Author Topic: 11 week old boxer, potty issues....  (Read 3189 times)

Offline reesesgma

• Posts Too Much!
11 week old boxer, potty issues....
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:45:47 AM »
We have 3 other dogs, they are inside dogs, but have a doggy door and they come in and out as they please. Sophia (the pup, that I should have named Demonica) quickly learned how to do this as well. She refuses to potty on the lawn, like all the other dogs. She does it in my garage, or my back patio. If she is in the house and running around frolicking, she will just stop what she does when its time to "go", and do so on my tile!   :eek:  What is she thinking?!?! I have decided to crate her while we are gone. (we don't leave for that long without someone here at the house) and everytime she does her business in the house and I catch her, I immediately pick her up, show her what she did, I tell her "no" firmly, and I stick her out through the doggy door. I make her stay outside for about 5 minutes. Am I doing the right thing? She goes outside to do her business ALOT of the time. So I know she understands how to do it outside. And when I am out back with the girls, and I see her go potty, I always am chirpy and cheerfuls and telling her good girl. I use vinegar to clean up her messes, I heard it masks the smell. Is that what I should be using? Well of course I use water and soap first. Will this get any easier? I have not had pups before, I always get my doggies from the pound, and they are always older. I'm sorry if this question is asked a lot, I did a search on crate training, but don't know if that applies, since she has a doggy door. Thank you all in advance, and sorry this was such a long post. I do love her, other than her evil devilish ways......I just hope that she can outgrow this.....Soon

edited to change subject and add a few things....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:55:13 AM by reesesgma »
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared -Buddha

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
Re: 11 week old boxer, potty issues....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:41:04 PM »
I think you are asking a lot from an 11 week old puppy. A dogs bladder is not fully developed until they are 10 months old and in between just like a toddler will have accidents and sometimes even regress completely, they usually out grow this but it does take time and patience. As for crating, always a good idea for a puppy. The doggie door is a great idea for older dogs but puppies need a lot of supervision while outside, they can get into way to much mischief.  Just wait until this pup is eight or ten months old! It is a lot of fun having a puppy but a lot of work as well. Good Luck.
"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 09:42:39 PM »
I agree with critterchic 100%. I also suggest you crate her when you cannot watch her and tie her to your side for supervision so she cannot have accidents. Doggie dors are fine for the adults, yes, but you cannot expect a puppy.. much less 11 weeks old, to use it. Use lots of treats and priase when she potties outside. In a few months her control will get better but all dogs will have accidents sometimes.

Offline reesesgma

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 02:07:37 AM »
Thanks for the input! I know that she is young, and I guess I just never quite thought about her as being young SO young. Like I mentioned, I had never really owned a puppy before, and so this whole, potty thing has been frustrating. I will deffinately make sure I do the whole 1 hour per month bladder thing, which should put her at about 2-3 hours max and she will need to go pee. Sounds about right. I feel bad now, for expecting her to move faster with the bladder issue. Thank you for your help!
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared -Buddha

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:27:25 PM »
Also, just to add because I don't see it elsewhere.  At the breeder was she used to urinating on concrete or another hard surface?  As opposed to going on grass?  Just a thought.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline reesesgma

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:29:27 PM »
Actually she is a rescue. Well of sorts....A lady at the local sams club was talking in line about dropping her off in the country because she could not stand her. The ladies son had brought her (the pup) home. I told her that if she was serious I would take her and find her a home. I followed her home and she handed her over to me. Well of course as soon as she wimpered through the night and when I pulled her into my bed, she snuggled up on my neck...she had found a home. ;-) I dont even know if she had shots. My vet said its safe to redo them, we so did.  Here is a cute adorable pic of her! How can anyone just "drop her off in the country??" We have coyotes around here, she would have been dinner.
she has dirt on her nose from digging out back...silly goose!

Offline nevadamoon

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »
She's so cute! 

I definitely think she's used to going on concrete/slick surfaces, and that could have a big thing to do with why she's going on those places.  I've walked dogs that were used to being 'inside/puppypad' dogs, and they wouldn't go NEAR the grass.

When you take her out, try walking out with her.  Go to a part of the yard you want her to eliminate in (It helps if its where your other pups do it.) and try to keep her in that area when you know she has to go.  If she starts running to a different place, just call her back.  Once she potties, just praise her like crazy.  :P

When we took in our pibble pup, she was 10 weeks old and housebroken.  Of course, you had to take her out FREQUENTLY or she'd potty inside anyway.  But the people who had had her before (and owned her parents) were breeding in their apartment.  (NO idea why.  Dumb idea if you ask me, but they mean well I think.)  So, she got taken out a lot, and learned to go potty outside in that way.

Crating is also a great idea, too.  :) Just be patient, and she'll catch on.  She just needs more supervision right now before she understands to use the doggie door.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 09:33:35 AM »
Crate training diver (10 month old boxer) was one of the best things we did for him. And I will say, it took a while for him to not have any accidents in the house. It took a lot of time and patiance to potty train him. Your puppy is cute :) not as cute as diver but Im biased. She looks like she's going to be a big dog.. She looks like a mix... Any ideas as to what?

Diver began his potty training on snow and it took a bit of time before he realized it was okay to go on the grass)
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
Good advice from everyone. Crate training is key for any puppy. I also highly recommend Dr. Ian Dunbar's Before and After You Get Your Puppy books for a better understanding of how puppies and dogs learn. :) Dogstardaily.com is a great free resource for training information and videos. And keep up the socializing! (I know you didn't mention it but an undsocialized dog ends up being a bigger problem than one that isn't potty-trained). :thumbsup2:

Edited to add a link to the DSD page on housetraining.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:54:26 PM by mandycoot »

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
Oh, gosh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this thread had been bumped up from two years ago! Usually I'm better about checking, especially if it's originally posted by someone who hasn't been active in quite some time. :doh: