 weeks, but by 9 weeks it was completely gone.

Heart murmurs are graded from 1-6. If the pup has higher than grade 1 it is a good idea to have an echocardiogram to determine the precise problem and the prognosis.  Usually though heart murmurs in pups are mild and not much to worry about other than keeping a close eye on the heart as the dog gets older.
~Julie

Offline reesesgma

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:09:16 AM »
thank you so much for your answers! I did a little research online, and saw that sometimes they will grow out of it. I was worried that too much excercise might be bad, but it sounds like it will make her little heart healthier! They are so little and have only had their first set of shots, so she does not take them outside too often. They go back to the vet next week for another checkup and their second set of shots. Thank again for your input!
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared -Buddha

Offline Vibrissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »
I have a friend who has a heart murmur (well, did) and she and the vet were worried about it--I did a lot of research and told her to get and give CoQ10 to her dog --she did--at the next visit, the heart murmur could no longer be heard and detected!  They continue to give the dog (Jack Russel) CoQ10 which is excellent for the heart.